What's new

So Who Here Plays Guitar?

I had a cheap acoustic guitar, lo, those many years ago ... like 50 of 'em, as in a half century. I wasn't terrible despite never taking a lesson and not being able to read music. I had a tendency to figure things out but only using "cowboy chords", I certainly wasn't a sophisticated player whatsoever. And eventually, I got sick of that tinny piece of acoustic garbage and literally threw it away. I gave up on guitars.
I grew up with a Milton upright piano, a modest but decent instrument and took to playing it instead. Years later, I bought Yamaha keyboard. I was going through a tough time (the divorce from my first wife) and found myself putting my soul into that instrument and actually wrote and recorded some songs. I rarely listen to them anymore but when I do, I think, "Well, that's not horrible ..."
Eventually, I got tired of playing it and gave it to Goodwill.
A few years ago, I got a relatively small holiday bonus from my employer and thought of buying a newer version of the keyboard and then stopped in my tracks before I hit the Buy button on Amazon.
"What have I wanted to play my whole life?" I asked myself. "A freaking electric guitar."
So that's what I did: a rudimentary Yamaha Pacifica 112J S-type, and a Fender Champion 20 amp. Both incredibly affordable purchases and yet it was the perfect choice.
To make a long story shorter, I've since added two acoustics, two more amps and four more electric guitars to my modest arsenal.
Has Eric Clapton called me up to open for him on the road?
No.
Is Tommy Emmanuel sending me emails accusing me of being better than him?
No.
But, man, it's a hoot and I've probably learned 60 songs or so. My method is to play my iPhone songs through my amp and attempt to play along with them. Sometimes I figure it out, sometimes I don't. And when I don't, there's always the World's Greatest Learning Tool, YouTube.
So tell me about your experience: what you play, how long have you played, what kind of stuff do you enjoy playing, etc.

I have played 6 string guitar off an on for almost 50 years but have been a pro/semipro bassist for about 40.

I am a good campfire guitarist but toured (think 4 idiots in an old van barely making enough money for food, beer and gas) in Canada playing bass in the 80’s and still gigged in cover bands every week or so until COVID hit.

I play everything but mainly rock and some metal.

I haven’t played much in the last couple of years but still own enough gear to make most recording studios jealous. 🤪

I have been attempting to teach myself guitar for a couple years...not good LOL!

My lovely bride recently approached the topic of the 2 guitars hanging on the wall...she is encouraging me to get hooked up with a teacher and a actually learn.

I would be happy enough with being a campfire "musician"

Be well
Jay

I have been attempting to teach myself guitar for a couple years...not good LOL!

My lovely bride recently approached the topic of the 2 guitars hanging on the wall...she is encouraging me to get hooked up with a teacher and a actually learn.

I would be happy enough with being a campfire "musician"

Be well
Jay
I'm pretty much in that league, maybe a titch beyond. I play for myself, primarily. Some neighbors came over and insisted I play something for them since they say all these guitars on the wall. I hesitated but finally relented and ripped off a pretty passable version of "Into The Great Wide Open" by Tom Petty.
I left them wanting more. :laugh:

I took guitar lessons for a while recently virtually until my teacher took ill--and not from my playing. Very sad.

I found it very satisfying, but did not practice as much as I really needed to. Having a teacher is really nice. If one has he patient to figure out songs from iPhone versions, one is probably going to going to develop much better with a teacher than I did. I do not know what all is available through iPhone, but You Tube let's one slow down songs, increments of 5% as I recall on a computer, keeping the same pitch. Pretty amazing and easier to manage than full speed!

I am shocked at how little a playable electric guitar and amp cost these days. Throw in a tube screamer pedal for maybe $28 and you will have a setup that can play some rock and roll and have it really sound like something.

I took guitar lessons for a while recently virtually until my teacher took ill--and not from my playing. Very sad.

I found it very satisfying, but did not practice as much as I really needed to. Having a teacher is really nice. If one has he patient to figure out songs from iPhone versions, one is probably going to going to develop much better with a teacher than I did. I do not know what all is available through iPhone, but You Tube let's one slow down songs, increments of 5% as I recall on a computer, keeping the same pitch. Pretty amazing and easier to manage than full speed!

