What's new

Searching for the perfect razor. Has anyone actually found theirs?

I have not. I prefer open combs for how they glide on my face, but I like the aggressiveness level of the 34C. I have not found an open comb that is as friendly as that yet. Anybody got a recommendation?

Any razor can have a different personality with a shim or by changing the blade brand. A 34C with a Feather is different from a 34c with an Astra. Of course, there is always the option of spending $$$ on ATT.

I do not know how many razors I own or how many razors I have tried. Just in my bathroom closet (with only the best razors I have found so far) I got 13-14 razors. Then I got more in my drawers and I have got rid of some razors.

For me it is a journey where "the best so far razor" is always challenged by any new razor acquired. I thus have had a few favorites during the years of DE shaving.

Currently if I would need to reduce to only one razor I would keep iKon X3.

iKon X3 is a really mild razor, but effective once you learn to keep the razor inside of its very tiny window of working angles. I do not call it a perfect razor, because I think a perfect razor should align the blade itself. The head is also a bit bulky, making it difficult to shave right under the nose. But even with these faults it is my favorite as the shave is above all other razors I have had so far.

At this point I have three favorite razors:
1. Slim
2. '58 Tech on fat handle
3. AS-D2

However, as others also have stated above I find that I really prefer to switch regularly to 'rediscover' other great and beautiful razors in my den. Or get a new vintage to try out for the first time :001_tt1:

So far I'd say it is the Schone. It is about the perfect combination of smoothness and aggressiveness. It is gentle enough to shave with everyday, efficient enough to handle all the growth you want to throw at it, and it gives a nice close shave.

For the past several months I've been alternating between the Merkur Progress and the Parker Variant.

Both of these are extremely efficient and comfortable. Once I knock out the first 3-5 shaves on a blade (my goto is the 7o'clock super stainless) I get weeks of flawless shaves.

Bakelite Shake Sharp (shimmed) is close enough to perfect I could live easily with it alone. The Rockwell-6 plate (shimmed) is more conventional and therefore somewhat lacking in personality but it's hard to find anything wrong with it, I don't see how anyone could. And then there's the Shovelhead...and the Schick I2..I'll stop there. All amazing razors with different appeal.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

My perfect razor is the one I can BBS my face and head with comfortably everyday. That's just about every razor I pick up, DE or SE, so I have a number of perfect razors.

Good prep and technique will make many razors perfect!

So far I'd say it is the Schone. It is about the perfect combination of smoothness and aggressiveness. It is gentle enough to shave with everyday, efficient enough to handle all the growth you want to throw at it, and it gives a nice close shave.
YMMV. Schome is Fatip with wider teeth. I find both mk1 and mk2 of Fatip OC to give a strange itchiness after shave. I get the same closeness with X3, but so much smoother.

YMMV. Schome is Fatip with wider teeth. I find both mk1 and mk2 of Fatip OC to give a strange itchiness after shave. I get the same closeness with X3, but so much smoother.

Probably the blade. I get itchy face with Derby and Shark in an aggressive razor. They're too dull.

What blade do you use with it?

I'm a sucker for the vintage Gillette adjustables and usually end up using my E-2 '59 Fat Boy more often than not.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I've never had that problem with either my Schone or my Fatip Piccolo. As similar as they are, I do find the Schone to be a bit smoother and gentler, and I prefer the Schone to the Piccolo (though I don't really want to part with either).

For me, I thought the Merkur 34c was the perfect shaver. However, after about 6 months use I wanted something just a little more aggressive.

I went with a Merkur Progress and was able to simulate a 34c with it set to 1, and got my more aggressive shave with it set to 2.

Since then, my Progress is my perfect shaver.

Giggles; I recall hearing someone at a fishing lodge say, "If you could only have six bamboo fly rods, what would they be?"

Now, a great thing about this hobby is razors, blades, brushes, and soaps cost less than bamboo fly rods!

I have a few, Any of my Gillette Adjustables, Weber PH with Classic handle, Parker Variant, Micromatic OC, Gem/ER 1912. But I lean toward the Weber PH for DE's or the 1912

Top Bottom