What's new

Why does it come off as a 300 dollar razor is the only answer?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Ok I’ll play.

I thought you might, But I don’t have the energy to read huge essays with no indentions or paragraphs to break up the monotony?

Just kidding. :)

You like cheap razors and I love that for you but at the end of the day , what you use or anyone else uses is absolutely no sweat off my back side. I don’t care.

If you don’t care, then why the thread? Doesn’t your large, detailed OP, articulate and state very well that you do care?

So you put it all out there, but don’t want any discussion or feedback? Interesting proposal, but seems like a set up unless we only agree with your narrative?

Spend your money how you want to spend it, but anyone with eyes can see posts of people asking for advice and it’s mind boggling how many recommendations have to be overkill with pricey razors.

I bet I can list as many posts recommending vintage or cheap razors as you can expensive razors.

I’m not here to debate with you as you come off rather abrasive and days late to the party. I don’t care for your tone if I’m being honest and the dialogue was going rather well until you posted.

1. If you were not looking to debate a different opinion, then your OP is responsible for the confusion? Because creating a thread where you are saying “you think this and you don’t think that”? Is probably going to eventually bring others who either respond with what they think or debate the what and why’s of what you think?

So you created this thread just to make a self statement? Maybe you should have notified of this in advance?

I apologize for my tone since you don’t care for it, but is it fair to others that you can express yourself by saying it “makes you feel ick?”

Or suggest that those recommending expensive razors are brainwashing other experienced members of not getting cheaper razors? We are grown men here sir? We don’t need your protection?

You come off pretty krass yourself, at least I tried to temper my opinions with smiley emoji’s? Are you sure it’s my tone sir? Or just an opposing opinion that you don’t care for? :)

One last smiley emoji as a de-escalation technique? :)

OkieStubble

Nope. It’s you. His post was fine. You ARE here to debate, or you’d have kept that thought to yourself, instead of asking any and everyone. Because that’s what a post is; a question or statement to any and everyone who doesn’t have you blocked.

Thank you sir, this is exactly the truth. Nothing more or nothing less.

Quite the contrary. I’m not offended that heirlooms exist and if so, I’ll refer you to my original post #1 here. Just don’t care for your friend there and I’m allowed to have my opinions. I never got into it with anyone up until now 🤷🏻‍♂️

OkieStubble

All due respect, it seems like OP is offended that $300+ razors even exist. Which, I can respect. But expecting the rest of us not to talk about them, on a shaving forum, seems unreasonable.

Thinking Rob is abrasive also seems unreasonable. He's one of the most genial fellows here.

Thank you for the character reference Matt; and likewise my friend…. I hope it’s a convincing referral coming from a user name of ‘Darth Scandalous’…. ;)

OkieStubble

Quite the contrary. I’m not offended that heirlooms exist and if so, I’ll refer you to my original post #1 here. Just don’t care for your friend there and I’m allowed to have my opinions. I never got into it with anyone up until now 🤷🏻‍♂️

No disrespect intended sir, but your OP was a diatribe against expensive razors and those who use and/or recommend them.

You don’t care for me because I have my different opinion, but in the same breath and sentence say; “ you have a right to your opinions’?

This is your thread sir, of course you have a right to your opinions, but to be honest, I just don’t like your tone?

Can I play by the same rules as you do?

Can you not see the forest because of the trees?

You don’t like my differing opinion, so how do you respond? “I don’t like your tone”. You post an original post that not only begs for a a differing opinion sir,

But it conjures up the demand for a debate? :)

My opinion remains, all of us cheap and expensive razor owners already have our minds made up on what we like and refer to others a long time ago. We also accept each others choices and opinions in the matter; as long as they use the proper attitude and tone when expressing it. :)

One of us or both of us sir, are guilty of using improper tone. If you’re guilty of this it came in your post suggesting the false narrative that the onslaught of expensive razor recommendations is changing the landscape of wet shaving thru brain washing everyone by simply recommending expensive razors. If I’m guilty of this, it came after, in response to your post.

Again, first one smelt it, is probably the first one who dealt it? :)

Question: Would you have any problem at all if no one here ever used an expensive razor again? An honest answer, might just bring you some obvious clues?

:)

Last edited:
All due respect, it seems like OP is offended that $300+ razors even exist. Which, I can respect. But expecting the rest of us not to talk about them, on a shaving forum, seems unreasonable.

Thinking Rob is abrasive also seems unreasonable. He's one of the most genial fellows here.
He might become one of those guys who shave with an expensive razor. Never say never! I thought I was a minimalist shaver... I was wrong (damn you enablers!!! :biggrin1:)

I kind of agree. Back when I started, pretty much the most expensive razor you could buy was a Merkur Futur or a Feather AC razor. ADs still flourished, but it wasn't really about gear - everyone had basically the same limited options for gear - but about the shared experience of learning to shave with these tools that most people regarded as utterly anachronistic.

