What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

six years ago when the dollar was low i've buy a lot in america with stupid high prices but it was almost 2$ for 1€ , theses days i buy mostly in europe ,we have the french graiglist it's name "leboncoin.fr"there is no bid you deal with the people it's where i've buy my 1914 ,the guy said it was he's grandfather razor ,this make sense you know by the times of the WW,american soldiers came with a lot of things (chewing gum,razors,jazz records,blue jeans ....)and gift or trade with the people and theses things became part of our culture .sometimes i buy on the french ebay where you get your cased heljestrand ,kikounette is a nice seller ain't it? she sells me my kindal seven days set and i passed on the cvh set and the nice aristocrat (not interested).there's a lot of flea market here wich we call "vide grenier" but if you want something you better have to go early in the morning and i'm at work,i can't,my mother get me my best straight there a famex for 5$ it was shave ready!!!! he's put my zwillings and other famous razors to shame .
* i think i can manage to go to the kindal shop next week .

I've only been collecting for just over a year now, and never found any 1914 razors in the wild, until now. Well, my daughter found them and picked them up for me (yes, I paid her back!).
IMG_20170930_111218.jpg

Schick E2, Mahoganite set, and Ever-Ready 1914, '53 Plastic handle Tech, and a Segal DE.
IMG_20170930_111326.jpg IMG_20170930_111400.jpg
The Schick came in this nice plastic or Bakelite box, that had been inscribed to Harry W. Estelle. I tried looking him up, and it looks like he and his wife, Mildred, are buried in Hazel Wood Cemetery, in Clark, NJ. So far, I haven't had the time to really dig and find out anything else about him, yet.
Inside the box lid is stamped "Made by Magazine Repeating Razor Co. New York Made in U.S.A."

IMG_20170930_111450.jpg

I was super excited when I realized this was one of the razors she was bringing me, and I was not dissappointed when it was actually in my hands. This razor is virtually flawless, and the box is in super terrific condition. I'll use the other 1914 for shaving, and keep this one in its case, only for emergencies!

Thanks, fellas! That's one of the cool things about this hobby - I'll have dry spells every now and then, but the universe seems to auto-correct things, and then I'll have a nice couple of weeks that make up for the drought!

Another CV Heljestrand razor. This one is a silver plated new model without Kindal head stamp and in the smallest case Heljestrand apparently made which seems to be a uncommon case version. No blade slots in the case which is minimal size to just hold the razor with the two piece handle disassembled and one blade mounted in the razor head. Also a slot for the stropping blade holder.

CVH-SC1-6.jpg
CVH-SC1-1.jpg
CVH-SC1-3.jpg

Here is my latest Find, a Eagle Premier travel set lather catcher. The case is in good shape. Inside it also has a Eagle branded turnaround brush and Williams soap stick holder. Not bad for being 100 years old.

View attachment 815451 View attachment 815452 View attachment 815453 View attachment 815454 View attachment 815455

I have a couple of Eagle razors a Deluxe and a Improved per case stamps and both contain identical razors, marked Eagle Improved. Only difference is the cases and case markings. The Improved marked case includes the brush and soap holder tubes as well as the original paperwork. Also a BIN cased Eagle DeLuxe on ebay currently with the same Eagle Improved marking on the razor head.

Last edited:
An Interesting Sears Item:

A Wilbert Cutlery Stoll Chrome Steel razor. This is a specially stamped version of a Star Cru Steel razor from circa 1914 or so. The Wilbert Cutlery Company was a wholesaler who specialized in being a supplier to Sears Roebuck and Montgomery Ward, the latter for only a brief time apparently.

Other than the stamps on the razor body it is identical to the Star SCS Cru Steel razor sold by Kampfe under their own name and includes the SCS cutout in the blade bed. There was also a version made without the SCS cutout but with stamps for HERO blades on the razor body. All versions were made by Kampfe so far as is known. Depending on whether a Kampfe marked or Wilbert marked razor the SCS could stand for "Stoll Chrome Steel" or "Star Cru Steel" blades.