I am shocked at how little a playable electric guitar and amp cost these days. Throw in a tube screamer pedal for maybe $28 and you will have a setup that can play some rock and roll and have it really sound like something.
You bring up a couple of really good points:
1) I really wish I'd hate formal training at some point. And, yes, I realize I can still do that and that "Gosh, you're never too old to learn!". But finding a good teacher is a crapshoot. I've talked to guys who have given lessons and received them and chemistry is vitally important. I'm at a point where, frankly, I'm not sure I want to practice scales every night for hours, although I know to be a great musician, I should. I'll never be a great musician. I'm at an age where I'm quite comfortable being a mediocre, relatively decent guitar player. I'm not 23 anymore, dreaming of being in a rock band on stage with girls throwing their unmentionables at me. I'm 70 and married and grumpy and it would take a crane to drag me onstage in front of anybody. 😂
2) YouTube is a stunningly good learning tool. Professionals post great tips and song lessons all the time. But sometimes it's not the slick, highly produced videos that crack the code. I was trying to figure out a riff a couple of years ago and watched several YT vids without any luck until I stumbled on one of a teenager in his bedroom in, like, Romania or something and, sure enough, there was the riff and I could see how he played it. It's such a great way to learn.
3) The quality of instruments is staggering. We live in the Golden Age of guitars and amps. And not just from the big companies like Fender, Gibson, Martin, etc. They have subsidiaries like Epiphone and Squier that produced stunningly good guitars that put a much smaller dent in your wallet. And digital amps nowadays are challenging the old tube style for a lot less money. You can get a decent rig just for playing around the house for a few hundred dollars.

You bring up a couple of really good points:
1) I really wish I'd hate formal training at some point. And, yes, I realize I can still do that and that "Gosh, you're never too old to learn!". But finding a good teacher is a crapshoot. I've talked to guys who have given lessons and received them and chemistry is vitally important. I'm at a point where, frankly, I'm not sure I want to practice scales every night for hours, although I know to be a great musician, I should. I'll never be a great musician. I'm at an age where I'm quite comfortable being a mediocre, relatively decent guitar player. I'm not 23 anymore, dreaming of being in a rock band on stage with girls throwing their unmentionables at me. I'm 70 and married and grumpy and it would take a crane to drag me onstage in front of anybody. 😂
2) YouTube is a stunningly good learning tool. Professionals post great tips and song lessons all the time. But sometimes it's not the slick, highly produced videos that crack the code. I was trying to figure out a riff a couple of years ago and watched several YT vids without any luck until I stumbled on one of a teenager in his bedroom in, like, Romania or something and, sure enough, there was the riff and I could see how he played it. It's such a great way to learn.
3) The quality of instruments is staggering. We live in the Golden Age of guitars and amps. And not just from the big companies like Fender, Gibson, Martin, etc. They have subsidiaries like Epiphone and Squier that produced stunningly good guitars that put a much smaller dent in your wallet. And digital amps nowadays are challenging the old tube style for a lot less money. You can get a decent rig just for playing around the house for a few hundred dollars.
Ugh. Stupid me. I meant to post, "I really wish I'd had formal training at some point." Not hate. 🙄

Been playing electric guitar for 30 years. Played in various bands for roughly 12 years. For a couple of years we probably played 100 shows a year. Blues, rock, some country, original material. "Retired" from playing gigs once I got married and had a child. Still play a lot every single day. I'll never give it up, but have become quite comfortable with the home life and, at this point, have no real desire to gig as much as I did in the past. If the occasional show pops up here and there I'd be happy to sit in, however I'm not pursuing a career nor do I have any delusions of becoming a rich and famous guitarist any longer. I just love playing and trying to become the best musician and guitarist I can be.

Been playing electric guitar for 30 years. Played in various bands for roughly 12 years. For a couple of years we probably played 100 shows a year. Blues, rock, some country, original material. "Retired" from playing gigs once I got married and had a child. Still play a lot every single day. I'll never give it up, but have become quite comfortable with the home life and, at this point, have no real desire to gig as much as I did in the past. If the occasional show pops up here and there I'd be happy to sit in, however I'm not pursuing a career nor do I have any delusions of becoming a rich and famous guitarist any longer. I just love playing and trying to become the best musician and guitarist I can be.
That's sweet. Nice to hear your story.
If you don't mind me asking, what guitars and amps do you still have in your arsenal?

Ugh. Stupid me. I meant to post, "I really wish I'd had formal training at some point." Not hate. 🙄

No worries. As anyone can tell, I am not much for proofreading my posts on B&B! We understood you abd I assume that much of the time folks understand me.

Well I would have had a great teacher for you, but not right now, anyway. He probably could have really accelerated things for you. Like anything else, one does not know what they fo not know. I have no expectation of gigging, but I imagine that playing with others would teach me a lot and up my game. I agree that You Tube is an amazing resource on so many levels. Just amazing.

Also completely agree that we are in a Golden Age of consumer electric guitars. I have not tried to compare past prices adjusted for inflation, but Squire, Epiphone, etc. are great quality. Even Glarry, Harvey Benton abd others can be very satisfying. A little set up helps!

I am 70, married, and grumpy, too!

And guitar acquisition syndrome is a real thing!

That's sweet. Nice to hear your story.
If you don't mind me asking, what guitars and amps do you still have in your arsenal?
Well, I've bought and sold a few things over the years, but I still have a some.

L to R: 2021 PRS McCarty 594, 1998 American Standard Strat, 2012 Les Paul, 2022 Whitfill T- Style.

