What's new

Derby blades, A winner

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Deep dredging

proxy.php

Very deep indeed! So old it predates the blade subforum. Wow.

Maybe a moderator will stumble upon it and move it there.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Sorry about that .I'm new here and I saw about that blade and I wrote...
Not a problem, Darius. Good ol' Derbys seem to be maligned around here lately and it's refreshing to see a positive word once in a while. The Derby Extra is an old favorite and one of the very few brands of which I've bought a second 100.

Welcome to B&B!

Aren’t you one?

Currently retired from my mod duties and left mod powerless. :blushing:

I like that this thread was brought back from the dead also! I love Derby's, but I usually only get 2-3 good shaves from one. I get virtually the same shave from Voskhod's, but they last me twice as long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got 100 Derby Premiums along with 100 GSBs I bought awhile back but haven't broke out any of the Derbys yet. I figured for only three bucks more than the GSBs by themselves it was worth a shot (got all 200 blades for under $19.) I think tomorrow I'll throw one in the Super Speed and see if it's any good for the 3rd pass on my neck, since everything else I've tried there leaves me irritated for a few hours afterwards.

Allegedly the Premiums have the same coatings as an Extra but are made of a higher grade of steel. We'll see.

Derby was the first DE blade I used. After 2 horrible shaves I tossed it and refused to try them again. 4 years later I got a pack with an Edwin Jagger DE89. So I gave them another shot and got a great shave. Now they're in my blade rotation.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Derby in R41, slants, and Fatip.

My R41 is my only razor I dont like Derby Extra in lol. Conversely, the R41 is the only razor I have that lacks rigidity. Polsilver and Feather both work well in it, but Polsilvers also work well in all my razors.

In my Fatip Grande, a Derby Extra is a 2 1/2 pass BBS shave, but they only last 4-5 shaves.

Sorry about that .I'm new here and I saw about that blade and I wrote...

Welcome to the forum!

No apology needed. If the thread is still around, feel free to reply to them. Many times some may need a wake up call, like this one lol.

Derby Extra is one of my top 3 blades, from around 30 I've tried. I have almost 300 of them.

I got 100 Derby Premiums along with 100 GSBs I bought awhile back but haven't broke out any of the Derbys yet. I figured for only three bucks more than the GSBs by themselves it was worth a shot (got all 200 blades for under $19.) I think tomorrow I'll throw one in the Super Speed and see if it's any good for the 3rd pass on my neck, since everything else I've tried there leaves me irritated for a few hours afterwards.

Allegedly the Premiums have the same coatings as an Extra but are made of a higher grade of steel. We'll see.
Dunno, but I find it hard to believe anyone could think Derby Premium isn't at least good. I bought 100 and I'm glad I did. I have no idea if it's any different from Derby Extra, but there are members here with the tools to figure it out, at least as to dimensions.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Dunno, but I find it hard to believe anyone could think Derby Premium isn't at least good. I bought 100 and I'm glad I did. I have no idea if it's any different from Derby Extra, but there are members here with the tools to figure it out, at least as to dimensions.

I havent tried the newer Derby blades. My entire stash is the older pre 2016 version.

Everyone's face, beard hair, and prep is different. Some find it doesn't cut well enough. But that's why there are lots of different kinds of blades available.

My R41 is my only razor I dont like Derby Extra in lol. Conversely, the R41 is the only razor I have that lacks rigidity. Polsilver and Feather both work well in it, but Polsilvers also work well in all my razors.

In my Fatip Grande, a Derby Extra is a 2 1/2 pass BBS shave, but they only last 4-5 shaves.

Welcome to the forum!

No apology needed. If the thread is still around, feel free to reply to them. Many times some may need a wake up call, like this one lol.

Derby Extra is one of my top 3 blades, from around 30 I've tried. I have almost 300 of them.
Good!!!What do you think about the Supermax Platinum +?
Greetings from Brasil!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thx,cause I bought 100 blades of this one...

I think thats the same blade I tried. They didnt work well for me, but I hope they do for you.

If you want to try a lot of different blade types, you can order as many or as few of any blade you want at Try A Blade.

I remember when I first got into traditional wet shaving about 8 or so years ago and it seemed like Derby's were pretty popular. Lately I can't seem to find to many positive reviews on them. I must have really liked them though because I think I have close to 100 of them.

Everyone's face, beard hair, and prep is different. Some find it doesn't cut well enough. But that's why there are lots of different kinds of blades available.
Yup, true. And I find most blades I've tried to be good enough, so I'm probably not one to ask. Some do seem to last longer than others, though.

Top Bottom