What's new

Searching for the perfect razor. Has anyone actually found theirs?

So far my razors include a Merkur 34c, 39c, A pre war tech, a post war tech, a slim adjustable, a flair tip super speed, a 40s style super speed, an old long comb and a new log comb. All seem to give me a really nice 3 pass shave and a BBS shave if I do a little blade buffing around my jaw area afterward. So far the pre war tech seems to be my favorite only because it seems easier for me to handle. My problem is I jump from one razor to the next. I need to spend a week using only one razor. What I really need is for my beard to grow faster so I can shave twice a day. lol

Yeah, sticking with one razor for a week or, even better, a month really helps. Each requires something a little different from the others and the best way to get good with a razor is to spend some time with it.

I once thought that if I bought razor X then, based on reviews, my quest would be over. Then I realized, that wouldn't be any fun!

Perfect for me has been my my Merkur 34C, which I gave away, my Fatboy (a gift from a generous member) and a Maggard V3 (purchased from Maggard). I also received a late 40s super speed from another generous member, but haven't had enough time with it, although it shaves well. If I had to keep just one, I would be very satisfied with the Fatboy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't think I'll ever have a "Favorite" razor. I really like my Rocket HD500, '46/'47 Aristocrat, Executive(D3) and Fatboy and all years of the Super Speeds.

Toggle has always been my favorite daily user for the past 7 years. Bought into the Ming Shi hype and ordered two just for fun, and to me it's on par with the Toggle in terms of shave quality at a mere fraction of the cost.

I'm not looking for "the one" I'm enjoying trying many. There are several that I could live with as my only (almost any Gillette plus a few Schicks and Ever Readys), but I have no plans of doing so.

My problem is I jump from one razor to the next. I need to spend a week using only one razor.

One week at least, whether it's shaving cream, brush or your razor, I think you have to use it few times before you get a real feel for it. However, for me often that first impression of certain product happens to be the correct one.

To answer your original question, I have a perfect razor, for me, for now.

I've been using it for a while now, and every time I'm tempted to try something different (new brand/model, or straight razor) I ask myself if there is any other reason to try it besides "just because I can afford it and want to try something different". And the answer is always "no, current razor meets all my needs". In last 2+ years I purchased one other razor, and it was OK, nothing really wrong with it, but just wasn't quite as good for me as my favorite one, so I gave it away. I hate collecting stuff I don't use regularly, so once I find something that suits me I tend to stick with it. I even stopped experimenting with different blades, settling on Feather which consistently performs the best for me. Creams and aftershaves are exception, those I'm having fun with, but comparing to many others on this forum, I'm "lightweight". ;)

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I have not. I prefer open combs for how they glide on my face, but I like the aggressiveness level of the 34C. I have not found an open comb that is as friendly as that yet. Anybody got a recommendation?

Remember: there is no old long comb!
Only the NEW comes in Long comb and Short comb variations.

EDIT: BBS is overrated.

Top Bottom