What's new

Shaving soap for sensitive skin

Hello! Please recommend shaving soap for sensitive skin from those listed below.

1. Zingari Man (Sego base).
2. Barrister and Mann (Omnibus base).
3. Mitchell's Wool Fat (Tallow).

Thanks!

I get irritation when i do sports a lot (due to amount of sweat, i guess), my experience is that the irritation os mostly due to the fragrances. And soaps will do not have a strong fragrance do not cause irritation (in my experience).

I never had irritation from:
-Stirling soaps (i tried many)
-Proraso
-Zingari man
-TFS
-Phoenix

• Cheers
Reactions: nav
FWIW, I've not tried Zingari.
But for less irritation, I'd lean to B&M over MWF.
Not sure exactly, but my few B&M soaps seem a bit more 'neutral' vs MWF.
Both are great shave soaps, IMHO.

Try Stirling Sheep or MdC Nature if you are willing to go outside the list...

Not familiar with the 3 soaps you mention, but I would chose the one with the least ingredients or fragrance

This might sound harsh but until you've had a contact dermatitis reaction to an EO or FO in a soap or cream you don't really know what sensitive skin is.

There often seems to be no rhyme or reason for it either. Over the years, for example, I've tried a bunch of almond-scented Italian shaving soaps. Some burned my face and turned my skin beet red for days. Some only gave me a light tingle on the second pass. Some caused no issue whatsoever. Even among similar products there can be differences in the amount of fragrance or the supplier they got it from and what was added to it.

When you start having a reaction, you'll know. It usually begins before you start shaving.

I think Zingari man would be your best bet. I believe they purposefully use less scenting ingredients to help with sensitivities. Of the five B&M soaps I have the only two I don't get any kind of frag burn from are Hallows and Oceana, but Marilyn wasn't too bad. Both Death and Fougere Classique give me a mild to below moderate burning sensation during the shave that dissipates after rinsing. Performance is excellent though, but I believe Zingari Sego performs a bit better for me. Still I try to support B&M as they're pretty local to me and to be sure I will keep purchasing Hallows as long as he makes it. (Waves and Cologne Russe are still on my next to try list as well 😁)

I noticed my neck has been getting irritated, then I realized it was worse after I shave. Only the sides of my neck,
which is weird, and it starts after I shave. I'm going to have to start noticing which (if any) of my soaps are causing this reaction.
This makes me sad, because I love my soaps!

I have very sensitive skin and I've had good luck with Lainess Unscented. /Asinerie de la Vioune/
It is a great croap soap and worth a try. You can get it at Pasteur Pharmacy.

Some are sensitive to lanolin, so I'd suggest Stirling Unscented with Beeswax. Great performance in every way (I think it is superior to their normal bases) and contains none of the usual suspects that people can be sensitive to

This might sound harsh but until you've had a contact dermatitis reaction to an EO or FO in a soap or cream you don't really know what sensitive skin is.

There often seems to be no rhyme or reason for it either. Over the years, for example, I've tried a bunch of almond-scented Italian shaving soaps. Some burned my face and turned my skin beet red for days. Some only gave me a light tingle on the second pass. Some caused no issue whatsoever. Even among similar products there can be differences in the amount of fragrance or the supplier they got it from and what was added to it.

When you start having a reaction, you'll know. It usually begins before you start shaving.
Tell it like it is, brother! In my case, a free sample of Pre de Provence lavender cream or lotion of some sort had me staggering like a right hook from Mike Tyson. Now, Pre de Provence makes some of my favorite bath soaps, so I am a fan of the brand in general. But not that particular product. Also, fragrance-free laundry detergent is an absolute must for me. Anything I put on my face needs to be either fragrance-free or very light fragrance. Proraso white is a good mildly scented choice, as is Haslinger. In another thread I've compared Stirling and Canada unscented and both are good.

Tell it like it is, brother! In my case, a free sample of Pre de Provence lavender cream or lotion of some sort had me staggering like a right hook from Mike Tyson. Now, Pre de Provence makes some of my favorite bath soaps, so I am a fan of the brand in general. But not that particular product. Also, fragrance-free laundry detergent is an absolute must for me. Anything I put on my face needs to be either fragrance-free or very light fragrance. Proraso white is a good mildly scented choice, as is Haslinger. In another thread I've compared Stirling and Canada unscented and both are good.

Fortunately I am not restricted to unscented products, but it's definitely trial and error for me and always has been. There are definitely products I simply cannot use.

I do use unscented laundry detergent though.

I get irritation when i do sports a lot (due to amount of sweat, i guess), my experience is that the irritation os mostly due to the fragrances. And soaps will do not have a strong fragrance do not cause irritation (in my experience).

I never had irritation from:
-Stirling soaps (i tried many)
-Proraso
-Zingari man
-TFS
-Phoenix

This!
Soaps with scents, especially stronger scents, always made my skin sensitive during the shave and also outside of the shave, e.g. Sweating, heat, humidity etc would make my skin itchy or irritated.

I now mostly use unscented soap which has really transformed my skin for the better.
No more extra sensitivity in heat/humidity.
No more excessive dryness in harsh winter months.

In fact, since switching to unscented soap and aftershave balm, my skin has never been better!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

I only had it happen once.... but my skin didn't recover fully for three weeks.. and I'm not exaggerating. It sent me to my dermatologist..... and I've been using unscented soaps since.

Top Bottom