What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

Good afternoon ,, good cup from moccomaster but i can tell machine needs to be decaled,,
One huge plus hand grinders, easy clean
While i am not boasting on c40, the grind output, on the nitro burrs produces an outstanding cup of coffee,,, not experience the addition of Red Click, for expresso, usage but hear with added red click excellent expresso as well,,
Been looking maybe in future for electric grinder ,,
Ok just thinking out loud,,
Cheers all

/////

Colombia Tolima Finca San Sebastian Organic​

E0FDBC36-62F5-4740-AE81-21885AE47EAA.jpeg

I did try something new today based on that YouTube video posted in the other coffee thread. I kept the water temperature at 185F and used the same semi-coarse grind from the hand cranked KINGrinder K-1. I guess you could say, it's dried bread crumb fineness. The change I made was to make sure to scoop off the foam at the 4 minute mark..... then he said to let it set for another 5 minutes. I couldn't seem to manage that but I did hit the plunger at 6 minutes. I think the main difference was.... I didn't push the plunger all the way until it hit the top cap. I stopped it when the grounds just touched the bottom.

Several coffee "experts" online suggested 60 grams of coffee to 500 grams of filtered water. That has to be Very strong coffee. I use 40 grams to around 950 grams of water....way, Way less than they recommend.

I hate the James Hoffman French Press method. He changed the way it brews because he doesn't like that brew method, and the internet spread the word of their coffee prophet. He's legitimately a coffee expert, but I abhor that his method became "THE" French Press method.

Rant done.

I also took that foam scoop step from his method. That's a pretty great move. I still brew for about 4 minutes, scoop at 3:20 or so, press when done scooping.

60g coffee to 500g water is wayyyyyyy too much coffee, who the heck recommends that?! Probably people selling coffee...

That is very strong. I always use 30 g coffee to 500 g water as a starting point.
This is more like what I see everywhere. It's very often recommended 1:15 or 1:16 coffee to water. 30g coffee to 500g water is close enough and round enough numbers that you don't really have to think about ratios.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Good morning, coffee crew.

Mad Priest DNOTS in the french press.

It's 36° in Music City right now with a high around 67° today. It looks like we have some rain moving in after midnight. I'm seeing lows back down in the 20s on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Bring your plants in. 🪴🪴🪴

I'll be home all day catching up on projects, emails and poking around on B & B. I'll get a shave in later after I hit the workout facility.

Have a blessed day, my friends.

Now Playing:

I think @never-stop-learning might approve of this one. :)

OIP.jpg

I had coffee with an old friend this morning, Trader Joe's whole bean 'Joe'. I haven't had it in more than several years, but found myself at Trader Joe's this weekend and thought I'd pick up a can. A medium roast of an unspecified blend of Arabica beans in a 14oz can for $4.99 ($5.70/lb).

A quick trip through the Mr. Coffee burr grinder last night, brewed up nice and hot at 03:30 this morning in the trusty Presto percolator provided a rich, satisfying, dare I say "honest" cup of coffee or two to start the day.

-Greg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Good morning, coffee crew.

Mad Priest DNOTS in the french press.

It's 36° in Music City right now with a high around 67° today. It looks like we have some rain moving in after midnight. I'm seeing lows back down in the 20s on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Bring your plants in. 🪴🪴🪴

I'll be home all day catching up on projects, emails and poking around on B & B. I'll get a shave in later after I hit the workout facility.

Have a blessed day, my friends.

Now Playing:

I think @never-stop-learning might approve of this one. :)

View attachment 1621875

Indeed I do. :cool:

My old Bunn Phase Brew is a workhorse this morning. Made up a batch of Happy Mug Rainy Day Blend to see my wife off to work and then some Eight O’clock Original to enjoy with my son when he woke up. Should have some parts for my old gas furnace as well as a vaunted Gillette Regus (gotta love eBay listings from people who don’t know better) so I have plenty to keep me busy today.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Good morning, coffee aficionados.

I repeated what I did yesterday... and waited the extra 5 minutes while I emptied and put away the dishes from the dishwasher. So a total of 9 minutes for the French Press.. Gentle pressing until the grounds touch the bottom of the Bodum French Press.

I did time the manual coffee grinding.... two fills of the KINGrinder K-1 along with the grinding took 3 minutes.

I also scooped off the foam right around the 4 minute mark.

All in all, I think this optimized the taste for me. I'm still using 185F filtered water. Lovely taste.

I have a hair cut at 1:30PM... I'll row when I get home... then shave. Should be a nice day. We're headed up to 72F today... 80F tomorrow... then cooling back into the 60s for daytime temperatures until the middle of next week.

Top Bottom