What's new

Stone Cottage Cream Sample Pass-Around......US Tour.

So today I tried the Coconut Sandlewood. Thankfully, I didn't get the horrible red face again, so that is a plus.

The scent on this was just great. It lasted through the entire shave, and every time I lathered for a new pass, the scent exploded from the brush again. I think the one thing that we can all agree on is that these all have very strong scents.

The cushion was pretty good through the shave, but the slickness was not quite there IMO. The post shave feel was pretty good. My face felt soft and smooth, even before I put on an AS.

All in all, the cream performed well, and had a great scent. I don't know if I would buy a full tub, mainly because I caught my razor jumping a few times on my neck from a lack of slickness.

Tomorrow will either be the Vetiver and Vanilla or the Lavender. Have a great day Gents!

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

Today was the Vetiver and Vanilla. After the last two, this scent was a bit disappointing. I liked the scent (reminded me of smores around a campfire) but didn't have the strength of the others. It exploded from the bowl, but didn't transfer to the shave very well.

As with the others, there wasn't a ton of cushion, but there was some slickness. The thing that is redeeming about these seems to be the post shave feel. Having used them for 3 days straight, I can say that my face feels like I have been using a balm or lotion post shave, which I haven't. I have been pleasantly surprised by it.

Tomorrow is the Lavender. I might try one or two more after, and then it is off to the next guy.

Happy Shaving
-Chris

So I am starting to notice that the creams all have very similar properties. The cushion has been lacking on all, but have great post shave feel.

Today was the Lavender. It smelled really great, and my two year old proclaimed that it smelled like candy. I thought it smelled a bit more like flowers, but was nice. It had a very strong, authentic scent, which was nice. It was not quite the kind of scent I typically go for, but it was enjoyable.

Tomorrow will be wife's choice. I have narrowed it down a bit, bit we will see. Until tomorrow...

Happy Shaving
-Chris

Any updates here?

Yea, so this is completely my fault. I had to go out of town for a wedding, and asked my wife to ship the box out. She met me at the wedding on Wednesday, and I asked her about it. She missed that with trying to get the kids taken care of.

All that to say that I'll send it out tomorrow on my lunch break. Sorry all for the delay.

Happy Shaving
-Chris

Sorry for the silence. The package should be arriving tomorrow. Thanks again for the chance to try out some great creams.
proxy.php

Happy Shaving
-Chris

The samples arrived today so I got to it, first up was sandalwood. I didn't find this one to have much scent compared to some of the others, though I was happy with the cushion and slickness. I had a smooth 2 pass shave with the 1914 and a fresh ptfe gem blade, finished off with a little menthol splash to fight the heat.:001_005: Here's a lather pic after 2 full passes.
20170720_180148.jpg
20170720_175436.jpg

20170722_221149.jpg
I used the cedar noir on Sunday , this is by far my favorite of all the scents. If I needed more product I would buy a tub of this scent! Tonight will be either Frankincense fog or spiced myrh.
Our old boy Smitty stuck his nose in to sniff my brush as I took this pic.:001_302:

View attachment 807296 I used the cedar noir on Sunday , this is by far my favorite of all the scents. If I needed more product I would buy a tub of this scent! Tonight will be either Frankincense fog or spiced myrh.
Our old boy Smitty stuck his nose in to sniff my brush as I took this pic.:001_302:
Besides Smitty being curious and perhaps fond of the scent, how did the rest of the scents and shaves go? Is Cedre Noir your top choice?

Update:

Stone Cottage Creams pass-around tour
-pbrmhl (completed)
-chaturvedi11 (completed)
-shavefan (completed)
-BigSpivito(completed)
-polishaver (in hand-testing)
-bobmsp (on-deck)
-bladerunner (in the hole)
-tehnothing
Keep your posts coming Gents, good not so good makes no difference. Hopefully the shaves and scents are good and you enjoy them. I still believe there is plenty of samples left, so if anyone wants to join in on this list, just state your interest here in this thread or pm me if you like.

Regards, Gus

Thanks again, Gus! I did use the Frankincense fog since my last post, again great slickness. The cedar noir scent is definitely the standout IMO. I already have Bob's info so the box will be on it's way Monday. There is still plenty left in most of the samples so anyone who wants to try a great cream in a ton of their scents should pile on!

Box arrived today. Things are a little warm here, so everything seems very soft. It's interesting to see how the different soaps react to the heat. Some remain creamy, others not as much. I'm sure they'll all shave well though. Will let them cool down tonight and then give one a go tomorrow.

So I've managed 4 shaves so far with the Stone Cottage. It's amazing to see the variety of colors, textures, and thickness of each of the soaps. I'd mistakenly assumed that these were all going to be similar variations on the same base. It seems that each one - or at least each of these samples - is different from the other.

1st Shave - Lavender: Started out with the Lavender because I love lavender soaps. This was a very light cream and I think that I did not take enough of the cream to get the most out of this one. Shave was fine, but the lather that I worked up was a little thin. Loved the scent.

2nd Shave - Cèdre Noir: This one was denser than the Lavender and had a darker, color with a bit of a shimmer mixed through it. Used a bit more of the soap this time, but still did not get a thick enough lather. My shave was better than the first though. As far as the scent goes, I didn't get much in the way of cedar - either in the initial sniff or from the lather as I was working it. Much more accent on the musk and cinnamon/clove.

3rd Shave - Almond Flower: Finally took a big dollop of this and was rewarded with a nice lather. The cream is between the first two in density and also has a lighter, off-white look to it. Great scent with a caveat. I don't know if it was psychosomatic or real, but I felt a little bit of warmth (as in slight irritation) as I used it. If it was real, it didn't last.

4th Shave - Hespéride: Another dollop, but smaller than the Almond. Still a pretty good shave, and the scent is a wonderful cologne scent. The cream itself was on the lighter side, both in consistency and in color.

Update:

Stone Cottage Creams pass-around tour
-pbrmhl(completed)
-chaturvedi11(completed)
-shavefan(completed)
-BigSpivito(completed)
-polishaver(completed)
-bobmsp(in hand-testing)
-bladerunner(on-deck)
-tehnothing(in the hole)
- @Grundi

Enjoy the shaves Gents!!