What's new

*CONFIRMED* King C Gillette blades are *NOT* rebranded Platinums!

I was given a single King C. Gillette blade a while ago and I've tried to find it today to give it a try, but sadly I couldn't find it. I really want to try these blades just to see what's all the fuss about. They are just too expensive for me and I'd rather buy something else.

T
I was given a single King C. Gillette blade a while ago and I've tried to find it today to give it a try, but sadly I couldn't find it. I really want to try these blades just to see what's all the fuss about. They are just too expensive for me and I'd rather buy something else.
To me they are 80% of Nacet
80% sharpness, 80% smoothness, 80% longevity
For the price, they are not woth it.
I got 5 pack with KCG razor and that is all I needed for testing

Gillette makes razors and blades. That has been their primary mission for more than a century.
You point out well how much of a different world this is; the way P&G does business is nothing like the way you sold and represented products. The Gillette Company made razors and blades for a century, but the company doesn't exist and has no mission. Gillette is a brand that P&G puts on products; they'll use the brand if it's valuable and stop if it isn't.

Maybe that's no way to run a razor blade company but, again, they're not a razor blade company.

Maybe that's no way to run a razor blade company but, again, they're not a razor blade company.

Well, the not a razor blade company controls better than half the world market on razors/blades.

I believe they still manufacture cartridge razors in the US?

Most American products seem to be manufactured in China?

I don't see it as a low priority question, other than they don't care to be bothered giving a sufficient answer to it.
Thus: A low priority question.
Gillette makes razors and blades. That has been their primary mission for more than a century.
Their cartridges sales have a far higher profit margin than DE blades. Accordingly I don't see a question about the specific provenance of KCG blades being given a large amount of resources.
If they can not tell someone specifically the difference between any of the razor blades that they manufacture, there is something they are hiding that they don't wish to disclose.
I doubt there's intentional deception. I think it's more likely a "here's some marketing speak you can use as a reply because researching an actual detailed answer is resource intensive, and we have no economic incentive to do so."
Why would they be making different razor blades, if there were not specific differences between them? How would someone not be able to explain the products they manufacture?

I can not even begin to tell you all of the different products I have sold and represented over my lifetime. I can assure you, if I am representing a product to someone, I can clearly explain the ways it is the same and the ways it is different from another model and the competitors models.

Is a simple, single piece of metal with no moving parts that fits in any standard DE razor that complicated that even the manufacturer can not provide an explanation for it?
One would think they should be able to do so. But the generic response to the inquiry suggests otherwise to me. I could be wrong, of course, but my skepticism about the accuracy of the answer seems justified because the answer sounds so generic.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Do you think inside Gillette there is a a group that has conversation like...?

I know, let's take one of our normal blades, lable and package it differently and sell it at several times the cost of the same blade. Then we'll sit back and be entertained by the goings on over at B&B forums...

For the record, I'm not saying they are the same or different. I really don't use Gillette blades to any extent. I have some KGC but still have 4/5 of the tuck left from when I bought a KCG. I've tried some 7 O'clock, GSB, Platinum etc. None of them blew my skirt up over any other sharp decent blade I've used.

Average consumers are not aware of what most members here are aware of and wouldn’t know about alternative blades so they would contently buy these KCG blades at full price. Heck, I haven’t started using DE blades until I knew they were available through the internet when I was in my 30’s -not because I didn’t want to try using one sooner but the lack of availability in B&M stores. My cousin was using Merkur DE blades happily for years until I recently gave him a sampler pack.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I found it interesting and telling that she listed the product’s specifications in purportedly describing the difference. Oh this is a different blade. “This is stainless steel with a platinum coating.” That’s exactly what the other one is. She is describing the product at issue not any different design. I think being vague and being tricky. Now I’m confused about the anti friction coating she mentioned. That does not appear in the company description. So what is this remarkable design difference? Or is it marketing? I’m assuming that’s a property of the platinum coating. I’m suspicious of the marketing department that brings us the Mach 200. 😵‍💫
I think the "anti-friction" coating is actually applied by the end user in the form of water and Gillette Foamy!

FarmerTan

I know, let's take one of our normal blades, lable and package it differently and sell it at several times the cost of the same blade. Then we'll sit back and be entertained by the goings on over at B&B forums...

For the record, I'm not saying they are the same or different. I really don't use Gillette blades to any extent. I have some KGC but still have 4/5 of the tuck left from when I bought a KCG. I've tried some 7 O'clock, GSB, Platinum etc. None of them blew my skirt up over any other sharp decent blade I've used.
I suppose it's POSSIBLE that Gillette has more than a few "moles" inside this thread! I mean, who among us hasn't wondered at least a little bit about that @Mike M chap?!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.

No, I think if there is any conversation it goes more like this
Document.png

FarmerTan

Yeah, you were in my top three suspects.... @Esox has always been a bit shifty.

Honorable mention goes to @Whilliam .....he acts all innocent all the time, but who spells William like that? My brother has that name, and he ain't that brite, but he gets it right.... Ol' "Whillie" sticks out like a sore thumb doggone! Gotta be hidin' something...

Yeah, you were in my top three suspects.... @Esox has always been a bit shifty.

Honorable mention goes to @Whilliam .....he acts all innocent all the time, but who spells William like that? My brother has that name, and he ain't that brite, but he gets it right.... Ol' "Whillie" sticks out like a sore thumb doggone! Gotta be hidin' something...
Psssst... Mister....
Would you be interested in 1000 Gillette blades, free of charge.

I like the KCG blades a lot, but not worth the cost over the long haul. I have some Facets
T

To me they are 80% of Nacet
80% sharpness, 80% smoothness, 80% longevity
For the price, they are not woth it.
I got 5 pack with KCG razor and that is all I needed for testing

I have some Nacets coming in the mail today, so will be interested to see how they compare to the KCG blades. I do really like the KCG blades.

Top Bottom