What's new

The Simpsons Fifty Series Appreciation Thread

Second re-surrection of this thread. I just got me a Duke 3 in best and I am in awe... Can anyone please comment if it´s worth to get one of these 50´s as well..? Contemplating the #58 I assume..(?) BTW I do have chubby 1 and 2- two brushes that along with the D3 really are my favourites.

Bottom line- would a "50s" provide a different feel..? Any comparisions with the chubbies and my D3 to the 50s would be much appreciated. I like the Best grading the best and have no desire to reach for other gradings. Also I face lather all the time and prefer not too much blooming if that brings any added info for your answers. Thanks!

Last edited:
Second re-surrection of this thread. I just got me a Duke 3 in best and I am in awe... Can anyone please comment if it´s worth to get one of these 50´s as well..? Contemplating the #58 I assume..(?) BTW I do have chubby 1 and 2- two brushes that along with the D3 really are my favourites.

Bottom line- would a "50s" provide a different feel..? Any comparisions with the chubbies and my D3 to the 50s would be much appreciated. I like the Best grading the best and have no desire to reach for other gradings. Also I face lather all the time and prefer not too much blooming if that brings any added info for your answers. Thanks!

I bought a 58 because, although I loved my Duke 3, the handle was a bit short for me; I was getting lather all over my fingers and it made the grip slippery. After much research I picked the 58 becasue it seemed just like an elongated version of the Duke with the largest knot I was interested in (otherwise I might even have bought a 59 for the extra handle length).

For me thre 58 is perfect. It's long enough and feels a bit more substantial in the hand - very solid handle and perfectly balanced. Possibly my favourite handle out there though I would thing a 57 would be just as good depending on personal preference. I highly recommend it on this basis. The knot performed identically (mine were Manchurian however so I can't speak for other hair grades).

proxy.php

As the proud owner of this new "57" I thought it might be a good idea to shine some light on an under appreciated line of Simpsons. (I think the Classic 1 and 2 deserve more notice too but that can be another thread)

For a brush that isn't even fully broken in I'm amazed at the lather this one produces.

Any other Fifty Series owners feel like chiming in? :w00t:

Just a beautiful photo of your Simpson 57 !

It looks very much like a Duke 3 handle. Is it worth considering a 50 for a face latherer like me, perhaps :001_cool:

The 58 has a very comfortable handle which I like better than D3. The higher loft makes it feel bigger on the face but it's dense and doesn't bloom as much as Commodores and Colonels. To me, it's one of the most versatile Simpsons models suitable for bowl and face lathering.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

After years of experience with assorted brushes, I decided that it was time to "gain knowledge" and buy a first Simpson. I collected as much info. as I could from other members, threads, Mark at Simpson, etc. and ultimately selected a 58 in Best.

I've only used it a few times thus far and here are my impressions:

I cannot find fault with the brush. Any short commings are a matter of taste and not quality. The handle is perfect. Comfortable, ergonomic and attractive.

I selected Best as I think of it as being characteristic of that for which Simpson is best known (Mark suggested Manchurian but I got sticker shock).

My taste favors more bulb/fan hybrid 2-bands(I've a few M&Fs and TGNs) and I love backbone with a little bit of scritch. I don't like the gel-like tips of many Rooneys.

I find this brush a little more of a fan and slightly lacking in backbone than I'd like. The loft is about 52 and that might account for these characteristics. A little shorter might change that. It is a very soft brush and not scritchy as I occasionally heard Best described. I guess more typical of a 3-band silvertip. Flow-through is excellent.

That said, I think this is a fabulous brush and exactly what it's supposed to be, just something different than I'm used to or expected. If all brushes were the same this would be boring so I expect to like it more and more over time. If not, I'm sure it still has a bright future.

Thanks everyone! (Very informative and good pics edgerunner). This lack of backbone that GrandeVT is speaking about concern me a little.. Are the bristles on the 58 also longer than on the D3? (That would explain the reason why)

Thanks everyone! (Very informative and good pics edgerunner). This lack of backbone that GrandeVT is speaking about concern me a little.. Are the bristles on the 58 also longer than on the D3? (That would explain the reason why)

Yes, it has a longer loft than D3 and splays more. But that's exactly why I like it more. It's a typical YMMV thing.

Yes, it has a longer loft than D3 and splays more. But that's exactly why I like it more. It's a typical YMMV thing.

I was more refering to the length of the bristles rather than their lofts. Anyway better backbone than the Colonel I suppose..?

So Gents, as a dedicated face latherer, what model 50 and Classic would suit me best ?

I know this is highly subjective, but handles longer than 50 mm is not ideal, and loft beyond 55 mm is stretching it...... YMMV

Thx for advice !

It does seem that the loft on the 58s vary between 50-52. Also, some are more of a bulb, some more fan-like. Edgerunner is correct, that's why mine splays a little more. It's the nature of the beast.

So, get a 58, bulb, 50 mm loft, and trade with me! :biggrin1:

So Gents, as a dedicated face latherer, what model 50 and Classic would suit me best ?

I know this is highly subjective, but handles longer than 50 mm is not ideal, and loft beyond 55 mm is stretching it...... YMMV

Thx for advice !

56 or 57, and the Classic 2. I have the 55 and Classic 1 and really like them, but they are just not as satisfying to use as the next sizes up.

Thx for advice !

57 for sure. Holds a ton of lather but isn't huge or a hog. Can't really comment on the Classic as I've only got and used the 1. It's excellent but it's sort of a traveler for me.

I only face lather soaps and the 57 works great! It's funny that my 57 has been getting a lot of use lately and then I find this thread resurrected :lol:

Somebody needs to start a CLASSIC appreciation thread....

I am really liking the 58. It is just the right size for me. I have done 4 shave with it (face lathering). It does splay a bit more than I am used to compared to my other brushes but this is not a bad thing - just a different thing.This is after the 1st wash - still a bit damp.

Attachments

• $DSC_0145_820.jpg
    $DSC_0145_820.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 235
Well, this thread has me using my 58 Best more often. I appreciate its qualities more with each use. An excellent all around performer.

Thread resurrection.

I have a Simpson 59 2-Band on the way via a trade for my M&F. ;D

Cannot wait! I wanted a Duke 3 in 2-Band, but I already have a Duke 3 in best. SO! What's my next best move? 59!

+1. I have a new 57 in best and find that it may give my current #1 brush (Duke 2 in best) a run for the the #1 slot in my rotation. The handle is very solid and the knot has an almost perfect balance of scritch and backbone. Based on earlier experience with Simpson's best, things should continue to improve with use as the tips soften.

Top Bottom