What's new

Why does it come off as a 300 dollar razor is the only answer?

This isn't the first time I've thought about this topic. I know it's possible to get a great shave with less expensive razors. I have evaluated how I approach my hobbies.... all of them, not just this one. I've always had expensive tastes...... you know, champagne tastes but a beer income. This hobby is comparatively inexpensive than all the other hobbies I've had.... or tools I used for work in years past. I don't have to own "the best"... but I tend to choose the best I can afford at the time. When I started this journey, I had a decent size slush fund saved up. I used it up faster than I thought possible... so there is that. Now, I save up for any new gear I want, but I don't have much on my radar at the moment.
When it comes to power tools the cheapo's are the worse ones, they have crappy support, replacement parts are harder to get, you'be better off with some brand like Makita or Festools.

Couple days ago I ordered a synthesizer keyboard which is a clone of the Oberheim OBXa. It was 1300 euros, to me it's worth it 1000000% someone else might have a different opinion but the way I see it is: hobbies cost money and once you're dead your money will be totally worthless to you. If you can afford something and you really want something then buy it, there is nothing wrong with that but you don't need an expensive razor to get a great shave. I get a BBS with all my razors the most expensive razor I own is the Merkur Progress which I got for 70 euros.

I think the income of a person plays a part in this, if someone is broke then 70 euro might sound a lot but if someone earns a nice paycheck than the 70 euro isn't much.

I really think this all comes down to the difference between a user wet shaver and a hobbyist wet shaver..
I find this the key to understand both groups, lovers of cheap razors and also those who like to spend money on something more expensive. What is parallel for wet shaving is in my case road bike. I like it so much that my road bike cost more as car that I use daily. Does it make sense? Probably not, but car is for me only utility, what I have to use to go shopping, to work.. but what I enjoy is road bike. Same for wet shaving, I like it as hobby, not only need to shave daily.

In my 7yr journey into traditional wetshaving I spent the first 2yrs chasing the next best thing for what I thought was my price ceiling which was around $50 and can honestly say the longest lasting shave I got was about 5-6 hrs worth and the entire time it was right in front of me with all the suggestions to upgrade to a Timeless razor... Shortly into my 3rd yr I found a great deal in a BST on another forum for a Ti Timeless razor that from the 1st shave with it the shave quality was the best I'd ever had at about 14-16hr average BBS shave!! I sold everything else off and used the Ti Timeless for the next 3yrs as my sole razor but in the back of my head I kept saying if Blackland ever came out with a titanium version of the Blackbird I would buy one because of all the positive feedback the SS version had. That wish came true about 2yrs ago and the shave I found was even better than the Ti Tmeless so it had to go and now the Ti Blackbird is the only razor in my cabinet because paired with the right blade delivers me a 16-20hr BBS every shave out and is just what I've always looked for and the search was over...

Long story short, although I spent $300 for a razor, which btw after selling the Ti Timeless it was only about $80 out of pocket, I see guys today that buy up every GC, Lupo, Overlander, Henson, Yates, and every other <$100 razor and have a collection that cost 2-3 times more than my $300 razor and then justify it by saying they don't need a $300 razor because it can't possibly shave or doesn't shave as good as my <$100 razor!! Ignorance is bliss friends!!

Last but not least... @SharpieB It doesn't matter what you play it through or how many pedals you use to make it sound better,

A Squire Strat
View attachment 1762918

Will never match the sound and quality of a Gibson SG!! :punk:

View attachment 1762920
Nothing wrong with being one and done, however let’s face it, 98% of people here are not one and done lol .

In my 7yr journey into traditional wetshaving I spent the first 2yrs chasing the next best thing for what I thought was my price ceiling which was around $50 and can honestly say the longest lasting shave I got was about 5-6 hrs worth and the entire time it was right in front of me with all the suggestions to upgrade to a Timeless razor... Shortly into my 3rd yr I found a great deal in a BST on another forum for a Ti Timeless razor that from the 1st shave with it the shave quality was the best I'd ever had at about 14-16hr average BBS shave!! I sold everything else off and used the Ti Timeless for the next 3yrs as my sole razor but in the back of my head I kept saying if Blackland ever came out with a titanium version of the Blackbird I would buy one because of all the positive feedback the SS version had. That wish came true about 2yrs ago and the shave I found was even better than the Ti Tmeless so it had to go and now the Ti Blackbird is the only razor in my cabinet because paired with the right blade delivers me a 16-20hr BBS every shave out and is just what I've always looked for and the search was over...

Long story short, although I spent $300 for a razor, which btw after selling the Ti Timeless it was only about $80 out of pocket, I see guys today that buy up every GC, Lupo, Overlander, Henson, Yates, and every other <$100 razor and have a collection that cost 2-3 times more than my $300 razor and then justify it by saying they don't need a $300 razor because it can't possibly shave or doesn't shave as good as my <$100 razor!! Ignorance is bliss friends!!

