What's new

Stone Cottage Cream Sample Pass-Around......US Tour.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Had my 1st shave with SC this morning, here are my initial thoughts...

First, I opened all the sample containers last night to take a whiff of each one. Interesting. My initial thought was that most of them have the same "vibe" scent wise. I get an underlying soapy scent on all, followed by their respective scent profiles. Most, IMO, are in the spicy earthy category. Many took me back to my childhood, but I wasn't exactly sure why. Then later last night it hit me...When i was around 7-8yo back in the early 70's, once a year my parents would take us kids to a village out on the country in upstate New York for a day trip. This place had a lot of artists and artisans, pottery, glass blowers, sculptures, painters, etc. My dad referred to it as "hippie hollow". Anyway, in a lot of the shops they sold incense and I would walk around smelling all the different kinds of incense and that's what a lot of these SC scents remind me of.

Anyway, I picked 5 that I will try this week, the first one this morning was "Musk". Best I can describe the scent is a sweet cologne profile with a bit of earthiness. Very pleasant. Scent strength is fairly strong, about a 7.5/10 to my nose.

The cream is firm, croap like. I scooped out a fingernail size of Musk into my later bowl and proceeded to load my Simpson Duke 2. Lather is very easy to build and it can take a fair amount of water without getting airy. I face lathered and ended up with a very nice creamy lather, not "Santa Clause foam" but really nice rich & creamy. I did a 3 pass with no issues and had plenty of lather left over. A little bit of SC goes a long way, nice. Lathering also opened up the scent a bit and again, I found it very pleasant. I could still get whiffs of the scent from my skin up to about an hour later.

Post shave feel is very nice and soft with just a bit of tightness creeping in after about 30min, but that's not unusual for me. I used no post shave products, just a warm water rinse.

All in all, I found my 1st shave with SC very pleasant. No issues to report, just a solid shave.

Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 10.57.16 AM.png

Last edited:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
2nd shave with SC this morning. Today I chose "Lavender". I'm happy to report that this is a true lavender scent, very nice and if you're familiar with Castle Forbes Lavender, it smells exactly the same to my nose. Just a clean, unadulterated true lavender scent. Great job!

The shave was pretty much the same as yesterday. Very easy to lather and not finicky at all. I did find the Lavender a bit softer in consistency than the Musk and it needed a bit more loading to get a 3 pass, but still, relatively little product is needed for a generous lather.

Again, no issues with todays shave. Nice & comfy. Post shave is just a bit tight, but normal for me. All in all, a nice solid shave with no issues.

On a side note, I could still smell the Musk from yesterday in my bathroom. Scents are strong for sure but without irritation, for me.

Very nice review! How did you enjoy the Lavender scent in comparison to Castle Forbes with regard to the longevity and strength of the scent?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Very nice review! How did you enjoy the Lavender scent in comparison to Castle Forbes with regard to the longevity and strength of the scent?

I give the edge to CS in both strength (while lathering) and post shave longevity, but not by a wide margin. CS is so concentrated

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Tried the Bay Lime this morning. Nice shave again, no issues to report, but post shave face feel was a bit better for me with this one.

The Bay Lime is a bit weaker in scent strength than some of the other samples but lathering opens it up a bit. IMO, this would be a great alternative to the typical "Bay Rum" scents.

Nice.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
So I'm wrapping up my time with this Passaround today and chose the Coconut Sandalwood for this morning's shave. As before, the shave went without a hitch and I really liked this scent. the Coconut Sandalwood is a bit weaker in scent strength than some of the other SC scents, but very pleasant and strong enough for me. Post shave face feel with the Coconut Sandalwood was the best so far for me; nice, soft and moisturized.

All in all, I liked the SC creams I tried out. Very easy to lather but not the most efficient cream I've ever used (I had to reload my Duke 2 a couple times after the first pass) and they offered good protection and glide. I didn't find anything really game changing about them, but SC offers a good solid product that is difficult to criticize. Also, I like that SC offers 2 sizes of their creams in addition to a sample pack. I would definitely recommend trying SC creams to anyone that wants to explore some really unique scents and an overall nice shave cream.

