What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

Picked up this nice, but a bit rough looking, Schick Repeater this past Saturday. It was all I found, but I was OK with that. I never thought I'd see one of these in the wild!
View attachment 820324
After some reading, I realized I was lucky that it came with a blade magazine. There's also about 7 or 8 unused blades. After a soak in Dawn and toothbrush scrub, I can get it to work once, then when I pull back the handle the 2nd time, all the insides come out. Once I re-assemble it, it will work only one time again. The stack of blades is stuck together, so I think I just need to rinse them in some alcohol or acetone, finish cleaning the razor and a light polishing, then it should work a lot better.

If I read correctly, there's an issue with modern blades not being as thick as the vintage blades, so I should expect it to jam up if I stack new blades in it, correct? I'll see how the old blades look and act after their bath. I guess I'll just use new blades in it one at a time.
Load modern blades by hand (grip the blade with a plyers), it's what we all do. Sometimes you have to press the head on a hard surface so it grips the blade more tightly, that's usually easily accomplished. Don't mess with the internal loader.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Schick Injector E2 made in Canada arrived yesterday and I have already done the cleaning - it is in good condition to use it now.

proxy.php

proxy.php

An inexplicable CV Heljestrand variation:

Just arrived from Argentina a CV Heljestrand that to a casual glance is a chromed brass one in 99% condition, at least for the razor. Came with a chromed brass two piece handle in a large case with a auto stropper and strop though the leather strop looks like probably replaced as it is a different color and rough on one side, different than other CVH strops. Only one blade though the case has slots for seven. Set also includes the blade holder for honing, not usual for the large case sets with the strop assembly based on others I have. The case includes a slot for it.

The case is the first CVH case I have seen without metal hinges. It uses a heavy cloth and leather hinge strip. Also has a wood blade holder block rather than the commoner molded plastic.

The second oddity is that the head is marked the same as my stainless steel CVH razor heads and does not have the usual "Kindal" and "Fabrique En Suede" stamps on the head seen on my chromed brass CVH heads. Out of curiosity I tested it with a magnet and it reacts, very weakly but the reaction is there. Apparently this razor is a stainless steel head and two piece brass handle. This is a combination I have not seen before and considering that there is nothing on the internet about stainless CVH razors, other than my posts, another unrecognized combination apparently. In this day and age no way to determine if factory original or a assembled set but a real surprise to me, just as my first two all stainless steel CVH razors were. Another possible combination for collectors to check for.

As I have posted in the past any skeptics or those just interested in seeing some of my collection are invited to stop by if or when in the Reno area. Contact me via the messaging inbox first to get the address and phone number.

CVH-BASA.jpg
CVH-BASA-2.jpg

Picked up this nice, but a bit rough looking, Schick Repeater this past Saturday. It was all I found, but I was OK with that. I never thought I'd see one of these in the wild!
View attachment 820324
After some reading, I realized I was lucky that it came with a blade magazine. There's also about 7 or 8 unused blades. After a soak in Dawn and toothbrush scrub, I can get it to work once, then when I pull back the handle the 2nd time, all the insides come out. Once I re-assemble it, it will work only one time again. The stack of blades is stuck together, so I think I just need to rinse them in some alcohol or acetone, finish cleaning the razor and a light polishing, then it should work a lot better.

If I read correctly, there's an issue with modern blades not being as thick as the vintage blades, so I should expect it to jam up if I stack new blades in it, correct? I'll see how the old blades look and act after their bath. I guess I'll just use new blades in it one at a time.

i think they are great i have the type A,B and C, i use NOS blades. as a mater of fact i saw a box of 6 magazines (80 blades) just this last week. i have not had problems with mine using new blade either, but some are sensitive to the thickness.
i would be interested in seeing the parts you have, the whole thing should not come apart until it is empty and you need to release the spring to take it out. if the blades are not being lifted by the spring it may be causing the issue.
all of the blades come coated in oil originally, and it they just sat in the razor it probably dried our and glued them together.
the NOS blades are not as sharp as modern stainless steal blades, but i get fine shaves and use my type A as my travel razor.

