What's new

Derby blades, A winner

I never tried them until I got a pack with an Edwin Jagger DE89. I thought they were rubbish. I had been DE shaving for well over a decade and they caused more irritation than almost any other blade I've used.

I find Derby Extra blades lovely and smooth but they just don’t shave as closely as I want. I’ve tried to love them because I really enjoy shaving with them but I get annoyed at the lack of closeness. Maybe I should try them again and add an extra pass or two to my routine.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I find Derby Extra blades lovely and smooth but they just don’t shave as closely as I want. I’ve tried to love them because I really enjoy shaving with them but I get annoyed at the lack of closeness. Maybe I should try them again and add an extra pass or two to my routine.

Some razors, and some blades, take more work to get the same final result.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
True. I don't like the Jagger DE89 for that very reason.

Derby Extra has been good for for me in all my razors. Sharp enough and very smooth. In my Fatip Grande its a 2 1/2 pass BBS. First pass WTG/XTG, second pass ATG, clean up ATG over my swirls.

A Gillette Yellow or Polsilver in that razor however is a single buffing pass ATG and one very small clean up. The Derby Extra just doesnt have enough sharpness to let me shave first pass ATG without tugging.

All 3 blades in that razor give me the same ~10 hour BBS finish just the way I shave changes. In a very rigid design like the Fatip or NEW SC, Derby Extra can be a very nice blade.

Top Bottom