What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

You guys find some amazing razors.

I would love to know where you find them. Ebay? Yard sales? Antique stores? What's the back story? Do you plan to shave with the razor?

Not saying it isn't a treat just to see the photographs.

Beautiful pictures, too. Some talented "razor photographers" around these parts.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I found almost all my razors at antique stores, or flea markets. My wife bought me a fat boy off ebay, and I bought a Fatip Piccolo off ebay. I have seen many SE razors at antique stores. I have not however seen a set like the C.V. Heljestrand. Ebay prices for me are usually too high, although sometimes you can find some great deals.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I found almost all my razors at antique stores, or flea markets. My wife bought me a fat boy off ebay, and I bought a Fatip Piccolo off ebay. I have seen many SE razors at antique stores. I have not however seen a set like the C.V. Heljestrand. Ebay prices for me are usually too high, although sometimes you can find some great deals.

Thanks.

I have a nice, small collection mostly purchased on ebay, but I do not want to pay ebay prices for any more razors beyond one I'm looking for (a GEM G Bar) as a shaver.

After that, I plan to maybe look a bit at yard sales, estate sales, flea markets, and antique shops. For bargains.

Nice wife you have. Fatboy!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks.

I have a nice, small collection mostly purchased onin my areaebay, but I do not want to pay ebay prices for any more razors beyond one I'm looking for (a GEM G Bar) as a shaver.

After that, I plan to maybe look a bit at yard sales, estate sales, flea markets, and antique shops. For bargains.

Nice wife you have. Fatboy!

Happy shaves,

Jim
Your welcome, I got lucky on the wife front. She enables my RAD.

You guys find some amazing razors.

I would love to know where you find them. Ebay? Yard sales? Antique stores? What's the back story? Do you plan to shave with the razor?

Not saying it isn't a treat just to see the photographs.

Beautiful pictures, too. Some talented "razor photographers" around these parts.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I've only been collecting a little over a year, and I get all mine at antique stores. It's quality time spent with my wife, who is collecting vintage Pyrex. Last year, I bought a Flare Tip Super Speed off if Etsy, but even though the price was right, and the razor was immaculate, I didn't get the same satisfaction I get from finding one in person.
So far, I shave, or plan to shave with all my razors. I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have to put some away, and just keep my favorites, or worn models, out for regular use. The ones that won't be regularly used, will be available for special months (SEptember, OCtober, razor of the month, etc.). I also have a few that I need to work on before I use them.

Got this the other day. Don't now what it is. The seller described it as a Barbasol clone. Shaves oK. Made a cool sound when shaving like the Gem razors I have. Any ideas on brand? The razor blade sits flat against the comb. I wonder if it might shave better if shimmed?
barbasol clone.jpg barbasol clone II.jpg barbasol clone IIl.jpg

Got this the other day. Don't now what it is. The seller described it as a Barbasol clone. Shaves oK. Made a cool sound when shaving like the Gem razors I have. Any ideas on brand? The razor blade sits flat against the comb. I wonder if it might shave better if shimmed?
View attachment 827985 View attachment 827986 View attachment 827987
Got me. I have a Barbasol clone which looks like a Cooper from the handle but your handle I haven't seen.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

View attachment 827985 View attachment 827986 View attachment 827987

Per the Safety Razor Compendium there have been literally thousands of razors from hundreds to thousands of makers worldwide, many unmarked. Per the listings even many with a brand name cannot be identified with a particular maker and many are unidentified. I have a early, believed circa 1912, Henckels Rapide with no identification on the razor but it came in a Henckels marked box and is identical to others I have seen with the Henckels markings on the razor, so even large makers did not always mark their products. Post both WW1 and WW2 German makers may have preferred to be anonymous in some countries if allowed to. I have certainly seen many German razors with no mark other than a GERMANY marking. Country of origin was required for import into the USA during certain periods. I wish it still was.

I've only been collecting for just over a year now, and never found any 1914 razors in the wild, until now. Well, my daughter found them and picked them up for me (yes, I paid her back!).
View attachment 825196
Schick E2, Mahoganite set, and Ever-Ready 1914, '53 Plastic handle Tech, and a Segal DE.
View attachment 825197 View attachment 825198
The Schick came in this nice plastic or Bakelite box, that had been inscribed to Harry W. Estelle. I tried looking him up, and it looks like he and his wife, Mildred, are buried in Hazel Wood Cemetery, in Clark, NJ. So far, I haven't had the time to really dig and find out anything else about him, yet.
Inside the box lid is stamped "Made by Magazine Repeating Razor Co. New York Made in U.S.A."

View attachment 825199
I was super excited when I realized this was one of the razors she was bringing me, and I was not dissappointed when it was actually in my hands. This razor is virtually flawless, and the box is in super terrific condition. I'll use the other 1914 for shaving, and keep this one in its case, only for emergencies!
Very nice score and a very thoughtful daughter! Congrats!

Thank you! We're very proud of her. On top of her growing into a beautiful and smart young lady, she's acquired the antiquing bug, and she's collecting vintage Pyrex like her mother.
My son is old school to and I'm proud that he's got that in his personality and heart. I'd say we did a good job raising them right? :thumbsup:

Cross this one off my want list - scored an Ever Ready E-Bar from a seller in the UK. I may have paid too much, but I was able to combine it with a nice cased Wardonia DE at a very good price from the same seller, so it all evened out. Pics when it arrives.

I bought this 1912 set and really like it. The case looks like bakelite, but can't tell for sure. I can't find this one on Waits Compendium, does anyone know anything about it?
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

It may have been produced for the export market, hence the prominent "Made In U.S.A." marking. Similar to the US and French versions, although the French Stars have a slightly more ornate handle. Look again in Waits, page 402. The one in the red cardboard carton looks like yours.

Here what I got yesterday - my first SE
proxy.php
proxy.php

Надіслано від мого Redmi Note 3, використовуючи Tapatalk

Top Bottom