What's new

The MMA Thread

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
But he did slow down in the second, I'll attribute that to the ring rust, but he showed heart. What a fight.

I noticed GSP slowing in the latter part of the 2nd ... hands way down a lot and such ... and then I wondered about that when he did his post-fight interview with Joe Rogan and said that Bisping caught him at one point and he "tried to cover it up" ... maybe he was dazed from a blow rather than tired? I wish Rogan had asked him specifically about the end of the second and looking tired.

Yeah, he's always such a machine in fights that it was odd to see him winded that fast. An injury from the fight makes sense, that and (even if he denies it) some ring rust.

Finally got around to seeing GSP vs Bisping. Wow, great fight. It was like the tide was turning Bisping's way and then knockdown and submission. I agree with Mr. Lara, this puts to rest the GOAT debate. It's GSP, I don't see an argument otherwise.

Garbrandt vs Dillashaw was great too. It appeared TJ may have been saved by the bell at the first then he knocks out Cody. Glad for TJ.

And Rose knocks out JJ, never saw that coming. Well done.

It was some great stuff. Dana said that, no mistake, Whitaker is next for GSP. Made no mention of any moving around in weight, just Whitaker. Man, that's scary. But now we know that 185 is a real possibility for GSP. Man, coming back and taking the title after four years, at a higher weight class, and then beating Bobby Knuckles to unify it? That would be insanely awesome.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I agree with Mr. Lara, this puts to rest the GOAT debate. It's GSP, I don't see an argument otherwise.

If I had a time machine, I'd put GSP at the height of his 185 powers against Anderson Silva in his prime. IMHO that would be the ultimate UFC fight ... but of course it won't happen until someone invents that time machine.

it was awesome to witness that kind of history. but now the rumor is that gsp/conor is now a possibility... i know dana said this and that. But he doesn't call the shots anymore. And that fight could be a huge money bringer.

I sure hope it doesn't happen. Both conor and gsp have a murderers row waiting for them to defend.

And it doesn't help that conor said this now:

“They’ve (UFC) got to entice me now because I came from a billion-dollar fight. You’ve got to entice me with some equity. I want ownership. I want to be true partners in this similar to the way I was in the Floyd fight,” McGregor said during a media scrum. “I was a promoter and I was a fighter. That must continue for me to continue. Otherwise, I’ve got many entities and many interests that can carry on also. I’m already set. They must entice me.”

You gotta wonder who his adviser is.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
McGregor said during a media scrum. “I was a promoter and I was a fighter. That must continue for me to continue. Otherwise, I’ve got many entities and many interests that can carry on also. I’m already set. They must entice me.”

You gotta wonder who his adviser is.

I think UFC will continue to evolve, and they have to walk a balance between how they treat their stars, and how they treat their non-stars. Some guys are going to bring in huge numbers and revenue, and I can see both sides being willing to work something out along a "% of the card" situation.

Dana made a comment about Mighty Mouse in the post-217 conference ... asked about MM wanting so many millions for a match or whatever ... and the way I read the response was that MM would be getting a cut of the PPV sales, so you get what you get depending on how well you draw. So I'd think the same sort of thing would apply to Conor ... but maybe not to the degree Conor wants? It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Personally, I'd like to see Conor defend his belt against whomever is the top contender, and GSP ditto. They can have a "superfight" later.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's Floyd.
HA! you're probably right.

@Doc4, i think you're right about the ppv points, but i think mm doesn't get a ppv cut because i think in order for a fighter to get that, they have to reach a certain number of ppv buys.

i still think he ducked dillashaw for an easy fight, so he could break Anderson's defense record.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
@Doc4, i think you're right about the ppv points, but i think mm doesn't get a ppv cut because i think in order for a fighter to get that, they have to reach a certain number of ppv buys.

Go to 9.45 ... "you're a partner in the PPV ... let's see what your PPV does." Seems like he's "talking to" MM, so presumably MM is a partner in the PPV.

So it looks like it's now time to pay for the awesomeness of the 217 card. Both Frankie Edgar and Dominick Cruz are injured and out of their respective fights.

Yeah, Anderson and Bones. Maybe the two greatest to do it so far, but Anderson got flagged twice and Jones' been slapping asterisks next to his accomplishments like he took out a trademark on "*".

I did love GSP's stance on it when asked a little while ago. “There’s no such thing as the Greatest Of All Time. It doesn’t exist. It’s an illusion.”

Top Bottom