This was Kampfe's first Gem type blade only compatible lather catcher razor and had one of the simplest blade holding systems ever used in a Gem blade razor. So far I have the Star Cru Steel version and now the Stoll Chrome Steel marked version is on the way. Keeping an eye out for a cased Hero version too. This razor works fine with a modern Gem blade. The blade stops are quite substantial and rugged.

View attachment 824493 View attachment 824494

Note that on the blade tray with this Stoll Chrome Steel marked razor and case is a Star Cru Steel stamp! I have an identical cased Star Cru Steel case and razor, except for the stamps, which does not include a blade tray at all even though it is also a 12 blades included stamped case version. To me this just indicates that these came out of the same factory and someone apparently got careless.

A very clean looking Ever-Ready shovel head in a travel case. Nickel finish on the case and a gold finish on the razor it looks like. Case interior is in beautiful shape. I may have over paid a bit but too pretty to resist and in what appears to be very nice condition.

Ever-Ready-1.jpg
Ever-Ready-2.jpg
Ever-Ready-3.jpg
Ever-Ready-6.jpg

Congratulations! Looks like a nice silver plated razor with strop in good condition, auto stropper, honing blade holder and seven blades. A very complete set. Hope that the blades are in good condition. The case looks good too.

I recently picked up my first PAL Injecto-Matic SE razor at an antique store. I am surprised it took me so long to add one of these to my collection. It was in pitiful condition....very crusty and tarnished. Actually, I like it when they are in rough shape...keeps the price lower. It did, however, clean up nicely.
PAL Razor.jpg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Picked up my first Schick Injector today at an antique store. Not sure what model it is. Looks to be in decent shape. Paid $5 I think I got a good deal. Also got the Old Spice mug for $5

View attachment 827227 View attachment 827228 Picked up my first Schick Injector today at an antique store. Not sure what model it is. Looks to be in decent shape. Paid $5 I think I got a good deal. Also got the Old Spice mug for $5
Congrats on the Schick!!! Looks like a "G" series. The safetyrazors.net site is down so I don't remember which G type it is.
Once I bought my first Schick, it just opened another RAD door for me to walk through - good luck!!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Got this the other day. Supply Provisions SE V2. I have the first one, and it shaves pretty well. Looking forward to trying this one asap. Maybe today. I just dig the polished jet black on the stainless. Nice feeling razor. Liked the other one enough to buy the new version. But just didnt like a few things on the first one that seem to have been corrected. Like blade loading, fit and finish, ergonomics. Should shave well. My photo doesnt do it justice. This thing really shines.

2017-10-07 15.02.56.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You guys find some amazing razors.

I would love to know where you find them. Ebay? Yard sales? Antique stores? What's the back story? Do you plan to shave with the razor?

Not saying it isn't a treat just to see the photographs.

Beautiful pictures, too. Some talented "razor photographers" around these parts.

Happy shaves,

Jim

You guys find some amazing razors.

I would love to know where you find them. Ebay? Yard sales? Antique stores? What's the back story? Do you plan to shave with the razor?

Not saying it isn't a treat just to see the photographs.

Beautiful pictures, too. Some talented "razor photographers" around these parts.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Mine are all Ebay finds, some from Ebay worldwide searches. Ebay now has stores in many European countries and unless you do a worldwide search then items listed in them will not show up in your normal Ebay search. I have CV Heljestrand razors from Spain, England, France and Argentina and several were from listings that did not show up via the normal ebay search.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mine are all Ebay finds, some from Ebay worldwide searches. Ebay now has stores in many European countries and unless you do a worldwide search then items listed in them will not show up in your normal Ebay search.

Learn something every day. I knew ebay was international, but did not know how to search internationally.

Thanks,

Jim

Top Bottom