What's new

Focus Dynamic SE Razor

I thought it was the Med Preps which were thicker.
So are you saying there are two versions of the Med Prep, one of which is 0.006" and the other is 0.004"??

I believe it was the Personna Labs (blue package) that was .006 thick. I don't know about the Med Preps.
[Update] I forgot I had a micrometer. I just measured a Personna Lab blade and it is .004 thick.

Last edited:
Which is exactly what the Kai website says they are. This "I can tell Kai blades are thicker" is nonsense.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
There's definitely something different about those Kais though in the way they feel and flex... could they be a different composition of steel perhaps??

Also, which Personna blades were 0.006" but are now 0.004" or was it the vintage Personna?
I find it hard to believe that there are two different thicknesses of Lab Blues, Med Preps etc
And what about the Bic Chromes?

This thread gets deeper and deeper...

There's definitely something different about those Kais though in the way they feel and flex... could they be a different composition of steel perhaps??

Also, which Personna blades were 0.006" but are now 0.004" or was it the vintage Personna?
I find it hard to believe that there are two different thicknesses of Lab Blues, Med Preps etc
And what about the Bic Chromes?

This thread gets deeper and deeper...
BIC Chrome measure same as Kai. I know one poster measured an undated Personna as thicker but without more information I wouldn't put much stock in that. None of the current spec Personna have excessive thickness specs.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kai blades are in fact wider, from blade edge to blade edge and offer more blade exposure than other blades.

I don't think they use any different grade of stainless over other mfg's but they may use a different heat treating process though. The Kai's I had tried just a few months ago were much more rigid than any blade I'd ever used before!!

So second shave with the mysterious Kai blade tonight:
IMG_8955.JPG

The Focus Dynamic easily took care of 48hrs growth which confirms to me what an efficient razor this is.
I used a nice slick Arko lather but, as before, the wider Kai messes with the head geometry and the head had a tendency to bite in and snap back.

A great shave though. I'm so pkeased with the way that this razor leaves my skin calm even on the troublespots on my neck.
And the stubble from a Focus Dynamic shave is smart and prickly as it grows back which gives a great 21st Century look.

Bic Chrome in the Dynamic last night:
IMG_8959.JPG

This blade works very well in the Dynamic.
And using this standard width blade for which the razor was designed, it's clear to see just how much the extra width of a Kai blade messes up the performance.
The Kai shave was skippy and bitey whereas the Bic Chrome shave had the same weird dry smooth feel that the Focus Slim has due to the shape of the head and the skin stretching action of the ridge on the cap.

Not sure what's happened here but I am completely and utterly obsessed with this razor!

Hmmm, I guess it's time to fish out a BiC blade. Probably won't beat a Kai for me in the Focus Dynamic, but could still be yummy. :)

Hmmm, I guess it's time to fish out a BiC blade. Probably won't beat a Kai for me in the Focus Dynamic, but could still be yummy. :)
So do you find the Kai blade changes the way the Dynamic head behaves compared to standard width blades?

And I'm VERY interested to hear what peoples blade choices are for this razor.

I received mine today. It was a little fiddly to load a blade. I happen to have Derby Barber Blades handy that I had for a Shavette a few years ago. I used a towel to avoid cutting my fingers. It took a few tries to get the blade loaded evenly. I am currently bearded, but shaved my lower neck with two passes. I didn't use any pressure, so I don't believe that I engaged the pivot. I thought that the razor was quite mild. I'll have to do a goatee or just a moustache this weekend to give it a complete evaluation. I was impressed with the quality control, but think it would be easy to cut oneself while changing blades. Overalll, I am happy with it so far.

I changed the first blade after about six neck only shaves. Then I did a goatee, and the razor is a winner for me with Derby Blades. I am too lazy to try other brands, as these are already halved. I find the razor to be a nice combo of mild and efficient. The true test will be when I am clean shaven.

I understand the Focus Dynamic is made of anodised Aluminium, which is a coating of aluminium oxide.

