What's new

Mitchells Wool Fat Shaving Soap is no longer Tallow based

As others said, it was somehow expected. Will check the store I normally buy from and get some stock right now.

Anyone knows what is the reason why they are moving away from tallow? Are there problems with the supply? Are the prices too high?

I thought palm oil was the new "no no" as an ingredient, aren't they cutting down rain forests to plant palms?
Here is an interesting factoid. A lot of stearic acid is made from palm oil as well. Now you can get stearic acid from other sources too, but I think that the main one. One great source for stearic acid is actually soy wax (which is not really a wax, but just fully hydrogenated soybean oil). You can make great shave soap from soy wax.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Wow. You are right, I just got my order from Connaught last week with 4 pucks trying not get caught with my pants down on reformulation. I noticed the box was different but didn’t look at the ingredients.
Just looked..I can confirm tallow is no longer in the formula. 😢
I’m done!!! I’m no going to chase restocking, I now have 3 pucks of tallow and 4 of the new formula.
Does it really matter though? Could you tell the difference in a double blind test? Shaving creams cannot contain tallow as it is solid at room temperature and people love them.

Just ordered two packs from Amazon (currently 7.25GBp each, great price) to see if they come with the old formula. Tallow is still listed as an ingredient on their page, but that's no guarantee. But enough to return a product if needed.

Does it really matter though? Could you tell the difference in a double blind test? Shaving creams cannot contain tallow as it is solid at room temperature and people love them.
I can tell a difference between tallow and non tallow speick, on this one we shall see.
The ingredients on this are very different. Not all soaps perform the same

Wow... I had wanted to try MWF eventually. I used only Tabac for around 15 years and they ruined it for me by taking the tallow out, but I guess it was ok because I discovered Arko :) Stirling and other great soaps. I thought mutton tallow was MWF big selling point? Well there's still electric sheep and prob others...

Top Bottom