View attachment 820324

here is a link to the instructions for your razor.
Schick Magazine Injector Razor

i think they are great i have the type A,B and C, i use NOS blades. as a mater of fact i saw a box of 6 magazines (80 blades) just this last week. i have not had problems with mine using new blade either, but some are sensitive to the thickness.
i would be interested in seeing the parts you have, the whole thing should not come apart until it is empty and you need to release the spring to take it out. if the blades are not being lifted by the spring it may be causing the issue.
all of the blades come coated in oil originally, and it they just sat in the razor it probably dried our and glued them together.
the NOS blades are not as sharp as modern stainless steal blades, but i get fine shaves and use my type A as my travel razor.
The blades are stuck together, and I think that's what's causing it to only work one time. The spring appears to be in good shape. Once it injects the top blade, I think the gunk on the next blade is catching on the slide mechanism. Also, the little nipple on the bottom piece that is supposed to catch on the indent in the handle may be a little worn. I believe those two factors are what's contributing to the whole mechanism coming out. I think I need to clean the blades, and see if I can square up the bottom rail catch to make it engage and hold better.

I'll see if I can get some better pictures this evening, and post them. I'll more than like post them to a new thread, but I'll reference your name to alert you to it - Your input on this is greatly appreciated!
here is a link to the instructions for your razor.
Schick Magazine Injector Razor

That's really cool! Thanks!

Lock and load!

I just paid possibly too much for a Eagle lather catcher razor originally made in New York. Complete including paperwork and both a original soap stick tube and a brush it appears. Everything looks to be in decent condition. I got it on a "best offer" for about 60% of the BIN listed price, which was IMO ridiculous for a proprietary blade razor that is not too uncommon.

I call it a semi-Gem blade razor as the original blades are a Gem blade clone but shortened vertically by about 0.160" or 4mm. Width of the Eagle blades is the same as Gem blades within a few thousandths. I have a less complete set and made blades that fit it perfectly from Gem SS PTFE blades, but I am a hobbyist machinist. Gives a quite mild shave compared to most razors of it's era..

Another unusual feature is the key operation of the blade top clamp It rotates about 45 degrees to extend and retract the blade top clamp. The top clamp is similar in operation to that on the Star SCS razor. This basic design of top clamp is much friendlier to blade edge stops than the flipper which can repeatedly impact the blade top, eventually causing blade stops to be damaged.

Note too the included blade holder for blade honing and stropping. The early Gem type blades were expected to be honed and stropped by many owners even though they only cost about 5 to 10 cents each while a Kampfe wedge blade was about $1.00, which was 40% of a days wages for many working folks.

Eagle-6.jpg
Eagle-2.jpg
Eagle-4.jpg
Eagle-5.jpg

An inexplicable CV Heljestrand variation:

The second oddity is that the head is marked the same as my stainless steel CVH razor heads and does not have the usual "Kindal" and "Fabrique En Suede" stamps on the head seen on my chromed brass CVH heads.

IIRC, "Kindal" was a cutlery firm in France that marketed the Heljestrand razors with their own stamp on them, so I'm not surprised by its absence. I find it more interesting that the blade is marked "Thursday" in Spanish, as you would expect in Argentina, but the lining script is in English.

IIRC, "Kindal" was a cutlery firm in France that marketed the Heljestrand razors with their own stamp on them, so I'm not surprised by its absence. I find it more interesting that the blade is marked "Thursday" in Spanish, as you would expect in Argentina, but the lining script is in English.

I have heard from a Swedish member who seems to follow and collect the CV Heljestrand straight razors that Kindal actually bought an interest in the CVH company in the late 1920s, he said 1927. My only source for this information. I have cased sets with the Kindal stamp on the razor head but not on the case interior and vice versa. None of the apparent stainless steel razor heads have the Kindal stamp. The Kindal name use on the CVH razors seems to make little sense, at least to me at this point in time. Always trying to learn more though.

I have heard from a Swedish member who seems to follow and collect the CV Heljestrand straight razors that Kindal actually bought an interest in the CVH company in the late 1920s, he said 1927. My only source for this information. I have cased sets with the Kindal stamp on the razor head but not on the case interior and vice versa. None of the apparent stainless steel razor heads have the Kindal stamp. The Kindal name use on the CVH razors seems to make little sense, at least to me at this point in time. Always trying to learn more though.

I had assumed (dangerous, I know) that the Kindal arrangement was similar to Hoffritz and Coles (and others) selling Merkur slant razors under their own name. At least Kindal didn't try to pretend they'd actually manufactured the razor.

Using Google search I found a history of Kindal in French. Per Google translate, it states that Kindal bought CV Heljestrand but no year was given. This is not in the CV Heljestrand history that is online. Possibly a partial buyout or a purchase of all French rights to sell the razors? Confusing to say the least.

