What's new

Why does it come off as a 300 dollar razor is the only answer?

I’ve been wet shaving and reading this forum off and on for 15 years. I recall when the price point of the Feather As-D2 was astronomical, and then the one blade came out and shook things up.

In my time back here and being active, it seems like everyone seeking feedback for a razor is being suggested to spend money on a razor well over 200. Does anyone else think this is almost an outrage? You don’t need a 200-400 dollar razor and I’m convinced these razors are better made in terms of quality but is there a 20% increase in quality than a cheaper version? Or are members justifying the price of their shiny toy?

Wet shaving was around long before these companies were in production and we have wwaayyyy too many options if you ask me. I know this may come off as an unpopular opinion but it’s really just a razor and shaving at the end of the day. It gives me the ick.

I see lots of recommendations for vintage Gillettes, especially for newbies. There is no point recommending someone spend big money on a razor if they haven't learned to shave. Pick up an old warhorse and develop some skill, and preferences, before encouraging anyone to go big would be my approach.

Same in the world of straights. Pick up a vintage razor in OK condition, and have it honed by someone that knows what they are doing. Then, once you have learned to shave, and developed a feel for what you like in terms of grinds etc., drop 300 on something fancy. Or not. Whatever makes you happy.

first time GIF

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I started wet shaving with a Claymore Evolution. With the exchange rate back them, it was roughly $160 with the razor stand. I had some disposable income at that point but I still had sticker shock.

However, I used that AC for 5+ months. I loved only having just a few blade choices and I got the best shots of my life.

As a result, "I've shaved a fortune."...... I have a few top end razors (a couple ACs and a few more DE razors) that work so well for me, I sold off the few Vintage Gillette razors I had. I don't have any plans to replace any of them or search for others. I am getting to a place of contentment with the modern gear I have accumulated over this past almost 2 years..... man, did the time fly by.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I’ve been wet shaving and reading this forum off and on for 15 years. I recall when the price point of the Feather As-D2 was astronomical, and then the one blade came out and shook things up.

In my time back here and being active, it seems like everyone seeking feedback for a razor is being suggested to spend money on a razor well over 200. Does anyone else think this is almost an outrage? You don’t need a 200-400 dollar razor and I’m convinced these razors are better made in terms of quality but is there a 20% increase in quality than a cheaper version? Or are members justifying the price of their shiny toy?

Wet shaving was around long before these companies were in production and we have wwaayyyy too many options if you ask me. I know this may come off as an unpopular opinion but it’s really just a razor and shaving at the end of the day. It gives me the ick.
There are lots of good deals on razors and brushes if you wait for sales and you might not buy home country manufactured products that are of very good quality. If a fellow wants to buy a high end razor & he has the means to do so that is good for folks who are manufacturing that niche market cliental.
I know of a few manufactures that produce nice razors for $100 + or - $20 and made of quality material like(Razorock, Karve, Yates, Yaqi, West coast shaving, PAA, DScosmetic, Henson, Oneblade....... to name a few). There is something for everyone out there when it comes to costs and budgets.
I have a nice collection of razors that I bought over a 6 year time period and not really interested in selling them either at this time. I own cheap razors and a few around the $100 and enjoy them all. I think traditional shaving has never been better for products and deals out there for a person who is purchasing shaving gear.
If a person is retired and wants a few nice razors why not, or a person who has to have latest and best shaving products let them purchase to their hearts is content. I get excellent shaves with a few of my under $10 razors and a few good badger brushes as a person who might have a $300> razor..... IMO. Manufacturing costs are very high and some of the high end products that have big price tags are just to keep the doors open at their businesses is what I see happening in the shaving world of products.
Have some great shaves!

You can get something from Razorock like a GC, Lupo or BBS for 55-70$, they are machined 316 steel and will last you many lifetimes and shave you amazing. No need to spend 300$ unless you really want to burn some cash.
I have a game changer , very good razor. Razorock is the best value in shaving in my opinion.

The only other better value is a dorco pl-602 which doesn’t seem to be made anymore .

A Gillette Super Blue (basically a modern Gillette Tech) can usually be purchased brand-new for under $5.00 and you can get a few tucks of Super Blue blades with it for around $20. Spoiler: it's also my favorite DE razor besides the black plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic (which can still be found for around $10 with a tuck of Wilkinson Sword blades). That's what I'd recommend to a newbie these days, and I still haven't run into a DE razor that shaves better than either of these. If you want to spend a little bit more, the King C. Gillette DE is pretty good, as are the blades; however, I think it's possible to find equally good options much cheaper. None of these razors will last forever, but you'll certainly get your money's worth out of them until you decide you want to buy a more finely crafted razor. Me, I just keep a few of the inexpensive razors around and use those. Good enough for me.

I love my $200 Wolfman razors. They are impeccably crafted with ridiculous precision and shave great. The $10 50’s Gillette Red Tip I bought at a pawn shop shaves nearly as well.

I also play bass guitar and in the mix my $200 Fender Squier sounds nearly as good as the custom crafted Fodera that I flew to Brooklyn to pick the woods for. The Fodera bass cost an insane amount of money and every time I play it I smile.

Buying a $200 razor is still a better hobby than hookers, coke, copious amounts of booze or gambling. 🤷‍♂️

I love my $200 Wolfman razors. They are impeccably crafted with ridiculous precision and shave great. The $10 50’s Gillette Red Tip I bought at a pawn shop shaves nearly as well.

I also play bass guitar and in the mix my $200 Fender Squier sounds nearly as good as the custom crafted Fodera that I flew to Brooklyn to pick the woods for. The Fodera bass cost an insane amount of money and every time I play it I smile.

Buying a $200 razor is still a better hobby than hookers, coke, copious amounts of booze or gambling. 🤷‍♂️
I also play bass guitar. I am jealous of the the Fodera. Gorgeous instruments.

At the same time, I have found that my 1976 blonde-on-blonde Fender Precision is really hard to beat. 👍

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It’s not even specifically toward a newbie, it’s just in general from my observations. It’s just mental. Maybe I’m just used to the older days where people gravitated toward vintage Gillette razors, and newer razors were a Rockwell or something.
I actually feel a bit embarrassed about the razors I have because of your thoughts on this topic. I bow out of most of the newbie advice threads. I read them... but never recommend razors... or at least, I know I don't now.

I don't regret buying any of the razors I currently have... after thinning the herd a bit after buying too many near the beginning of my own journey. I don't suggest others follow the path I've taken, even though I enjoy using all my top razors. Yet, I feel like I've priced myself out of many of the most active threads here on B&B. Fortunately, there are lots of options here on B&B.

This isn't the first time I've thought about this topic. I know it's possible to get a great shave with less expensive razors. I have evaluated how I approach my hobbies.... all of them, not just this one. I've always had expensive tastes...... you know, champagne tastes but a beer income. This hobby is comparatively inexpensive than all the other hobbies I've had.... or tools I used for work in years past. I don't have to own "the best"... but I tend to choose the best I can afford at the time. When I started this journey, I had a decent size slush fund saved up. I used it up faster than I thought possible... so there is that. Now, I save up for any new gear I want, but I don't have much on my radar at the moment.

Top Bottom