What's new

The MMA Thread

Wow! He was on him like an octopus. After almost getting him in the previous round, he really imposed it for the finish.

Wow, I didn't see RDA taking Lawler, especially not in a relatively dominant fashion. That was pretty incredible.

Robbie's been at it a long time with so many wars. It's reasonable that he's on the downside of his career. Though, I'm also surprised. Frankly I thought RDA was a juicer that lost his mojo with new testing. Maybe not.

I was under a similar impression with RDA, honestly. I wonder if the drastic weight cuts he did at LW were a contributing factor.

Did you see that Robert Follis passed away? That's a shame. He seemed like a fantastic coach and the fighters he worked with seemed to hold him in very high esteem.

I was under a similar impression with RDA, honestly. I wonder if the drastic weight cuts he did at LW were a contributing factor
I think that might be it. Both guys showed outstanding cardio for 5 rounds, most of it action packed. RDA's Muay Thai was outstanding - leg kicks, knees, body shots, elbows, Thai plum head control. He was going for flying knees in round 5!

Lawlor did not have a leg to stand on but he kept trying to make something happen. What a warrior.

Ah, that was another thing! The way he was able to keep Robbie in that plum was amazing. Robbie was a good deal bigger than him, but that clinch was locked down tight.

Tomorrows Nurmy vs. Barboza looks like it might actually happen! Unless Khabib slips on an icecube and blows out his knees, that is. I'm super looking forward to it. I was set on him vs. Tony, but I have to admit that while Barboza isn't at the very tippy-top he is kind of tailor made to fit Khabib's one kind of glaring issue: he gets hit. Michael Johnson had him on queer street for a few seconds, and I think Barboza is faster and hits harder, so Khabib better bring his A game and keep his hands up. Barboza's striking is so incredible when he gets started. Should be an awesome fight.

I'm also glad to see Condit back. I hope he does well.

Did you guys see that Gabi Garcia garbage? Did she actually think that she'd be anywhere near that weight? I've seen the Japanese put on some trash fights, and I loved me some Pride freak show fights, but that giant against a 53+ year old, and no offense to the lady, but blown out woman? No doubt that she's tough and deserves credit, but Gabi would murder her. If you're going to have Mrs. Shinobu fight, then at least don't intentionally drop her in a meat grinder. That fight would be like putting my hero, Mr. Kazushi Sakuraba, as he is now, in a fight with Francis Ngannou. Not cool, man.

Slip on an icecube - hilarious!!! You're dead on to question whether he will actually fight given the goings-on of the past couple of years. I think this is Barboza's big chance. They showed some training video of him and he is so explosive. He has to keep from getting smothered, which is easier said than done.

I am glad to see Condit back too. He was so dominated in that short fight with Maia, and that is no way to go out for a warrior like him.

Maybe Gabi Garcia thought SHE was going to fight Ngannou and that she was comfortably under the limit. 28 pounds is more than one extra trip to Fogo de Chao. Even too much for the Japan NYE extravaganza to ignore.

I have long thought that the penalties for missing weight in UFC fights is not enough. 20% of the purse is customary, but in many cases not having to make weight gives a huge advantage over the fighter who did cut the last pounds. A tough business.

I've wondered if there was something else in the Gabi weight disaster. Like they were both trying to get the fight cancelled or if it was a work all along. Regardless I just can't respect so many fights in Japan, too much of a freak show.

Poor Condit. I like Magny, but hated to see Carlos lose, especially when I strongly feel he beat Lawlor and has never gotten to wear UFC gold.

I'm glad writers are finally talking about how Dana White openly protected Ronda and badmouthed Cyborg at every turn to prevent that fight from happening. Ronda was initially a 145er and I believe dropped in the first place to avoid her. I'm sorry for Holly, but glad Cyborg is getting credit for how good she is and has always been.

I wondered about Nurmy's knees, but he dominated like Barboza. If he can ever get to the fight, I don't think Conor stands a chance. That if, Conor isn't leaving for good to box.

McGregor is getting enormous leeway as the rainmaker, isn't he? I wonder when/if he will take a fight or be stripped of the title. He has made it clear that fighters need to make their case to him and he will decide who is worthy of a match. I don't see him fighting a skilled grappler like Nurmagomedov who could hang onto him for 5 rounds if needed. Too much risk to the rep.

I think both top guys right now, Khabib and Tony, would be extremely bad fights for Connor. I still think that a Champion of a weight division needs to fight at least once, if not twice a year. I don't think 12 months should go by without a title defense, and that's only if the champ is injured and needs recovery time. If the recovery is going to take longer than that, then they should vacate and be offered an immediate title shot upon return. I know that that would *** up their title defense record, but it's just not fair to keep a division tied up. Connor is just being entitled, and is doing everything except defending the title against the top contenders. It's not even really all his fault, the UFC has spoiled him badly and now they're getting back the fruits of that labor. I don't know, I tried to like him, but I just can't.