Screenshot_20230814-214633.png

2021 Tyler Ampworks JT-22

Screenshot_20230814-214708.png

2003 Reissue Twin

Screenshot_20230814-214714.png

1976 Silverface Master Volume Super

Screenshot_20230814-214728.png

No worries. As anyone can tell, I am not much for proofreading my posts on B&B! We understood you abd I assume that much of the time folks understand me.

Well I would have had a great teacher for you, but not right now, anyway. He probably could have really accelerated things for you. Like anything else, one does not know what they fo not know. I have no expectation of gigging, but I imagine that playing with others would teach me a lot and up my game. I agree that You Tube is an amazing resource on so many levels. Just amazing.

Also completely agree that we are in a Golden Age of consumer electric guitars. I have not tried to compare past prices adjusted for inflation, but Squire, Epiphone, etc. are great quality. Even Glarry, Harvey Benton abd others can be very satisfying. A little set up helps!

I am 70, married, and grumpy, too!

And guitar acquisition syndrome is a real thing!
Us 70-year-old grumpy guys gotta stick together! 🤣
Playing with other musicians would undoubtedly turbocharge my learning process. My brother-in-law is very accomplished (he just bought himself a $5,000 Collings) and we play together a few times a year and I enjoy it immensely. He's not the type to say, "Okay, here's how you do this", but watching him has helped me immensely. I help him as well because he's partially deaf and I tell him when he's out of tune. :laugh:

To say I'm impressed and highly jealous would be a gross understatement! Nice rig! :ouch1:

Yeah, plus 1 on that. I am not worthy!

That's very kind of both of you to say. I've been very fortunate to own some decent pieces over the years. Some, unfortunately, I had to sell for various reasons. I'm pretty satisfied with what I have at the moment, but I'm always "looking"!!! Btw, those Collings are super nice!!! I'd love to get one of their I-35's eventually.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've played since I was a kid. In high school I was in a band that was fortunate enough to play out at least once a week, usually at high school dances in gymnasia or church/synagogue halls. Best part time job ever. DJ's killed bands like mine. I played rhythm guitar, and tried to introduce whimsical things like the mandolin or recorders or penny whistles, which got me tossed out of the band. I wanted to be in Fairport Convention, while the other guys wanted to be Led Zep. Washed up at 17... I had a Gibson ES335 electric in those days that I sold to finance my wife's engagement ring in 1991. I hadn't played the thing in years. But I still play my acoustic, a big Guild F50 R that I got a ridiculous deal on in 1975. I wanted a wee Martin parlour guitar, but ended up with the polar opposite. But I never looked back. I play 3 or 4 times a week here at home. I still have a mandolin and added a mandola some years ago. I used to go to trad Irish sessions but I'm too lazy to go particularly since the pandemic. I still think of a Martin 00-18 once in a while, but at this point I'll never buy it.

guild.jpg

That's very kind of both of you to say. I've been very fortunate to own some decent pieces over the years. Some, unfortunately, I had to sell for various reasons. I'm pretty satisfied with what I have at the moment, but I'm always "looking"!!! Btw, those Collings are super nice!!! I'd love to get one of their I-35's eventually.
Collings makes outstanding guitars. I was supposed to visit someone in Austin a couple years ago and wanted to stop by there but it got canceled due to COVID.
Well, as I said, those are some terrific guitars and amps. Just beautiful! If I get motivated, I'll try to take some pics of my stuff. But your stuff compared to mine is like a Blackland compared to a Van Der Hagen. 🤣

I have been really considering picking up an acoustic. Would love some suggestions/opinions.

Based on my budget and a few youtube videos, a yamaha FG830 or FS830 looks like a good option for a beginner.
But I am wondering if the Epiphone Hummingbird studio is a better option. Its 200$ more which takes it above what I had thought to spend. I will if some of you experienced folks think its worth the extra.
Yamaha is 470$ CDN
Epiphone is 650$ CDN

Thanks
Jay

I've played since I was a kid. In high school I was in a band that was fortunate enough to play out at least once a week, usually at high school dances in gymnasia or church/synagogue halls. Best part time job ever. DJ's killed bands like mine. I played rhythm guitar, and tried to introduce whimsical things like the mandolin or recorders or penny whistles, which got me tossed out of the band. I wanted to be in Fairport Convention, while the other guys wanted to be Led Zep. Washed up at 17... I had a Gibson ES335 electric in those days that I sold to finance my wife's engagement ring in 1991. I hadn't played the thing in years. But I still play my acoustic, a big Guild F50 R that I got a ridiculous deal on in 1975. I wanted a wee Martin parlour guitar, but ended up with the polar opposite. But I never looked back. I play 3 or 4 times a week here at home. I still have a mandolin and added a mandola some years ago. I used to go to trad Irish sessions but I'm too lazy to go particularly since the pandemic. I still think of a Martin 00-18 once in a while, but at this point I'll never buy it.

View attachment 1702659

Oh, I love that Guild! They did make and still do make wonderful instruments.
I'm glad you're still playing some anyway. It keeps the mind (and fingers) nimble.

Top Bottom