What you seem to be saying is that extra $$$ spent equates to more hours of BBS. Whilst I can't deny your experience, I do think this sounds rather bizarre.

Granted, I never tried a $300 razor, but I have used razors that cost anything from $5 through to $140 and run the gamut from very mild to very aggressive. I am very much like the person in your example, having bought and sold several options that are available around the $120 mark (most razors cost more outside the USA) and can honestly say that I have found absolutely no correlation between price and shave quality, or how long a shave lasts. In my experience, the quality of results is determined almost entirely by technique, routine, familiarity with the razor you are using, and selecting the right tool for the job. As I always say, when your technique is good enough, you can get a great shave out of pretty much anything - some of my best shaves are achieved with a $4 shavette.

So, given that there is no correllation between price and shave quality in the $5-$140 range, and that razors at the cheapest end of the scale are perfectly capable of delivering lasting BBS shaves, I struggle to accept that some kind of correllation magically kicks in at the $200 mark and allows access to levels of shave quality that were previously unattainable.

So, I can't help but feel I have misunderstood your point. Is that what you are saying? And if it is, is there anyone else that shares this view? I think it's great that you have found what appears to be your grail razor, I just find the experience you recount to be radically different from my own.

Addendum: The only way I could see that a person might encounter some kind of correllation is if they were like certain Youtube shavers who appear to do exactly the same thing with every razor instead of adapting their technique to the tool at hand. We've all see the kind of guys I am talking about, where a WTG pass consists of about 10 long strokes, exactly N to S covering their entire face, and at the same angle regardless of what razor they are using. Personally, that would make my face look like steak tartare. I am not saying this is how you shave, but I can understand how these guys might find that a very aggressive razor gives them a longer lasting shave than a very mild razor, because there is absolutely no attempt to adapt what they are doing to the razor they are using. But even then, the correllation between razor and results is based upon aggression, not price.

What you seem to be saying is that extra $$$ spent equates to more hours of BBS.
Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying, for "ME"... :detective:
Whilst I can't deny your experience, I do think this sounds rather bizarre.
I've been told by some friends that parts of my life are bizare, I call it being unique... Seems to work for me!! :punk:
As I always say, when your technique is good enough, "you" can get a great shave out of pretty much anything
That was the most important part of that sentence and I'm very happy for "you" that "you" can do that!! :clap:
some of my best shaves are achieved with a $4 shavette.
Again, I'm very happy that that works for "you"....:a14: Not so much for me!! :(
I struggle to accept that some kind of correllation magically kicks in at the $200 mark and allows access to levels of shave quality that were previously unattainable.
As I posted previously, when I used that Ti Timeless the 1st time I knew instantly that was the razor for me and yes, the levels were beyond any shave I'd ever had up to that point!! It was pretty much the same when I received the Ti Blackbird with the exception the BBS lasted longer than previously. Granted, not by much, but was still enough I knew the Ti Blackbird was the razor for me at that point and still is to this day!! It has been a magical part of the journey so far in my 7yrs traditional wet shaving... So magical in fact I found with the Timeless that I could get away with shaving every other day instead of daily because at the 24hr mark there just wasn't enough stubble to shave at that point. 🪄
So, I can't help but feel I have misunderstood your point. Is that what you are saying? And if it is, is there anyone else that shares this view?
No, I don't think you've misunderstood anything, if I hadn't spent the $200 on the BST for the Ti Timeless I probably would've quit shaving altogether and grew a beard if I'd had to keep using the cheap razors I was using unsuccessfully!! Not sure if anyone else shares the same views as me as I am me and not anyone else... :out:
I think it's great that you have found what appears to be your grail razor,
Thank you... and to think it only cost me another $80 out of pocket after selling my Timeless!! :yikes:
I just find the experience you recount to be radically different from my own.
We are different people and not related as far as I know so it should be different from yours!! :a8:

Have a nice day and may your days be filled with awesome $4 shaves... :ouch1:

Why does it come off as a 300 dollar razor is the only answer?​

It doesn't. It never did. Same goes for everything in western society. Cars, scotch, TVs, you name it. Buy what you can afford, and let others enjoy theirs. Members meet here to discus their hobby, be it cheap or expensive. $300 razor is the answer to some. So be it. I read about it and I am happy for them.

We are different people and not related as far as I know so it should be different from yours!! :a8:

I think it's fair to say this is the ultimate case of YMMV. :lol:

So magical in fact I found with the Timeless that I could get away with shaving every other day instead of daily because at the 24hr mark there just wasn't enough stubble to shave at that point. 🪄

Fair enough. I have found it possible to achieve similar results with any number of razors. There's usually something that I could shave after 24 hours, and if I still worked in a professional environment I would feel it was necessary, but I prefer to give my skin a break. Immediately, I think of my first Fatip, which was my sole razor from 2013 through to 2020. It took a bit of mastering, but then it killed my RAD for years until I started looking on forums again and realised how many new razor manufacturers had appeared.

No, I don't think you've misunderstood anything, if I hadn't spent the $200 on the BST for the Ti Timeless I probably would've quit shaving altogether and grew a beard if I'd had to keep using the cheap razors I was using unsuccessfully!!

That does beg a few questions and I still can't help but wonder if, after a suitable period of application, you wouldn't be able to achieve similar results from something less flashy with comparable geometry. Without knowing your early "razor history" it's difficult to tell, and I doubt you are likely to experiment so I guess we will never know! Perhaps you were right, "ignorance is bliss" after all! ;)

Just reviewed my new Razorock Adjust (Rebranded Baili) adjustable DE razor. I've been impressed with it. It runs from mild to moderate. At the mildest setting it is slightly more aggressive than my very mild King C. Gillette and similar to my moderate aggressiveness Weishi 9306 long handle. It has the longer handle you are looking for. This is still on sale at Italian Barber for $7.99 U.S. ($15 regular price).

Grab one of their Monster 26mm plissoft synthetic shaving brushes for $8.99, a three-pack of their What-the-Puck shaving soaps (Black, Blue and Green) for $8.99, the $3.49 brush and razor stand and $4.99 steel lather bowl and you have a nice initial DE shaving set up for under $35 plus shipping (roughly $7 to the U.S.). These are all sale prices.

Note that they also have blades either by the 100 pack or in smaller quantities such as four 5-packs of Astra SPs (20 blades) for $3.49. I have and use all these items and have found them to perform well. Note their Teck II safety razor, a mild DE on sale for $4.99, is well regarded by many fellow B&B members.

When starting out, several of the online sites have sample packs of blades. I put on my Christmas list the 8 varieties of blades (total of 50 blades - 1 duplicate) and it's $14.25.

It doesn't. It never did. Same goes for everything in western society. Cars, scotch, TVs, you name it. Buy what you can afford, and let others enjoy theirs. Members meet here to discus their hobby, be it cheap or expensive. $300 razor is the answer to some. So be it. I read about it and I am happy for them.
I disagree. Read the posts here and you’d see it for yourself. It’s almost a 2:1 ratio for a razor over $100 versus under that price point.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Now it's razors over $100?

And more expensive than a Gillette Super Blue safety razor or Sanguine barber razor, too. Goalposts move, but too affordable is somehow wrong, too.

I do think you should invest in the best quality shaving towels you can afford.

Some day, me and @rockviper will get Texas Tea Towels like our pal, @MilkCrate and we’ll be living high on the hog I tell you what.

If you Razor of choice is 15.00 Vintage Tech, and your happy shaver

They can deliver the best shaves, there’s no doubt about that.

I don't have any problem with what someone spends on any razor, but I personally know that out of say 25+ razors I've used there have only been 2 that have helped me attain the shave I've always looked for, the Ti Timeless and Ti Blackbird!! The rest I had noticeable stubble, some after only a few hours but the rest, all less than 8hrs and that was unacceptable to me. My Ti Blackbird gets me into the 16-20hr window no problem every shave out and whatever the cost doesn't matter to me so why should it matter to anyone else? If a $5 Tech works for you I'm ok with that, I only ask you respect my decision for what works for me!! I don't tell anyone what to spend they're hard earned money on!!

I don't spend a lot of time in the Safety Razor subforum, so I can't dispute the OPs claims directly, but it feels a little off to me based on the rest of the site. When someone comes asking for recommendations (for razors, brushes, soaps, whetstones, firearms, smoking pipes, etc), it usually falls into 3 basic scenarios:

1. "Recommend me a new x," or "Recommend me a new x with these specific attributes." Responses run the gamut from cheap to expensive and everywhere in between. Almost always, there is a discussion of what, if anything, you're getting for the extra money.
  2. "Recommend me a new x with these attributes for under y dollars." Here you'll invariably get a great breakdown of whatever products exist in that price range and honest assessments of them.
  3. "I'm thinking about either x or y, help me decide." The answer is, of course, buy them both.
I think this site is great for these kind of discussions-- sure, there's some enabling, see point 3-- but it's helped me be a lot more intentional about the money I do spend on this hobby.

When starting out, several of the online sites have sample packs of blades. I put on my Christmas list the 8 varieties of blades (total of 50 blades - 1 duplicate) and it's $14.25.
What have you decided on for a first "back to DE" razor and brush?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I try to receive advice from people with shared likes and dislikes. When I first started, I had no idea what those entailed for me. I bought several well regarded items and was often disappointed. It was no one’s fault: I had no idea what I was doing.

After a while, I met @Mr. Shavington . He was nice enough to buy the only razor I had and we started comparing notes. His recommendations have been spot on.

Not too long after I showed up, I started reading several journals and that helped me a lot. That’s where I met Jim / @Chan Eil Whiskers . He helped me discover what kind of face feel I liked in brushes.

Top Bottom