I think both top guys right now, Khabib and Tony, would be extremely bad fights for Connor. I still think that a Champion of a weight division needs to fight at least once, if not twice a year. I don't think 12 months should go by without a title defense, and that's only if the champ is injured and needs recovery time. If the recovery is going to take longer than that, then they should vacate and be offered an immediate title shot upon return. I know that that would *** up their title defense record, but it's just not fair to keep a division tied up. Connor is just being entitled, and is doing everything except defending the title against the top contenders. It's not even really all his fault, the UFC has spoiled him badly and now they're getting back the fruits of that labor. I don't know, I tried to like him, but I just can't.
You nailed it. The difference now is that it isn't the Fertita's and Dana's show anymore. It will be interesting to see how the "more corporate" ownership handles him.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
McGregor is getting enormous leeway as the rainmaker, isn't he?

I still think that a Champion of a weight division needs to fight at least once, if not twice a year. I don't think 12 months should go by without a title defense, and that's only if the champ is injured and needs recovery time.

The difference now is that it isn't the Fertita's and Dana's show anymore. It will be interesting to see how the "more corporate" ownership handles him.

IMHO, one of the best things UFC had going for it was a unified, top-down power structure ... compared to boxing. That gave the UFC the opportunity to tell the fighters ... all the fighters ... "you fight whom I say, when I say". Unfortunately, instead of using that power wisely, to consistently preserve the sanctity of contender rankings and to have titles defended on a regular basis against the best contender, it was used to chase the almighty dollar ... booking "popular" fights, making fighters wear Reebok uniforms, protecting big-name stars ... and UFC has lost significant credibility.

The more they combine that attitude with a reliance on star fighters, the harder it will be to put the genie back in the bottle.

proxy.php

Great analysis.

BTW - he just was tweeting (I paraphrase) that fighters need to kneel and beg him for a fight. He ain't goin' back in that bottle. Dana hopes he fights by summer....

Totally agree, Doc. They had an ideal position and could have used it to really make actual, tangible improvements to the sport. Instead we got Reebok and Connor and great company men like Cowboy and Frankie Edgar getting told that they "Gotta win them all" if they want better pay.

McGregor is getting enormous leeway as the rainmaker, isn't he? .

MacGregor is the only true star they have. GSP is big, very big, but not on Conor's level, nor does he seem to have much interest in fighting. I think his return was mostly about a personal test to himself, not a real return.
Conor is so much bigger than anyone they've ever had before, he can do whatever he wants and he knows it. Honestly I think if he can get 2 or 3 more big boxing matches, those will be all he does and he'll retire. When he loses to Mayweather, or Pacquiao or someone like that, no one cares and he'll probably still make 50 million. If he loses to Tony Ferguson, that really hurts him. Not to mention that he'll make a fraction of what he makes in the ring.

Great points Ian. The ranking system has become laughable. They've protected people, they've shown significant inconsistency with policies and I don't see any of it changing. WME is an entertainment business. I don't think they have any real experience running a sport. And the UFC has essentially become a "For Real" Pro Wrestling Organization.

Well, Dana just said that Khabib may fight Tony. If Connor wants to fight around Spring then Khabib and Tony will fight for the interim title, but if he wants to sit out until fall or winter then they will fight for the real title. So, now at least there is rumbling of Connor finally getting stripped if he continues to refuse to fight.

Also, Amanda Nunes will be fighting Cyborg. That's a tough fight. Nunes is really, really good, and Holly at least made Cybord look slightly human, but that is a tough fight.

Well, Dana just said that Khabib may fight Tony. If Connor wants to fight around Spring then Khabib and Tony will fight for the interim title, but if he wants to sit out until fall or winter then they will fight for the real title. So, now at least there is rumbling of Connor finally getting stripped if he continues to refuse to fight.

Also, Amanda Nunes will be fighting Cyborg. That's a tough fight. Nunes is really, really good, and Holly at least made Cybord look slightly human, but that is a tough fight.

For the Cyborg/Nunes fight. I think Cyborg wins at 145, while Nunes wins at 135, as Cyborg can't safely make that cut.

Well, Stipe got it done. Longest HW title reign in UFC history. Dana was interested in him vs DC, which would be a good fight. DC is pretty accomplished himself at HW, and while Stipe has a size advantage, so has everyone else he faced at that weight. DC shot it down and said that Cain is returning, which would make things very interesting at HW, especially if(big, giant, enormous if) he can stay healthy enough to make a run and the time off didn't affect him too much.

Did you guys see Rory's leg? Man, that is grotesque. Just a hematoma, but Jesus. Reminded me of Mark Hominick's forehead after the Aldo fight.

Dana also said that Khabib vs. Tony's fight is for the real belt. He didn't say that Connor has been stripped, but it's kind of hard to fight for the real title if the real reigning champion is not in the fight, so it's implied that Connor is no longer champ. Not gonna bet the house that that doesn't change between then and now, though. If anyone can find a way to leverage out of being stripped of a title despite not doing anything to retain it, it's going to be Connor.

Top Bottom