I came across a post a while ago, where the OP used a rough finish shaving bowl, likely aluminium. He was almost completely unable to get a lather in the bowl, even with 5-6 times the soap he normally uses, but a change of bowl to plastic set things right instantly.
Now I was intrigued, & I had to find out why.
A little research showed me that bare aluminium is naturally coated with aluminium oxide, which is capable of reacting with the sodium/potassium hydroxides in shaving soap/cream.
The only purpose designed aluminium shaving bowl I've been able to find after some hours of googling is the Cade shaving bowl from L'Occitane, & it is advertised as 'non oxidizing'. Presumably it is lacquered, painted or otherwise coated.

My question(s):
1) Has anyone used a bare aluminium shaving bowl (without any kind of lacquer or coating) or an anodized aluminium bowl?
What has been your experience? I don't have an aluminium bowl at home, or I'd try it myself.

2) What does this mean for aluminium razors? Does aluminium degrade lather on contact or does it take some time? What happens when the coating wears off?

Last edited:
I borrowed this razor from a friend and shaved with it yesterday. Quite a rough shave and I did get some razorburn and little weepers. Im not sure I was using it correctly and the shave ended up being all over the place! I'm always up for trying new shave gear. I only managed two passes then finished off the shave with a 34C.

Just a question...I had the de blade snapped in half and had the bent bits facing down towards the bottom plate - the plate that's connected to the handle - should I have had the bent bits facing up the way, towards the top cap? Jarod from superior shave seen the video and said my angles were all wrong and that I should be pressing down with the razor. I found that difficult as the no pressure rule is in my brain from using de's! I'm going to give it another go and mess about with the angle to see if it's any comfier. I like the quirky, modern look of this razor.

Just placed an order for one of these. I'm a big fan of the half DE blade Rocnel (the model name always escapes me), and I know this is a very different beast, but I'm interested in seeing how it works.... (I went for the silver model!)

I borrowed this razor from a friend and shaved with it yesterday. Quite a rough shave and I did get some razorburn and little weepers. Im not sure I was using it correctly and the shave ended up being all over the place! I'm always up for trying new shave gear. I only managed two passes then finished off the shave with a 34C.

Just a question...I had the de blade snapped in half and had the bent bits facing down towards the bottom plate - the plate that's connected to the handle - should I have had the bent bits facing up the way, towards the top cap? Jarod from superior shave seen the video and said my angles were all wrong and that I should be pressing down with the razor. I found that difficult as the no pressure rule is in my brain from using de's! I'm going to give it another go and mess about with the angle to see if it's any comfier. I like the quirky, modern look of this razor.
This razor definitely requires technique but a unique technique so practice practice practice! I find it works best for me with no pressure but a steeper initial angle - YMMV.
And the broken tabs face towards the top plate so that the actual snapped ends make contact with the top cap and they present a convex shape to the baseplate.

Mine just arrived today. It’s a nice looking razor, but wow, it’s light!
First shave will be in the morning, I have half a Nacet ready and waiting....

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
This weekend I will be taking a break from my open combs so the Focus Dynamic and Schick Injector clone and hopefully my ATT G1 will get some face time.

After struggling to load the blade last night - it kept moving out of position when I tried to lock it in place - I finally got it to stay.

First shave was ok. Using pressure is such an alien concept now, but a WTG and ATG shave gave me a very close shave. I definitely need to learn the intricacies of this razor, though. This first shave wasn’t as smooth as my first shave with the half DE Rocnel razor...

After struggling to load the blade last night - it kept moving out of position when I tried to lock it in place - I finally got it to stay.

First shave was ok. Using pressure is such an alien concept now, but a WTG and ATG shave gave me a very close shave. I definitely need to learn the intricacies of this razor, though. This first shave wasn’t as smooth as my first shave with the half DE Rocnel razor...

Those are both excellent razors. I tend to break a blade and then mount one in each of those razors for two shaves each. Very different experience, but same extremely smooth results. I've heard some guys say there Focus Dynamic is a little loose such that the blade moves if they're not careful. My experience with mine has been the opposite - it's a booger to get in there because it's so tight, but once it's mounted, I could drop it from a third story window and the blade wouldn't move.

Top Bottom