What's new

2023 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Year of The Prisoner

Hi,

I can see that. Shaving is not a hobby for me. It is a daily necessity or I risk death. SCBA masks don't seal on whiskers.

All that said, I did follow the bunny there for a while as a result of B&B. Exposure to many things all touted as being Great. And, the bad part is, most were! :p

I have the old Ham Radio hobby to spend money on. ;)

Stan
I like beards but could not have one for 17 years due to my job. I had to wear a full face respirator frequently and a scba on a couple of occasions. New job then grew a beard. Then covid and had to shave to accommodate a n95. Managed to keep a goatie. Got bit by the shaving bunny just a little, but didn't want it to get out of hand.

As I mentioned in another thread, I have been following along since the beginning of this thread. NOT IN. Since the show is mentioned above, I just want to say that it deeply disturbed me and took me to dark places. And I can't stop watching episodes, like a nightmare that you can't wake up from! I keep telling myself that the show is a product of it's time, but man that feeling of being trapped is real. I never watch TV because I can't watch things passively.

Many happy returns may be the most disturbing, but calmest episode so far. It's really only disturbing thinking about it afterwards unlike some of the episodes and I actually like Mrs. Butterworth, I would gladly let her take care of me. I think overall, the show is supposed to be both internal and real at the same time. As one commenter put it: a weird acid trip.
Yes, the show is definitely a reflection of 60s pop culture. The village: the conformity of society, most people never questioning their “imprisonment” (conformity to expectations) or why they’re there, or if other possibilities exist for them. Agent 6: tried to drop out (resign) from the military industrial complex, and they keep shoving him back into the village until he will concede to conform, and declare his loyalty to the system. Most times he rebels against the system, pushes back, questions everything. At other times they almost seem to succeed at getting him to conform. They get him to run for office. Have him insist he is number six (contrary to the opening sequences, I am not a number I am a free man assertion) when faced with an imposter, etc. The feeling of being trapped is exactly what the show is trying to produce, at least I think so.

To tell you the truth, looking for these allusions to 60s culture is the main thing that keeps me interested. I was a part of the whole thing, it’s interesting to identify where I have changed where I am the same.
Be seeing you 😉

Synthetic Sundays!!!
STILL IN GRUME, GRUYERE and 365 Shaves, day 22

PXL_20230121_175516236.jpg

Timeless Ti .68
Gillette Platinum (7)
B&M Nordost Smoked Orange
Omego Evo 2.o

Hey Gents
This photo was taken yesterday as I usually plan and photo a day ahead.
After seeing Guido, @JAHE use this soap last week, I just had to work it into the rotation today. 🍻
It is also Synthetic Sundays.
My Feather DX is suppose to arrive in the mail tomorrow.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Rewriting my exception formally.
1. The Rabbit
2. KQY61 - No Exception
3. sjblon - No Exception
4. Tillerman - No Exception
5. Noodles - A/S
6. Patrick McGoohan - Always Exceptional
7. VerbaVolant - No Exception
8. bjm - Exception: razor handle
9. elmo_koffman - exception: blades
10. Jim99 - Exception: aftershave
11. Pepin - exception vintage razor
12. gdawg55 - Athena Razor
13. La Malice - Shaving bowl
14. 02FLHTCI- No Exception
15. DEaficianado - razor handle
16. DougK - no exception
17. wmadoty - No Exception
18. Sandorfi - Exception Vintage Gillette new
19. ewk - NO EXCEPTION
20. Crisp Rat - no exception
21. Esetter - no exception
22. Chef455 - Exception Lucky Tiger if Supply Runs Out
23. JeffJ - No Exception
24. EB Newfarm No Exception
25. JWCowboy No Exception
26. Trollky - tube of Proraso cream
27. MaineYooper - vintage razor
28. (Porkins). CzechCzar - exception TBD
29. awk_m4 - No Exception
30. Balin - "The Duke" Exception - Shaving brush
31. JAHE - Exception - modern razor
32. Sotiris_A - No exception
33. Tjsgarden-Exception- razor
34. Contact_vs_Feedback - Vintage razor
35. KW Driver - Exception - Linseed oil/sealers for brush repairs.
36. Cantujm -Exception- Wolfman Razor
37. Bobbyb
38. ByDoms - No exception
39. Ruva - razor
40. Jamesearthdrum - Geo Trumper Coral Skin Tonic
41. cryhavoc - shaving brush
42. T.Orso - witch hazel
43. Heron - shave soap
44. Guido75 - exception balm
45. Whisky - No Exception
46. Doc4 ... exceptions are for wimps
47. linty1 - no exceptions
48. Alum Ladd - Nivea post shave balm
49. JKaboom - LEA 3in1
50. Berwick12
51. Chandu - No Exception
52. kjbarth - no exception
53. Markdad2 - No exception
54. Fred D - No exception
55. bartje-p - Blackbird (regular) SS plate and balm if it runs out (have 2 spares)
56. LJBraaten (exception: Vintage Razor)
57. sirplatypus (exception: blades)

linty1

My wallet cries.
B16962BB-8880-4181-B134-4E70488BC09D.jpeg

A shave Sunday night before the work week. Connaught jade/Gillette Super/Silver blue blades and Gillette shave gel. I seem to be breaking out a bit, didn't notice it underneath the growth. Didn't nick anything, but will let it run its course for a bit. Nearing the end of this little tube of shave gel.