Thanks for letting me sample them.

Last edited:
Very nice Shavefan! Looking forward to giving them a shot!

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

shavefan

I’m not a fan
...Today morning i tried the Almond flower because it smelled good ,had some irritation on neck while lathering but i moved on and by the time i was done with first pass my face was red like a tomato. Something didnt agree with my face and that too in a very bad way. I have never had such a reaction before to any cream or soap, normally i get some irritation on my face and i never use the soap/cream again but this one went few steps ahead.

Fair to say i cannot buy or try Almond flower again. Following are the ingredients and i am not sure which one didnt work for me

Ingredients: Water, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, fragrance, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Triethanolamine, Tetrasodium EDTA

Any suggestions?

@chaturvedi11 , When sampling the scents of the various SC creams "Almond Flower" was by far the strongest to my nose. One could open up that tiny jar and leave it somewhere and find their room filled with that scent most likely for weeks. If one likes almond scented shave products, this one should be right up their alley!

Anyway, you obviously had a negative reaction, and my guess is (and only a guess) that the fragrance oils were simply to abundant/strong for your skin type.

My best shaves were with the more "muted" scents, Bay Lime and Coconut Sandalwood. I did not however have time to try the Almond Flower.

@chaturvedi11 , When sampling the scents of the various SC creams "Almond Flower" was by far the strongest to my nose. One could open up that tiny jar and leave it somewhere and find their room filled with that scent most likely for weeks. If one likes almond scented shave products, this one should be right up their alley!

Anyway, you obviously had a negative reaction, and my guess is (and only a guess) that the fragrance oils were simply to abundant/strong for your skin type.

My best shaves were with the more "muted" scents, Bay Lime and Coconut Sandalwood. I did not however have time to try the Almond Flower.

Yep agree that it had a strong smell and yes I have had negative reaction to fragrance oils like Rhino and nearly all B&M soaps. So that might be it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Morning all! I got the box in yesterday, and had the wife do the sniff test to determine which ones were best to be accepted in the house.

Well, the first choice was the Almond Flower. I am typically a 3 pass shaver (WTG, ATG, XTG). Well, just like @chaturvedi11 I had some pretty extreme irritation. I pushed through the first pass, thinking that it was an issue with not having enough cream and being new to the stuff. Below are pictures of my neck and face to show the redness.

Other than the irritation, the scent was amazing. I truly enjoyed the scent, but the tingle/burn from the soap kinda made it hard to focus on. The performance of the cream was pretty good, after the adjustment of adding more to the bowl. I was being conservative at first, but once I added a normal amount to the bowl it was pretty good. Good slickness and cushion, but tomorrow will have to be a better test (hopefully without the irritation!)

proxy.php
proxy.php

Happy Shaving
-Chris

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Ouch! That doesn't look like a very pleasant experience. FWIW, out of the 4/5 SC samples I tried, I found Coconut Sandalwood the best in it's soothing properties...

Good Morning all! I got the box in yesterday, and had the wife do the sniff test to determine which ones were best to be accepted in the house.

Well, the first choice was the Almond Flower. I am typically a 3 pass shaver (WTG, ATG, XTG). Well, just like @chaturvedi11 I had some pretty extreme irritation. I pushed through the first pass, thinking that it was an issue with not having enough cream and being new to the stuff. Below are pictures of my neck and face to show the redness.

Other than the irritation, the scent was amazing. I truly enjoyed the scent, but the tingle/burn from the soap kinda made it hard to focus on. The performance of the cream was pretty good, after the adjustment of adding more to the bowl. I was being conservative at first, but once I added a normal amount to the bowl it was pretty good. Good slickness and cushion, but tomorrow will have to be a better test (hopefully without the irritation!)

proxy.php
proxy.php

Happy Shaving
-Chris

Yep my face was very similar to that. As I mentioned before you and I might always have issues with soap with Fragrance Oil. I had similar issue with Rhino soap and basically all B&M limited edition soaps.

I feel so sad as all these soaps and creams are so great quality wise but I cannot use them.

Side note - if you have pure aloe gel, use it on your face on such instances, helps healing quickly and calms down the skin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom