What's new

King C Gillette blades now made in China

Frankly, I don't know. Could well be the case, but anyway, all these brands belong 100 % to P&G now (for better or for worse).
To me, the big question now is does this (moving KCG to China) signal the closure of the PPI production.

I don't think P&G acquired any DE brands. Many of the brands were acquired by Gillette, not originally Gillette. For example Polsilver, Rubie, Astra, Nacet, Permasharp, 7oclock, Minora, Flying Eagle, Sputnik. They didn't used to carry the Gillette logo on the front label until more recently. Some still don't, such as Flying Eagle, Astra, Wilkinson Sword in Brazil, Minora in Colombia. The brands were bought by Gillette and sold at a lower price than Gillette branded blades.

Polsilver was acquired by Gillette. Polsilvers were then produced by Gillette in Poland, then Czech Repbulic, then India, and finally Russia, if I recall correctly.
Where have you seen Polsilver made in the Czech Republic?

I haven't even seen made in India Polsilvers. All I've seen is Poland or Russia.

Indian production of Polsilvers (and other Gillettes for Europe) was brief, and apparently not great quality.
1697654203273.png

Czech production of Gillette blades was also relatively brief.

…is does this (moving KCG to China) signal the closure of the PPI production.

Maybe Gillette is finally giving in due to political pressure, or perhaps PPI can no longer source raw materials.

Anyone know where the blade steel ribbon they use to make the blades comes from? Is PPI able to import it due to current political crisis?

Yet another interesting question is what is gonna happen with the factory itself? Given the current situation, P&G may not be allowed to take machinery out of Russia, and Russians may seize the factory (as they have done with other western assets). This is not insignificant IMO. This is (was) one of the bigger and better quality production facilities for DE blades in the world. If this production capability is lost, it inevitably will lead to a reduced supply, which, in turn, means price increase. The quality is another concern. PPI blades are known as being of very good quality. The same cannot be said for Chinese and Indian made blades.

UPDATE:
Just stopped by a drugstore that carries Gillette Platinum. I am sad to inform you that these blades are also now MADE IN CHINA. The new packaging is a plastic blister on a card (not just cardboard as before). The blades inside are single wrap without glue. The production date printed on the tuck is 05/23, i.e. May of this year.

I am now 99% sure that PPI is no more.

UPDATE:
Just stopped by a drugstore that carries Gillette Platinum. I am sad to inform you that these blades are also now MADE IN CHINA. The new packaging is a plastic blister on a card (not just cardboard as before). The blades inside are single wrap without glue. The production date printed on the tuck is 05/23, i.e. May of this year.

Finally.
Have been waiting for them for 5 months.

Why? Do you think they will be better than the PPI-made Platinums? I'm skeptical. The only positive thing about them is the absence of glue.
"Better" or "worse" with blades is 100% subjective.
As is your perception that the blades from Gillette India and Gillette Shanghai are worse than those from PPI.

Since it is a personal preference, I cannot say which I will like more (and I haven't even tried the Chinese ones). Even if I like the Russian made ones more, I wouldn't worry with my huge stash of them. :c2:

"Better" or "worse" with blades is 100% subjective.
As is your perception that the blades from Gillette India and Gillette Shanghai are worse than those from PPI.

:c2:
True, and I'm one of the hundreds of people that happened to like PPI blades a lot. So, purely subjectively, I'm not that happy.
Given the current political situation, pulling out of Russia is 100 % the right thing to do, and I support it. This however, doesn't mean that we will have access to more and/or better quality blades from now on.

UPDATE:

That is the same date all the KCG blades at my local Walmart sport.

5-23, a date that will live on in infamy!

Why? Do you think they will be better than the PPI-made Platinums? I'm skeptical. The only positive thing about them is the absence of glue.
@ivan_101 is right. The choice wasn't between PPI platinums and Chinese platinums, the choice was between Chinese platinums and discontinuation of the line. I'd take a Chinese platinum over nothing any day of the week.

China can make anything to any degree of quality, including the very high end. The limiting factor isn't China, it's the spec that the corporate customer asks for. If a company asks a Chinese factory to make something on the cheap, they'll get it.

I really liked the King C's PPI's and have stocked up on PPI's, I might even get more as they are still readily available but I am good for now I think. :001_smile

Maybe Gillette is finally giving in due to political pressure, or perhaps PPI can no longer source raw materials.

Anyone know where the blade steel ribbon they use to make the blades comes from? Is PPI able to import it due to current political crisis?
Supposedly Gillette was having issues getting money in and out of Russia forcing the production move. People were saying "Sure it's Russia production, but the profits come back to USA". Well I guess that 2nd part was becoming hard to do.

Thanks for all the information CJB3. That stinks. The King C's (Made in Russia) where amongst my favorite blades to use and the blades you like, I like as well, I have not used a GSB the but the as a reference, the Russian-made Wizamets, Gillette Platinums (I have really taken a liking to the Light Blue Plantiums, like them alot, sharp and smooth for me) and Japanese-made Feathers and KAIs are amongst my favorite blades so yea that tells me what I need to know.

I hope the Indian made blades of Gillette will be better, its why I stocked up on the Russian made blades (may add some more of the other blades I haven't tried yet) just to make sure in case the Indian made ones are not very good, we shall see.
Will not buy

Based on my experience with the KCGs, I won’t be buying Chinese Gillette Platinums. I’m not especially tied to blades made in Russia. PPI does (or did) make excellent blades. Indian blades are also good, IMO.

Traveled by air this week so had to pick up a package of KCG blades at the local Walgreens and they were MIC with the 5/23 date code. Used them for 6 back to back shaves with my KCG razor and was pleasantly surprised with top notch performace. I'm pretty curious if there is a difference - I have a few tucks of PPI KCG's and will do a blind comparison with multiple blades and report back with the results.

Top Bottom