I believe I might the Swedish member. Heljestrand and Magnus Kindal had a Hoffritz like arrangement in the early 1920's. It resulted in the Heljestrand Kindal product series designed by Kindal and produced by the Heljestrand. In 1925 Kindal bought the Heljestrand company and transformed it into a major success. The Heljestrand company stayed in the Kindal family until 1980 when Heljestrand went out of business.

your razoŕs and the simplex razor ( my dream razor)were created by magnus kindal and made by CVH who was their company ( berthe kindal have bought the company ) . it´s somewhere in the french link i've sent you in another thread ( on the right bottom of the page = plus d'infos > beaux objets ....) maybe i can tell you the date when i found the time for going to the shop .

Last edited:
I believe I might the Swedish member. Heljestrand and Magnus Kindal had a Hoffritz like arrangement in the early 1920's. It resulted in the Heljestrand Kindal product series designed by Kindal and produced by the Heljestrand. In 1925 Kindal bought the Heljestrand company and transformed it into a major success. The Heljestrand company stayed in the Kindal family until 1980 when Heljestrand went out of business.

You are. Thanks for the additional information. Seen the below thread yet? Appreciated if you would look it over and make any corrections or additions you are aware of. Hope I have not messed things up too bad.

CV Heljestrand Wedge Blade Safety Razor Variations

it's said that kindal bought CVH in 1907 and items were sold in france at 33 avenue de l'opéra :
C.V. Heljestrand
and one line under : beaux objets (beautyfull items) : the lather catcher and the simplex both created by magnus kindal ,so before he's death (1912) :
beaux objets, élégants outils

there is other simplex variations , silver in cvh box .

Last edited:
Mon 18th Sept
Said I would buy no more 1912s- wrong could not resist this one.

ER 1912 Bathroom Set in original box. Note this is Circa 1951, as box has Festival of Britain Logo
on it.
IMG_1597.jpg

Recently picked up the same set, "Star" box and all at a 2nd hand shop in Vian, OK. Does anyone know the thread size? It's not 10x32 or 8x32.
Bill

Sorry to be a few years late. Thread size is a no longer standard #8 x 24. Taps and dies available from Victor Machinery Exchange. A DIY project to adapt a handle to fit or make one. You are not going to find that thread size at a hardware store.

Last edited:
Arrived today from Sweden. A large cased CV Heljestrand wedge blade lather catcher. Case good with some scuffs. A medium blue/gray that needs some leather polish applied. The razor is the first chrome plated CV Heljestrand I have seen with some chrome peeling, in this case on the handle. The razor head is fine. The blades look almost new, no rust at all. Being from Sweden, where made, I expected the DOW names on the blades to be in Swedish. Instead they are all in English. I have seen CVH blades marked with the DOW in English, French and Spanish so far as well as unmarked. No idea of what other languages they were marked in.

The case is unusual in that it is apparently a early one or dates from WW2 possibly as the blade set holder is a slotted wood block where others use a molded plastic holder. Also one of the few large cases with both a spot for the auto stropper and strop as well as a blade holder for honing and manual stropping. Other same size cases do not have the slot for the blade holder, which is not included.

CVH-SW-8.jpg
CVH-SW-1.jpg
CVH-SW-2.jpg

Last edited:
An Interesting Sears Item:

A Wilbert Cutlery Stoll Chrome Steel razor. This is a specially stamped version of a Star Cru Steel razor from circa 1914 or so. The Wilbert Cutlery Company was a wholesaler who specialized in being a supplier to Sears Roebuck and Montgomery Ward, the latter for only a brief time apparently.

Other than the stamps on the razor body it is identical to the Star SCS Cru Steel razor sold by Kampfe under their own name and includes the SCS cutout in the blade bed. There was also a version made without the SCS cutout but with stamps for HERO blades on the razor body. All versions were made by Kampfe so far as is known. Depending on whether a Kampfe marked or Wilbert marked razor the SCS could stand for "Stoll Chrome Steel" or "Star Cru Steel" blades.

This was Kampfe's first Gem type blade only compatible lather catcher razor and had one of the simplest blade holding systems ever used in a Gem blade razor. So far I have the Star Cru Steel version and now the Stoll Chrome Steel marked version is on the way. Keeping an eye out for a cased Hero version too. This razor works fine with a modern Gem blade. The blade stops are quite substantial and rugged.

Stoll-2.jpg
Stoll-1.jpg

receive today what i think is a schick type C 1 name the simplified ,patent No 1452935 ,serial I 176,it's in nice shape but miss the 2 screws and the magazine ,anywhere it shaves how it should .any info appreciated ( the schick page:safetyrazors.net, is off) .

schick C1.JPG

schick C1 patent.JPG

Top Bottom