Still in.

Date
365 days of shaving23/365 (100%)
GRUYERE23/365 (100%)
GRUME January23/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participationsJanuary Shave Yahtzee (here)

Passes2.5
WXTGN-S cheeks and neck
XWTGL:W-E
R:E-W
Neck: S-N
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41London Bridge vintage (3)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splashHaslinger Sandelholz
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8.5/10 (~15 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)
7/10 (slightly harsh and tugging)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still in! Imagine @sirplatypus correcting his exception with post number 666 - I hope for him that’s the only exception!

Today’s shave is for a friend and a motherly smile. Sometimes life throws you a curve ball to test your resilience. And after a shave you can look the Tiger straight in the eyes and roar back as hard as you can. All we are is change (John Overdurf).

A very effective and efficient Shave ensued with the razor and blade combination working in unison. Fine shave with great results.

More notes can be found here.

Enjoy your shaves!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I always do a search to see if I can find an answer before posting, and this one returns too many hits to easily find a succinct definition when I am feeling a little hungry and lazy on a Saturday evening, especially after sitting a spell with a with a certain "Kentucky Gentleman". ;)

For the benefit and edification of those of us Gruyere Rookies, what is treewhaling?
This post, and those on the several following pages, is what defined treewhaling.

Still in!

With a Voskhod, 20 shaves are almost an attempted suicide a sign of leather skin 😉

With a Voskhod, starting from shave no. 03 I'd need an additional shaving equipment (as pictured...)
View attachment 1593022

Kudos! @wmadoty

The shaves for the last week or so have kind of pulled some whiskers but they were still getting cut so I did not change. The tugging is bad enough now that I will switch. I think I have an Astra in another razor with only a few uses. I am not really a fan of Russian blades; they work but they are not my favorites. I have a great many of them so I will use them until they are gone.

Once all the Russian blades are gone, I will pick one blade and just stick with that brand. Yea, I am not really believing that either.

The shaves for the last week or so have kind of pulled some whiskers but they were still getting cut so I did not change. The tugging is bad enough now that I will switch. I think I have an Astra in another razor with only a few uses. I am not really a fan of Russian blades; they work but they are not my favorites. I have a great many of them so I will use them until they are gone.

Once all the Russian blades are gone, I will pick one blade and just stick with that brand. Yea, I am not really believing that either.
Sticking to one blade brand which pairs well with your face (with just one or with several razors) makes perfectly sense to me. I'm a sucker for variety but if I had to fix one item in my shave line up I would pick the blade.

Which is your preferred blade brand?

Last edited:
THE FEATHER DX STRAIGHT RAZOR IS IN THE HOUSE

PXL_20230123_194902963.jpg

OFFICIAL NOTICE:
The Feather razor was my GRUYERE exception for the year and I am comfortable with that going forward.

Feather DX
Artist Club Pro blade (1)
Muhle XL STF
MdC Rose

Still In GRUME, GRUYERE and 365 Shaves 2023
also Muhle and MdC Monday

First, the photo shows a darkened area on the blade end and that is the camera's doings. The razor is in beautiful mint condition and the dark spot is not actually on the razor. A special shout-out to our fellow B&Ber @Kealon7 for an excellent razor, fast shipping and a very good price.

This was my first "complete" straight edge shave. I feel no irritation and the results were good-CCS. The Kamisori handle was a good choice for me. IMHO, this is a much better razor than the shavettes that use half of a DE blade.

I just had a secret meeting with #...well, someone in the village and he...or she knows a way off the island. Should I trust them???

Please take care of yourself and each other...Onward!

I am not a number, I am JOHN!

Still in, hardly looking at stuff these days! I’ve gone from looking at the Bay 10-15 times a day to about 5 times a month. I decided not to be on a mission for that special razor, maybe I’ll chance upon it, maybe I’ll like the price, maybe I’ll buy it.
Congratulations to @tjsgarden for beginning to master the big blade. One thing I learned from watching, if I ever (ha!) decide to use a straight razor, I’ll skip the training wheels (shavette)!
Another DFS++ as I have been adjusting my technique to not only light pressure, but slow, almost one whisker at a time. Right now my blade is set to reach 200 by month’s end, never dreamed I’d be even halfway here!
Many Happy Returns!

Top Bottom