What's new

Why does it come off as a 300 dollar razor is the only answer?

I’ve been wet shaving and reading this forum off and on for 15 years. I recall when the price point of the Feather As-D2 was astronomical, and then the one blade came out and shook things up.

In my time back here and being active, it seems like everyone seeking feedback for a razor is being suggested to spend money on a razor well over 200. Does anyone else think this is almost an outrage? You don’t need a 200-400 dollar razor and I’m convinced these razors are better made in terms of quality but is there a 20% increase in quality than a cheaper version? Or are members justifying the price of their shiny toy?

Wet shaving was around long before these companies were in production and we have wwaayyyy too many options if you ask me. I know this may come off as an unpopular opinion but it’s really just a razor and shaving at the end of the day. It gives me the ick.
You made some good points. You really don't need an expensive razor for a nice BBS. The cheap Fatip piccolo razor is a great razor and it's 19 euros, it might not win a beauty contest but it's a great razor. My most expensive razor is the Merkur Progress I got it for 70 euros and I would recommend this razor to a beginner because it's an adjustable razor and on the lowest setting it's super mild. I think most of us here spend more money on soaps and aftershaves, that is true lol

The most I ever spent on a razor was $80 on my WeberPH, as a birthday treat. Greart razor BUT my Gillette Slim bought in 1964 for $1.95 (about $20 in today's money) works just as well, this includes my Fatboy, and 109. For my Parker Variant and Pearl Flexi, I think I spent under $60 for each.
There are so many great razors out there at low prices that will give the same shave, if not better than a $200 to $300 razor.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
A Gillette Super Blue (basically a modern Gillette Tech) can usually be purchased brand-new for under $5.00 and you can get a few tucks of Super Blue blades with it for around $20. Spoiler: it's also my favorite DE razor besides the black plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic (which can still be found for around $10 with a tuck of Wilkinson Sword blades). That's what I'd recommend to a newbie these days, and I still haven't run into a DE razor that shaves better than either of these. If you want to spend a little bit more, the King C. Gillette DE is pretty good, as are the blades; however, I think it's possible to find equally good options much cheaper. None of these razors will last forever, but you'll certainly get your money's worth out of them until you decide you want to buy a more finely crafted razor. Me, I just keep a few of the inexpensive razors around and use those. Good enough for me.

+1 on everything you said and the Gillette Super Blue razor.

It’s not my favorite because I got it for only $4. It’s not my favorite because of the quality of the materials it’s made with.

It’s my favorite razor, because it gives me way better shaves than any, heavy, stainless steel modern designed Artisan made $200 plus razor; and it gives closer shaves than any $20 vintage Gillette.

I have owned and shaved with all of these and everything in between over the years, but I was never chasing the best made tools, I have only ever chased the best made shave.
And I have found this shave with the Gillette Super Blue.

When it comes to a DE shave, my search & chase is over, thank God.

+1 on everything you said and the Gillette Super Blue razor.

It’s not my favorite because I got it for only $4. It’s not my favorite because of the quality of the materials it’s made with.

It’s my favorite razor, because it gives me way better shaves than any, heavy, stainless steel modern designed Artisan made $200 plus razor; and it gives closer shaves than any $20 vintage Gillette.

I have owned and shaved with all of these and everything in between over the years, but I was never chasing the best made tools, I have only ever chased the best made shave.
And I have found this shave with the Gillette Super Blue.

When it comes to a DE shave, my search & chase is over, thank God.

Congratulations!! Great approach; you defined what makes you happy, then you found it!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

OkieStubble

I’m not sure why this is pivoting toward newbies. I’m not taking about suggestions to newbies.
I just want to be perfectly clear …. When someone is seeking a razor the replies tend to be wildly expensive razors making a reader feel that a cheaper razor is absolutely inferior and a waste of time.

You’re not talking about newbies, but it’s only an inexperienced newbie who would do what you are saying and ‘feel’ like a cheaper razor wouldn’t give a good shave?

Any one here with experience, all know good and well that price of equipment doesn’t play into some kind of universal pigeon hole for a great shave.

The people who like expensive, quality made gear usually, from experience sir, already have their minds made up? And experienced people, who, like me; seek out a great shave for less money, also have our minds pretty much made up.

But for you to suggest, that ALL readers other than inexperienced newbies will just automatically assume expensive gear is the only way to a great shave is either naive or presumptuous?

So you say you are not referring to just newbies, but it’s pretty much just the inexperienced newbies that wouldn’t know this?

Sounds like you are the only one that needs to make up your mind? Because everyone who is happy with their expensive razors and everyone who is happy with their cheap razors have ALL pretty much made up their minds in what they want and like?

I like cheap razors. If I look for something else to try, it’s probably going to be another cheap razor? If someone who is using an expensive razor wants to try something different? There’s a pretty good chance their next razor they try is going to be another expensive razor?

So it seems both sides have their eyes wide open? Except for newbies? But you keep insisting you are not referring to newbies? Who else is there?

