What's new

Greatest Guitar Players Ever

I didn't go through every post here, but I was surprised that more people didn't say George Harrison. I know he wasn't technically flashy but he was tasteful and a key to the Beatles' genius.

For that matter, I always appreciated Lennon's playing. He had soul -- listen to those Yoko Ono albums -- Lennon could make it howl.

In an an entirely different realm, John Fahey was awesome. One of the all-time greats.

Lee Underwood, who played on the great Tim Buckley albums, played a beautiful guitar. He's all but forgotten.

Ok, just about all the great ones were mentioned here and to tell the truth, I don't have have the time tonight to go through 18 pages, although I love guitar threads. Played for more decades than I care to remember.

So with that, I'll throw a crazy one out there for you. Anyone hear of Ralph Towner?

Ok, just about all the great ones were mentioned here and to tell the truth, I don't have have the time tonight to go through 18 pages, although I love guitar threads. Played for more decades than I care to remember.

So with that, I'll throw a crazy one out there for you. Anyone hear of Ralph Towner?

Yep. Solo and with Oregon the guy can flat out play. I recently turned a co-worker onto to Ralph.

Lee Underwood is a nice choice, too. His guitar and Buckley's voice was a great combination.

Lately I have been listening to a lot of avantgarde, plenty of Henry Kaiser, Elliot Sharp, Vernon Reid and a healthy dose of Terje Rypdal.

Yep. Solo and with Oregon the guy can flat out play. I recently turned a co-worker onto to Ralph.

Lee Underwood is a nice choice, too. His guitar and Buckley's voice was a great combination.

Lately I have been listening to a lot of avantgarde, plenty of Henry Kaiser, Elliot Sharp, Vernon Reid and a healthy dose of Terje Rypdal.
Yup, a real musicians musician. Still playing but almost all Europe. I studied with a student of his in NYC.
And you've also heard Rypdal! I can't believe it. I have a large collection of all those guys who recorded in Oslo on ECM/Polydor.
Nice!

Maybe not one of the most technically proficient, but in terms of innovative and influential.........T-Bone all the way.

A lot of the ones mentioned are amongst my favorites, so I will add a few that don't get enough recognition, IMO

Denny Dias-No longer active, his work with Steely Dan is amazing.
Eliot Randall-A session player's player.
Earl Slick.
Barry Bailey of Atlanta Rhythm Section. While maybe not the most technically gifted player out there, some mighty tasty licks and great slide player.
Al Kooper-Better known as a producer, Al can really play.

Indeed! I had to play some of his stuff in a cover band long ago. Yiks!
Hum...didn't quote like it should have, talking about Howe.

Last edited:
Another Steve Howe believer!!

How could one not be? I remember playing all Hendrix, Page, A. Lee and all that distorted rock stuff then I heard Steve. One of the cleanest guitarists I ever heard. That made me clean up my act. Then I started to get into all the jazz guys. Something should be said about the rest of the band too (Yes). He was with some great players.

I'm pretty certain, without reading the whole thread, that he wasn't mentioned before, so I'll do it. Stuart Adamson, guitarplayer and lead singer with Big Country. Sadly though he already isn't with us anymore, but what great songs did he leave us!!

Nice call on these guys. I've got a bunch of the ECM stuff, too. Another good avante guitar guy is Derek Bailey.

Nice call on these guys. I've got a bunch of the ECM stuff, too. Another good avante guitar guy is Derek Bailey.

Derek Bailey huh? Just caught a few of his videos on the tube. Crazy man. Improve at it's best. I wonder if he uses different tunings? You can't get some of those harmonics with standard tuning. I think.

How could one not be? I remember playing all Hendrix, Page, A. Lee and all that distorted rock stuff then I heard Steve. One of the cleanest guitarists I ever heard. That made me clean up my act. Then I started to get into all the jazz guys. Something should be said about the rest of the band too (Yes). He was with some great players.

Chris Squire's base lines were the perfect complement to Steve's lead and many times was the melody.

Rick Wakeman's keyboard playing was in a class by itself. The only person I would call his equal was possibly Keith Emerson.

This thread looks to have died down so I hope I'm not hijacking it by going past guitar players.

Jon Anderson was the weakest of the group IMO.

Top Bottom