How things change! I too have noticed (not so much here, but certainly elsewhere) that when new people ask for advice, they sometimes get told to buy $200 or $300 dollar razors. It makes me wonder how the folks who make those recomendations are living, that they consider that a normal type of purchase decision for a complete newbie. It wouldn't have happened a decade ago, because razors in that kind of price category didn't exist!

There seems to be a tendency on hobby forums of all kinds for the conversation around equipment to gradually become dominated by well-off retirees with healthy levels of disposable income. They gravitate towards the most expensive options that the market can supply, and thus having collections of these luxury goods comes to be seen as normal and perhaps even an entry requirement for hobby participants, while the less expensive options start to be perceived as inadequate by comparison. I don't say that the owners of the expensive gear deliberately promote this outlook, but it seems to be an inevitable consequence.

You can see this effect seeping into the attitudes and assumptions of new shavers too. I once had a butting of heads with a guy who sounded like a relative newbie with a stable full of titanium, who basically insisted that any razor that isn't a high end CNC razor with covered blade tabs will be an inferior "garbage" shaver with "crap" tolerances and not worth their time. I pointed out to them that they were dismissing the first 115 years of DE razor production, and effectively saying that they would be unable to use any DE razor that wasn't manufactured within the past 5 years, which was more of a reflection on their own abilities and prejudices than the razors that were used and appreciated by millions. They didn't like that, but hopefully it demonstrated to them what an arrogant and elitist ******* they were coming across as.

I am not really sure what my point is, only to say that the shaving hobby seems to have become somewhat dominated by a slew of boutique razor manufacturers, and therefore it's become more about the acquisition and discussion of expensive stuff than it was 10-15 years ago. You could even say that there is just more discussion of stuff overall, since the number of options in all categories has exploded. It's good that here, there are still plenty of members who want to discuss more affordable and accessible products, and shower praise on vintage razors (although these are certainly no longer the bargains they once were).

Back when all razors were relatively affordable, this hobby was a brotherhood for gentlemen of all means and backgrounds. The explosion of expensive, jewellery razors has changed the landscape somewhat, but thankfully it hasn't turned it into something that excludes people whose budgets can't accommodate the "new normal" that these luxury goods have created. At least not yet!

Long may it continue! I personally love to see SOTD shots from guys in less developed countries who are having to scrape together a wet shaving kit from whatever cheap gear they can get their hands on - how much more meaningful and interesting than a carefully curated photograph from someone with a stable of $300 dollar razors and a shelf of expensive badgers! And having said that, on my next shave I am going to try and resurrect that "cheapshaver" thread from a couple of months back.

Edit: Weird that the forum won't let me say ******* but it does let me say crap. See? I said it again!
You are right about this observed tendency to see more posts regarding higher end products. Suspect much of this is just human nature where we enjoy discussing all the features and perceived benefits of a treasured shiny new toy. For lower cost items, that are often viewed as disposable, there is less conversation. My three razors, a King C. Gillette, Weishi Long Handle and newest Razorock Adjust (rebranded Baili) purchased for between $8-$14 are closer in price to disposable fast moving consumer products versus a consumer appliance. All the retailer/manufacturer marketing out there that tries to classify these as "beginners tools" to encourage shavers to move up to their higher end products likely results in many shavers avoiding posts for fear of being thought of as a newbie further reducing the public attention given these tools.

As I posted before there is no such thing as a "beginners DE razor". Guess what, they all use the same very sharp blades! My Weishi is a Gillette super speed clone, never heard one of those referred too as a beginners razor even though the design is similar.

What matters to shave quality is blade geometry, grip quality and weight as they relate to each of our individual preferences and beard characteristics. Each of us can decide if we are happy with great shaves from a sub-$15 chromed Zamac or brass razor, a C.N.C. machined stainless or titanium collectable or something in between. - YMMV. We've a great hobby hear with a wide range of available equipment to fit our individual preferences.

My $39.99 (USD)King C. Gillette yields great shaves each morning.
One of my three razors, a great mild shaver that still delivers BBS shaves for me also. $39.99 is a lot for this razor as it typically goes for between $20-30 on Amazon (Currently listed for $27). Picked up mine (and a back up) for $12-$14 on Amazon during a couple different holiday sales.

Last edited:
One of my three razors, a great mild shaver that still delivers BBS shaves for me also. $39.99 is a lot for this razor as it typically goes for between $20-30 on Amazon (Currently listed for $27). Pick up mine (and a back up) for $12-$14 on Amazon during a couple different holiday sales.
How is this shaver versus the Merkur / muhle r89/ EJ? Is it any different in aggression?

Better in what way? For your health I suppose you're correct ;)
To the OP, if I were to sell everything I have I'm easily in the 10s of thousands of $. My $300 Feather ASD2S is maybe slightly better than a $25 tech. My $125 Rex Envoy sucks, my $150 Pils 101NE is amazing! My $6,000 serial toggle isn't about the shave at all, nor are many of my vintage pieces. We all spend and save in different ways. I don't begrudge someone not getting it, and only having a superspeed they love. I also completely understand people like myself who consider it a hobby and investment. View attachment 1761931
Nicely said. Wonderful museum quality collection! Thank you for sharing.

Top Bottom