What's new

The Simpsons Fifty Series Appreciation Thread

I was going to say lets see some 58's or 59's! When I get around to a Fifty Series brush it's going to be a 58 or a 59. I just wish it looks as nice as that 58! :drool:

Ask and you shall receive....somerset 58

$HPIM0962.jpg

James, how does that 57 Super compare with the 57 Best (backbone, splay, softness)?

The 57 Super (Douglas) has really good backbone actually. When I used it, I don't remember it being floppy at all and the tips are softer than the 57 Best.

The 57 Super (Douglas) has really good backbone actually. When I used it, I don't remember it being floppy at all and the tips are softer than the 57 Best.

I leered at the Douglas on Phil's site for too long. They sold out!

You snooze you lose...

All right, my other Simpson that is labeled "57" is probably a "AS2M", so I went out today and found this:

$IMG_3921.jpg

$IMG_3922.jpg

For display, the knot is fine. But in use, it' lost all of it's backbone. Any suggestions about reknotting?

-jim

Here's two of the three Simpsons I own.

Can't post a picture of the 3rd because the Rover is in the mail somewhere...

But here's my 57.

$simpsons2.jpg

Okay, my favorite brushes tend toward a 22mm knot and a 52mm loft, roughly. I face lather and use soaps for the most part. I'd not mind adding something slightly bigger to the den. Not looking to go huge, just scale up a little. I had a Duke 3 once upon a time and loved it. I've considered getting another but the Fifty Series has been calling to me a bit more. For reasons I can't explain, the 58 is a little more attractive to me than the 57. I guess in part it's the fact that the slightly larger handle allows for more emphasis on the "waist." Maybe it's simply the fact that the 57 is too MOR, the precise midpoint of the Fifty Series scale. Anyway, I'm going back and forth between the 57 and 58. Does the 58 feel significantly larger on the face? Also, in general, do these lofts compare favorably in terms of bristle quality to the Dukes?

Sorry for the plethora of neurotic questions, but this will be my only Simpson, and there's not going to be room to add another to the den. So...57 or 58? What'll it be?

These are some great looking brushes. I hope to own a simpson one day, but it is out of my budget for now.

Okay, my favorite brushes tend toward a 22mm knot and a 52mm loft, roughly. I face lather and use soaps for the most part. I'd not mind adding something slightly bigger to the den. Not looking to go huge, just scale up a little. I had a Duke 3 once upon a time and loved it. I've considered getting another but the Fifty Series has been calling to me a bit more. For reasons I can't explain, the 58 is a little more attractive to me than the 57. I guess in part it's the fact that the slightly larger handle allows for more emphasis on the "waist." Maybe it's simply the fact that the 57 is too MOR, the precise midpoint of the Fifty Series scale. Anyway, I'm going back and forth between the 57 and 58. Does the 58 feel significantly larger on the face? Also, in general, do these lofts compare favorably in terms of bristle quality to the Dukes?

Sorry for the plethora of neurotic questions, but this will be my only Simpson, and there's not going to be room to add another to the den. So...57 or 58? What'll it be?

Both the 57 and 58 are spec'd with a larger diameter knot and shorter loft than your favorite range.
Either will probably surpass your expectations.

Both the 57 and 58 are spec'd with a larger diameter knot and shorter loft than your favorite range.
Either will probably surpass your expectations.

Oh, great. See, this is a helpful response, but in the wrong way:wink2:. Now I'm just going to have to try both eventually...so which to go for first? Decisions suck.

Hello again folks,

I thought it better to bump an older thread rather than start a new one to mention the Simpsons Fifty brush.

My previous experience with this model was the 57 'Douglas' and it was an excellent brush with an unusually shaped 2-band Super knot.

Before naming my new brush, can I again say thanks to Marco who gave me superb advise and opinion on Best grade hair. We were discussing a Colonel and this has really opened a new experience for me as I never tried this grade before. I was impressed with this hair on the Colonel and decided to get another to see. In fact, I also got a Duke 3 and a 58.

To mention the 58, the knot has got superb presence without being awkward and I feel that it is probably one of the finest all-rounders I have tried to date. If pressed to name a single, nicely priced, brush for somebody to try who possibly wanted to try all methods from face to bowl lathering with either creams or soaps, I would be hard pressed to find a better answer than a 58. In addition to the knot, what an outstanding handle it has - just about perfect, I feel.

Thanks again to Marco for getting me onto Best hair and I'm proud to be another happy member of the Fifty club :001_wub:

proxy.php

Skol,

Mark

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Hello again folks,

I thought it better to bump an older thread rather than start a new one to mention the Simpsons Fifty brush.

My previous experience with this model was the 57 'Douglas' and it was an excellent brush with an unusually shaped 2-band Super knot.

Before naming my new brush, can I again say thanks to Marco who gave me superb advise and opinion on Best grade hair. We were discussing a Colonel and this has really opened a new experience for me as I never tried this grade before. I was impressed with this hair on the Colonel and decided to get another to see. In fact, I also got a Duke 3 and a 58.

To mention the 58, the knot has got superb presence without being awkward and I feel that it is probably one of the finest all-rounders I have tried to date. If pressed to name a single, nicely priced, brush for somebody to try who possibly wanted to try all methods from face to bowl lathering with either creams or soaps, I would be hard pressed to find a better answer than a 58. In addition to the knot, what an outstanding handle it has - just about perfect, I feel.

Thanks again to Marco for getting me onto Best hair and I'm proud to be another happy member of the Fifty club :001_wub:

proxy.php

Skol,

Mark

It is always my pleasure, Mark. Your new brush looks truly gorgeous. Now which one next? The Polo looks very nice, too...

It is always my pleasure, Mark. Your new brush looks truly gorgeous. Now which one next? The Polo looks very nice, too...

Thank you, Marco.

I am going back to the start for my next additions. I have a couple coming from Mark including a lovely Manchurian Rover and, what will surely be the prize in my collection .... an Eagle!

Maybe sentimental, as it was one of my first brushes since returning to wet shaving, but the Eagle has always been special for me. After much thought, I went for a G3 2-band and look forward to shaving with 'Eddie The Eagle' later.

Mark

I had Simpson make me a 58 Manchurian. It's a superb brush if you love a great, comfortable scrub. The handle has the best combination of style and ergonomics I've owned.

Attachments

• $Simpson Manchurian 58.jpg
    $Simpson Manchurian 58.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 283
I had Simpson make me a 58 Manchurian. It's a superb brush if you love a great, comfortable scrub. The handle has the best combination of style and ergonomics I've owned.

Absolutely awesome looking! I am waiting on some materials to come in for a custom 58. Mark didn't know how long it would be so I had a high custom set of 57's put together for me.

I've only got the picture he sent me of them, but they should be here any day now i believe, so I'm trying to hold on till I can take some more to show you guys. ;)

Top Bottom