What's new

Most Pungent, interesting or otherwise foul smelling soaps

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
There are, apparently as mentioned here at B&B in other posts, some Southern Witchcrafts scents that are touted as smelling of mildew and dirt.
I can't imagine it could get much worse than that.

From their site:

Autumn Ash: Maple, spice, smoke, amber, cedar, oud, rain, plum, blackberry, ash, birch tar, pumpkin, coffee, dirt, mildew

Druantia: Cedar, Oakmoss, Rosewood, Moss, Cypress, Tobacco, Fungus, Sandalwood, Mitsutake, Myrrh, Amber, Orange, Ginger

Lycanthropy: Fir tree, lilac, musk, mildew, moss, Egyptian jasmine, palo santo, white sage, ozone

Necromantic: Wisteria, rose, honey, red wine, dirt, ozone

Valley of Ashes: Coal, Tar, Bourbon, Tobacco, Bitter Citrus, Smoke, Leather, Motor Oil, Burning Rubber, Diesel, Clove, Birch Tar, Bergamot
I don’t use scented soaps for the most part but I do love their unscented Incorporeal.

Edit: I just had my wife read your post. She loved it.

B and M diamond is one of the weirdest scents I have experienced.

I have a couple of southern witchcrafts soaps which I also didn't really like.

Nocturne (Zingari Mann/B&M). The label indicates "apple, leaves, woodsmoke." Off the puck I get a heavy dose of yeast, musty cheese, and woodsmoke. Lathering it up releases a very faint apple smell.

In fairness, the more I worked down the puck, the more the apple scent emerged and blended better with the yeasty cheese. Maybe Will forgot to stir my batch?

There are, apparently as mentioned here at B&B in other posts, some Southern Witchcrafts scents that are touted as smelling of mildew and dirt.
I can't imagine it could get much worse than that.

From their site:

Autumn Ash: Maple, spice, smoke, amber, cedar, oud, rain, plum, blackberry, ash, birch tar, pumpkin, coffee, dirt, mildew

Druantia: Cedar, Oakmoss, Rosewood, Moss, Cypress, Tobacco, Fungus, Sandalwood, Mitsutake, Myrrh, Amber, Orange, Ginger

Lycanthropy: Fir tree, lilac, musk, mildew, moss, Egyptian jasmine, palo santo, white sage, ozone

Necromantic: Wisteria, rose, honey, red wine, dirt, ozone

Valley of Ashes: Coal, Tar, Bourbon, Tobacco, Bitter Citrus, Smoke, Leather, Motor Oil, Burning Rubber, Diesel, Clove, Birch Tar, Bergamot
All are fantastic! Thank you for helping me decide what software to shave with today. I’ll go with Autumn Ash. It has a delicious maple and campfire scent.

And dirt and mildew!
:lol1:
That too!
IMG_3183.jpg

I used Autumn Ash as well this morning, cheers @awk_m4!

Southern Witchcrafts soaps are wonderful. They are complex and interesting and also quite slick. I don't smell mildew, dirt, or anything bad. On the other hand Chiseled Face Sherlock smelled very dirty and I wondered why someone would want to smell like that when they were clean.

Razorock Saturnia - this is supposed to smell like being at a Roman thermal spring somewhere near Mount Vesuvius. I think it's the sulfur note that puts people off. I actually like this soap, but only occasionally for a relaxing night shave. It's definitely unusual.

Cyril R Salter French Vetiver - this is strongly scented with, as they say, a "dirty vetiver". Very, very dirty. And strong. And persistent. I generally like vetiver scents, but this one's pretty intense.

If it hasn't been mentioned suede de cashmere and myrrh shaving soap from Stone cottage. I thought I would have really like it I like both in theory. But it was just too strong one dimensionally for both of them

Southern Witchcrafts soaps are wonderful. They are complex and interesting and also quite slick. I don't smell mildew, dirt, or anything bad. On the other hand Chiseled Face Sherlock smelled very dirty and I wondered why someone would want to smell like that when they were clean.
@spacemonkey42 totally agree! Like my favorite Scotch and bourbons, their are varying degrees of complexity that takes practice to notice some of the more subtle scents. Btw I've yet to meet a Bourbon that I don't like. :)

Even though I really love Southern Witchrafts, I do read the scent profiles to the wife to get a laugh out of her. Then I got some tubs and samplers and we had a sniff-off. She really liked most of them, but didn't like the smoky ones. Valley of Ashes is pretty pungent, but far smoother than you would imagine. I am unlikely to buy a tub, but want to also smell it lathered. Labrynth is also interesting, I mostly get the smell of wet stone, it is exactly what you think it would be. Not one I will buy, but glad I got to smell it. Both of us like the other scents a lot.

I adore Chiseled Face Sherlock. I think it smells like a library.

On the subject of "dirt" and "mildew" scents... a lot of pure florals (like, the actual flowers) have some very earthy undertones. Petunias, for example. And violets have that dirty, almost gasoline note. Roses, depending on the variety are earthy too. I don't know about mildew, though.

As far as fungus, if you have a paper bag full of fresh picked mushrooms, it's a pretty delightful smell in my opinion.

Whether these are things you want in a soap is another matter entirely.

Stirling's Port-au-Prince smells like a pile of wet yard mulch to me. Although not necessarily in a bad way.

Top Bottom