What's new

Searching for the perfect razor. Has anyone actually found theirs?

If you had asked me 2 months ago I would have said Rockwell 6S. If you asked me last month I would have said Gillette NEW LC. But today it is my new Timeless .68mm, OC, scalloped top with the Pineapple handle.
I bought into the glowing reviews and I expected to get a fine razor but nothing especially great or vastly superior to anything else I've tried. I was wrong.

If you had asked me 2 months ago I would have said Rockwell 6S. If you asked me last month I would have said Gillette NEW LC. But today it is my new Timeless .68mm, OC, scalloped top with the Pineapple handle.
I bought into the glowing reviews and I expected to get a fine razor but nothing especially great or vastly superior to anything else I've tried. I was wrong.

I have the .95 SB smooth cap with the Pineapple handle. It seems to be impossible not to get a fantastic shave out of this razor.

I went back and forth between the .95 and .68 for months and I finally saw a post on B&B where multiple people said the .68 and the Rockwell on plate 4 were pretty close and that finally sold me on it. I'd say they were about right but the Timeless is SO much smoother.
I have the .95 SB smooth cap with the Pineapple handle. It seems to be impossible not to get a fantastic shave out of this razor.
What is your favorite blade in the .95?

Yes, I've found my perfect razor, several times. Fatboy, Toggle, Bulldog, '48-'50 Aristocrat, Babasol FH, right now it's the '38 Senator that I found last week.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
1975 Bic Disposable.

$1.00 for a 5 pack. A can of Barbasol. You could shave for 3 months for about $2.50.

Yeah but who'd want too? lol. I remember my father using those and after trying one I think I'd rather shave with a knife, and I have done that before.

I went back and forth between the .95 and .68 for months and I finally saw a post on B&B where multiple people said the .68 and the Rockwell on plate 4 were pretty close and that finally sold me on it. I'd say they were about right but the Timeless is SO much smoother.

What is your favorite blade in the .95?

Feather. I used a Plat in it last night though and it was nice.

I feel like Im always finding THE razor, then I find myself wanting to try something new. Theres so many great razors out there, its hard to pick one.
I like my Merkur 33C, I like my DE 89 with a Weber handle Frankenrazor, I like my Gillette Black Beauty, I like my Gillette Tech (although its a bit on the mild side for my liking).
To be fair, Im kind of the same with brushes too.
Its a good thing wet shaving gear isnt like women or else Id be headed for divorce court.

I keep coming back to it. I owned the Timeless (sold it) and presently own a Wolfman SB, Charcoal Level 2 & Blackbird. The Variant I had was faulty.

Mergress. Merkur perfected the DE razor head in 1955 and Eric Maier (Mer) gives it a tuneup. I just ordered a Digress from Scotland.

My Mergress gives a better shave than the Wolfman. I don't need my razors made out of stainless or exotic materials or last a lifetime. I just want the best designed razor for shaving.

My all time fav the Toggle with my late Dad's shaving brush. Never put away, always ready in case my latest find irritates. Which they often do.

For me, there is no perfect razor, as most of the razors I have actually give great shaves. As stated by previous posters, sometimes it takes a week to get back to getting excellent shaves with a razor. Especially razors like the Pils, or even a mild Tech. Give each/any razor a chance and you'll get to know its quirks and you'll get great shaves.
However, I'll list the ones that I love using and so are my perfect razor(s) -
ATT, Red Tip, Pils, Mergress. I can't narrow it to one (probably the Red Tip).

I'm not going to lie my Merkur 34c beats my wolfmans, timeless and my vintage Gillettes (in performance). It's a razor that every time I take a hiatus from using it and each time I go back to it, it reminds me of how awesome it truly is for new or experienced shavers IMO.
And that's my problem. These high-end CNC'ed steel beauties and classic antiques you all have sound amazing, I'd love to try some. But the Merkur 34c just works perfectly and my skin looks better than it has since I was 12. I've had fun buying and trying various brushes, soaps and blades, but I'm frankly afraid of cutting up my face with a strange razor, which would be a pain in the @$$.

Thought you were a big fan of the Razorock Ti Baby Smooth. Missed the drop yesterday; and with the new Mamba I'm torn, which of course means I'll end up with both . . . eventually

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, that one is the one that's been the closest to absolute perfection for me.

Top Bottom