What's new

INFO! PRIZES!!!! March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month: Check Your 6

I got a clean pathology report for my polyp in the mail today. This will sound weird, but I always hope they find one when I go in. I fear that I would get complacent and not be as diligent If I came back clean as a whistle.

Two years ago yesterday I celebrated the start Colon Cancer Awareness Month by having a BM and passing gas. The requirements to be discharged after a right hemicolectomy. I had gone in for my happy 50th birthday colonoscopy in January not expecting any issues but found out otherwise. I had no symptoms other than some slight anemia and fatigue which I chalked up to turning 50 and rolling a car on a wet mountain road (not the same day) a few months earlier. Thankfully I was Stage 0 but if I had put it off any longer my prognosis could have been much different. My check last year was clear and I am due back in 2019 for my next scope. Get it done, if not for yourself, for the ones you love. Ignorance is not bliss.

Fantastic news!

I got a clean pathology report for my polyp in the mail today. This will sound weird, but I always hope they find one when I go in. I fear that I would get complacent and not be as diligent If I came back clean as a whistle.
Congrats Bob.....glad you got a clean bill of polyp!!:001_smile

Glad you had a clean report. The fine folks here on B&B will be here every year, same time, to remind you if you get complacent.

Glad you got a clean report, Bob!

I get a pass this year. Three years ago I got my first colonoscopy along with an upper endoscopy since I waited way too long. I was 57 at the time. I had a polyp in my colon that was no problem, but my endoscopy showed that I had Barrett's esophagus, which puts me at risk for an especially nasty form of esophageal cancer. Now, I need to get the upper done every two to three years with the colonoscopy on alternating tests. No tests this year, but both next year. Sometimes, even when you are checking one thing, you can find something else that can be a problem.

Don't put it off, gents!

I'm only 45 with no family history of colon cancer, so I'm a little young to get checked. But I'll support this with changing my avatar to a blue one, maybe I'll edit it when i get a chance to include some words.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I got deep sixed last week and they checked my prostate while they were at it! Pretty sure they checked my tonsils too!
No cancer history in my family.
My father checked his at 75. Not a single problem. Mother at 75. No issues either.
I am in my 50's and the doctor gave me a choice of giving a specimen or the whole enchilada so I chose to do it right.
No issues. Again in 10.

I'm only 45 with no family history of colon cancer, so I'm a little young to get checked. But I'll support this with changing my avatar to a blue one, maybe I'll edit it when i get a chance to include some words.

Thanks for the support, Joe!

I got deep sixed last week and they checked my prostate while they were at it! Pretty sure they checked my tonsils too!
No cancer history in my family.
My father checked his at 75. Not a single problem. Mother at 75. No issues either.
I am in my 50's and the doctor gave me a choice of giving a specimen or the whole enchilada so I chose to do it right.
No issues. Again in 10.

That's great news, Marty! I'm a see it with my own eyes, kind of guy. I know those other kinds of tests can work just fine, but there is no more definitive way to find something or give you a clean bill of health than the scope. Hopefully the prep is a little better when you go again in 10 years.

I'm only 45 with no family history of colon cancer, so I'm a little young to get checked.

Not really. I had my first when I was a little younger than you (because traces of blood were detected in my stool). The doc found and removed a single large (5 cm) polyp.

I'm 65 now. Because of my history, I'm told I should smile for the camera every 3-5 years. Polyps have been detected and removed during two of my last three procedures. Last year's scope was clear.

Sure, the prep sucks, but the procedure itself is no big deal, and a decent medical insurance policy often covers the cost in full. It's certainly preferable to a colostomy or worse.

While the rate of colon cancer is decreasing in those older than 50 due to early detection, there is an alarming rise in the rates of right sided colon cancer in those younger than 50.
So if someone is 50 they definitely need to have a screening colonoscopy but if someone is less than 50 and has symptoms(bleeding mainly), then they probably should have one too.

My sister will have her second round of chemo next week. She was diagnosed with ovarian cancer that has spread to her colon. Without going into great detail the BRCA gene runs strong in our family and it manifests itself as more than breast cancer in both males and females.

If you are a male with a family history of BRCA you need to talk to your doctor and schedule a prostate exam and a colonoscopy. After the diagnosis of my sister I am back on the three year plan and I am set for October.

We have hope for my sister and all prayers are appreciated.

While the rate of colon cancer is decreasing in those older than 50 due to early detection, there is an alarming rise in the rates of right sided colon cancer in those younger than 50.
So if someone is 50 they definitely need to have a screening colonoscopy but if someone is less than 50 and has symptoms(bleeding mainly), then they probably should have one too.

Mine was right side, right at the junction of the small and large intestine, and caught at age 50 so it started sooner than that.

My sister will have her second round of chemo next week. She was diagnosed with ovarian cancer that has spread to her colon. Without going into great detail the BRCA gene runs strong in our family and it manifests itself as more than breast cancer in both males and females.

If you are a male with a family history of BRCA you need to talk to your doctor and schedule a prostate exam and a colonoscopy. After the diagnosis of my sister I am back on the three year plan and I am set for October.

We have hope for my sister and all prayers are appreciated.

Prayers for your sister and her medical staff. Thanks for helping to spread the word about risk factors.

Beginning prep in less in an hour. I took today to get all my personal and business finances together as well as a list of instructions for my wife. I hope it's not the case but it really would be a good time to check out. Prayers are welcome.

Peace

Good Luck and you will be fine, tomorrow you will come back and say "THAT WAS EASY" Prayers your way. What Prep do they have you on?

Top Bottom