What's new

Vintage Abercrombie & Fitch Shaving Soap

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Pictured alongside A&F Aftershave.... Never used(soap)...$35.00,... I passed. Anyone own a puck? Had no discernable scent/fragrance.
proxy.php

Is this the same A&F that makes teenagers clothes nowadays? I hadn't heard of them making shaving supplies, but there is always a first time.

Is this the same A&F that makes teenagers clothes nowadays? I hadn't heard of them making shaving supplies, but there is always a first time.

A&F was originally an upscale outfitter based in NYC. It was founded in the early 1900. It was bought out by major retailer The Limited in the late 80's or 90's. It is now mainly a fashion retailer. From time to time you will find shave brushes and cool lighters from the old A&F.

Mike --

A&F was renown for offering exceptional, high quality gentlemens requisites in the 50's and 60's, and into the 70's. Fine sporting clothing. High grade shotguns. &c.

Then sadly, it turned into the hip-hop junk stores that litter all the shopping malls that we've come know. It's a damned shame...

I don't know if I'd drop $35 for the soap, --probably not. But I'll bet that it is of exceptional quality.

-- John Gehman

A&F was originally an upscale outfitter based in NYC. It was founded in the early 1900. It was bought out by major retailer The Limited in the late 80's or 90's. It is now mainly a fashion retailer. From time to time you will find shave brushes and cool lighters from the old A&F.

and fly rods, too. Eddie Bauer used to be real outfitters too.

Supposedly, Ernest Hemmingway took his own life with a shotgun purchased at an Abercrombie & Fitch store. Worked there for several years and heard that one go around quite a bit.

Don't forget about the much-sought-after straight razors, as well. Apparently damn fine shavers.

There was a cool 1960's movie called "Man's Favorite Sport" that starred Rock Hudson that was based on A&F.

I remember an episode of M*A*S*H where Charles Winchester runs around in a red plaid hunting outfit that he says he got from Abercrombie and Fitch. I think that was the first time I'd heard of them outside of those obnoxious shirtless ads. For god's, sake, they're a clothing company, shouldn't they be trying to show off their clothes?!

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I have owned a vintage A&F straight razor, having bought it last Christmas Eve in St Pete Florida. I enjoyed it very much but on a whim sold it to another member. I would imagine this soap was 1960's/1970's era. I passed by that antique store yesterday and didn't have any real want or need for the soap at that price...(somebody has been checking vintage shaving soap prices on ebay!)

Looks like it's time to raise the dead. I have an A&F Co. chrome plated blue velvet lined meta razor case that looks very similar to the l ones that came with Hoffritz Slants back in the day. I've been looking around for info on Abercrombie and Fitch safety razors and so far have not found much of anything about this particular box. I did find one recent ebay auction with an open comb razor in the same box that is advertised as a slant.

Anyway, does anyone know what razors might have come in these boxes? I doubt I'll ever find the exact razor to go in it, but knowing what razor MIGHT have come in it might help. I'm guessing any of your basic Merkur 3" handled razors might have been in there. Sort of wishing I could find the A&F Co. slant, but I guess that'd be a lot to hope for.

There have been three retailers called Abercrombie & Fitch, and the current A&F shares only its name with the original business. Founded in 1892 in Manhattan by David T. Abercrombie and Ezra H. Fitch, the original Abercrombie & Fitch was an elite outfitter of sporting and excursion goods, particularly noted for its expensive shotguns, fishing rods, and tents. In 1976 Abercrombie & Fitch filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, finally closing its flagship Manhattan store in 1977.

I am old enough to remember these stores and their products and they were damn fine stores and products.

The name was revived shortly thereafter, when in 1978-79, Oshman's Sporting Goods, a Houston-based chain, bought the defunct firm's name and mailing list. Oshman's relaunched A&F as a mail-order retailer specializing in hunting wear and novelty items. It also opened shops in Beverly Hills, Dallas, and (by the mid-1980s) New York City. Finally, in 1988, Oshman's sold the company name and operations to The Limited, a clothing-chain operator based in Columbus, Ohio. Oshman's use to be a really good outfit also.

The current version of A&F sells mostly clothes instead of pith helmets or elephant guns, and describes its retailing niche as an aspirational "Casual Luxury" lifestyle brand. Whatever that means.

Sic transit gloria mundi

There have been three retailers called Abercrombie & Fitch, and the current A&F shares only its name with the original business. Founded in 1892 in Manhattan by David T. Abercrombie and Ezra H. Fitch, the original Abercrombie & Fitch was an elite outfitter of sporting and excursion goods, particularly noted for its expensive shotguns, fishing rods, and tents. In 1976 Abercrombie & Fitch filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, finally closing its flagship Manhattan store in 1977.

I'm operating under the assumption that this box, and the razor that once occupied it must have come from the pre-1976 incarnation.

Top Bottom