What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

IMG_5341.JPG
IMG_5342.JPG
Got to go to a couple antique stores Saturday. Had a good day! They were all filthy except the Krona. I'm in the cleaning process now.

That's a nice looking Tech! Unless it's a transitional piece, like you said, it looks like someone put a new handle (mid-60s +) on an older head (mid-50s). It looks like, on mr-razor.com, that the zamak cap was in use with this handle.

Just today I've found another example of this "heavy Tech" model at the bay. Is there some plot thickening?

s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg

Arrived yesterday and today, two 1966 (L3 & L4) Gillette Slims both in great condition with little plate loss, especially the upper one and incredible considering they are as old as me. I paid US$25 (just over £18) each, which I think is a good price based on what I've seen them go for in the UK ?

DSC01002.JPG

Found a Gillette Slim Adjustable M1 at my wife's grandfather's house. It looked in bad shape but still I felt like I found some buried treasure.
Took it home, did some cleaning, rinsing, lubricating etc and here it is...a functional and pretty 50 year old :)
Thank your forums and youtube for tips on have to clean a vintage razor.
I am so happy right now.
proxy.php

View attachment 827716 View attachment 827717 Got to go to a couple antique stores Saturday. Had a good day! They were all filthy except the Krona. I'm in the cleaning process now.

Arrived yesterday and today, two 1966 (L3 & L4) Gillette Slims both in great condition with little plate loss, especially the upper one and incredible considering they are as old as me. I paid US$25 (just over £18) each, which I think is a good price based on what I've seen them go for in the UK ?

View attachment 827800
Nice adjustables, everyone!

View attachment 827800
That question mark at the end of your sentence could garner you a trip to the headmasters office.....or so I am told.:a2:

F-2 1960. The old I-phone may have not done it justice on photos but in great shape for a vintage razor. After taking her for a spin in the morning I will get some dawn,hot water and a toothbrush after it and see what happens. Anything especially good to polish nickel? I am contemplating having it replated in rhodium but I don't know now, might keep it as is.

That question mark at the end of your sentence could garner you a trip to the headmasters office.....or so I am told.:a2:

Wouldn't be the first time!

I also recently acquired a 1960 (F1) Fatboy, I've only used it the once and in my very limited experience it was great. It has a bit of plate loss mainly on the handle and I was thinking of sending off to Razor Emporium for a revamp. I'd very much like to hear if anyone has experience of the RE revamp service?

IMG_20171011_114049460.jpg

Wouldn't be the first time!

I also recently acquired a 1960 (F1) Fatboy, I've only used it the once and in my very limited experience it was great. It has a bit of plate loss mainly on the handle and I was thinking of sending off to Razor Emporium for a revamp. I'd very much like to hear if anyone has experience of the RE revamp service?

View attachment 828100
I have heard mixed reviews regarding RE, however, I can tell you Chris at razorplate produces consistently excellent results and is a joy to work with.

I have heard mixed reviews regarding RE, however, I can tell you Chris at razorplate produces consistently excellent results and is a joy to work with.

Thanks for that, I have a Slim that I also want restoring, so I may send one to each, it might be interesting to compare results.

Nice looking FB, @Mad Mercian! To some, a little plate loss on the handle is just character and history. Yours doesn't really look that bad. But, it's your razor, and if you want it looking like it just rolled off Gillette's assembly line, by all means, Razorplate is the way to go.

Nice looking FB, @Mad Mercian! To some, a little plate loss on the handle is just character and history. Yours doesn't really look that bad. But, it's your razor, and if you want it looking like it just rolled off Gillette's assembly line, by all means, Razorplate is the way to go.

Thanks. The Fatboy is perfectly usable and the head is great, just some plate loss on the inside and handle. However I really like the FB and the Slim, nice little pieces of engineering, and being over 50 years old I think they deserve a bit of TLC... or maybe its just my OCD :001_smile

Thanks. The Fatboy is perfectly usable and the head is great, just some plate loss on the inside and handle. However I really like the FB and the Slim, nice little pieces of engineering, and being over 50 years old I think they deserve a bit of TLC... or maybe its just my OCD :001_smile
Nothing wrong with that! Don't forget to let us know how they turn out! ...with pics!!!

Top Bottom