Buying a $200 razor is still a better hobby than hookers, coke, copious amounts of booze or gambling. 🤷‍♂️
Better in what way? For your health I suppose you're correct ;)
To the OP, if I were to sell everything I have I'm easily in the 10s of thousands of $. My $300 Feather ASD2S is maybe slightly better than a $25 tech. My $125 Rex Envoy sucks, my $150 Pils 101NE is amazing! My $6,000 serial toggle isn't about the shave at all, nor are many of my vintage pieces. We all spend and save in different ways. I don't begrudge someone not getting it, and only having a superspeed they love. I also completely understand people like myself who consider it a hobby and investment.
20231208_103524.jpg

OkieStubble

Better in what way? For your health I suppose you're correct ;)
To the OP, if I were to sell everything I have I'm easily in the 10s of thousands of $. My $300 Feather ASD2S is maybe slightly better than a $25 tech. My $125 Rex Envoy sucks, my $150 Pils 101NE is amazing! My $6,000 serial toggle isn't about the shave at all, nor are many of my vintage pieces. We all spend and save in different ways. I don't begrudge someone not getting it, and only having a superspeed they love. I also completely understand people like myself who consider it a hobby and investment. View attachment 1761931

This begs the question…

Is there a difference between a $20 hooker and a $200 hooker? :)

Based on my journey shaving mapping, I would never spent more than 100 usd for a razor.

However I did it twice for Rockwell 6s and Karve Overlander. One of them will be for sale though.

Still after trying several types of razors, if a newbie is not greedy, I would say that some good choices are for a budget and quality shave :

De: Fatip Grande / Gentile ( 20 usd)
Injector : I prefer Schick M adjustable.(20 - 30 usd in Ebay)
Ac : Yaqi Excalibur (20 usd)

You will read a lot about premium razors delivering unreachable shaves, but it is just a shave. I think the choices above will cover the needs for many years.

Personally, I could mentioned many other razors, but I also believe that the shaving razor wheel is already invented and you will find it in any of Gillette vintage razors. The only reason I don't use them is that I prefer a razor with blade tabs covered.

Personally I find the schick adjustable razor a fantastic razor!
PXL_20231209_140439823.PORTRAIT.jpg

You’re not talking about newbies, but it’s only an inexperienced newbie who would do what you are saying and ‘feel’ like a cheaper razor wouldn’t give a good shave?

Any one here with experience, all know good and well that price of equipment doesn’t play into some kind of universal pigeon hole for a great shave.

The people who like expensive, quality made gear usually, from experience sir, already have their minds made up? And experienced people, who, like me; seek out a great shave for less money, also have our minds pretty much made up.

But for you to suggest, that ALL readers other than inexperienced newbies will just automatically assume expensive gear is the only way to a great shave is either naive or presumptuous?

So you say you are not referring to just newbies, but it’s pretty much just the inexperienced newbies that wouldn’t know this?

Sounds like you are the only one that needs to make up your mind? Because everyone who is happy with their expensive razors and everyone who is happy with their cheap razors have ALL pretty much made up their minds in what they want and like?

I like cheap razors. If I look for something else to try, it’s probably going to be another cheap razor? If someone who is using an expensive razor wants to try something different? There’s a pretty good chance their next razor they try is going to be another expensive razor?

So it seems both sides have their eyes wide open? Except for newbies? But you keep insisting you are not referring to newbies? Who else is there?
I’m sure you make fantastic points however I am not reading your essay

OkieStubble

I’m sure you make fantastic points however I am not reading your essay

Essay? It’s only 5 short paragraphs that have just a few sentences each because a single block wall of text is much harder to read?

I dunno, first you blame members who own expensive razors for the cause of all the worlds evils; and now, it’s my fault because you’re too lazy to read 15 sentences?

First one smelt it, is probably the first one who dealt it? :)

Last edited:
Essay? It’s only 5 short paragraphs that have just a few sentences each because a single block wall of text is much harder to read?

I dunno, your essay accusation seems to be a deflection which is easier to do instead of admitting to simply being presumptuous?

It’s not a big deal, who hasn’t ever been presumptuous?
Are you actually trying to argue with someone on a shaving forum? lol

OkieStubble

Are you actually trying to argue with someone on a shaving forum? lol

Are you serious?
I’ve been wet shaving and reading this forum off and on for 15 years. I recall when the price point of the Feather As-D2 was astronomical, and then the one blade came out and shook things up.

In my time back here and being active, it seems like everyone seeking feedback for a razor is being suggested to spend money on a razor well over 200. Does anyone else think this is almost an outrage? You don’t need a 200-400 dollar razor and I’m convinced these razors are better made in terms of quality but is there a 20% increase in quality than a cheaper version? Or are members justifying the price of their shiny toy?

Wet shaving was around long before these companies were in production and we have wwaayyyy too many options if you ask me. I know this may come off as an unpopular opinion but it’s really just a razor and shaving at the end of the day. It gives me the ick.

So you only wanted absolute total agreement to this?

So you’re one of those? :)

Ok I’ll play. You like cheap razors and I love that for you but at the end of the day , what you use or anyone else uses is absolutely no sweat off my back side. I don’t care. Spend your money how you want to spend it, but anyone with eyes can see posts of people asking for advice and it’s mind boggling how many recommendations have to be overkill with pricey razors. I’m not here to debate with you as you come off rather abrasive and days late to the party. I don’t care for your tone if I’m being honest and the dialogue was going rather well until you posted.

Nope. It’s you. His post was fine. You ARE here to debate, or you’d have kept that thought to yourself, instead of asking any and everyone. Because that’s what a post is; a question or statement to any and everyone who doesn’t have you blocked.

Top Bottom