What's new

Fat Friday

This week for Fat Friday I used my MWF and my blue paua shell S.K. Colling straight razor. I used an APSHAVECO G5C brush to build a wonderfully thick lather. I had a great shave. I think on Sunday I'm going to try my Rudy Vey Muhle STF brush. it is softer, but the MWF is well broken in.

For Fat Friday before Christmas, I got out my 1946-49 Gold Fat Handle Gillette Tech that I restored. I took my Rudy Vey brush and accidentally made too much lather with the MFW. It was everywhere! Hahaha! It was like overloading a washing machine with soap and it spills out all over the place. I got a great shave, near BBS. I used no aftershave, just some Thayer's witch hazel. The Fat was good enough.

Got in my Fat Friday shave. Wonderful all around.

tempImageu8g659.jpg

Looking forward to FAT Friday tomorrow. Good soap for breaking in my new Zenith boar.
You are in for a treat. The Zenith boar knots work amazingly well with MWF. I use a Razorock Blondie Boar that is a rebranded Zenith 80N. Place my dry MWF puck in a 4" deep container where, after soaking the brush in warm water for a couple of minutes, I load/build protolather right on the dry puck for a minute or so and then face lather. Pulls about 2 grams off the puck so I typicall need to add small amounts of water while face lathering to get the ideal consistency and slickness for a nice luxurious shave.

Pictures of the set up below. Enjoy!

P.S. I'll be in for FAT Friday tomorrow.

You are in for a treat. The Zenith boar knots work amazingly well with MWF. I use a Razorock Blondie Boar that is a rebranded Zenith 80N. Place my dry MWF puck in a 4" deep container where, after soaking the brush in warm water for a couple of minutes, I load/build protolather right on the dry puck for a minute or so and then face lather. Pulls about 2 grams off the puck so I typicall need to add small amounts of water while face lathering to get the ideal consistency and slickness for a nice luxurious shave.

Pictures of the set up below. Enjoy!

P.S. I'll be in for FAT Friday tomorrow.

Nice set up and great looking lather.

I have my MFW in the ceramic bowl. I just got a Zenith B29 and have used it a couple of times so far...very nice brush. I've used it once with MWF and once with B&M. I got much better results with the MWF. I typically use RV 25mm STF synthetic brushes so I'm not all that familiar with using boars, but I'll get there. The B29 seems to hold A LOT of water compared to the STF. I actually had to start over with my B&M lather as I really screwed up my first try....way too much water. I think the board will work better on the hard soaps.

I also just got an Omega jade boar from Connaught as well and used it this morning with some DRH Marlborough. Great performance from this brush for its first use. It has more of a wet pig smell to it compared to the Zenith (which has no odor). I'm sure it will fade with use. I'll give this one a go with the MWF soon as well.

Nice set up and great looking lather.

I have my MFW in the ceramic bowl. I just got a Zenith B29 and have used it a couple of times so far...very nice brush. I've used it once with MWF and once with B&M. I got much better results with the MWF. I typically use RV 25mm STF synthetic brushes so I'm not all that familiar with using boars, but I'll get there. The B29 seems to hold A LOT of water compared to the STF. I actually had to start over with my B&M lather as I really screwed up my first try....way too much water. I think the board will work better on the hard soaps.

I also just got an Omega jade boar from Connaught as well and used it this morning with some DRH Marlborough. Great performance from this brush for its first use. It has more of a wet pig smell to it compared to the Zenith (which has no odor). I'm sure it will fade with use. I'll give this one a go with the MWF soon as well.
Thank you. Just saw a picture of the B29 with the Blue Resin handle it looks great! Slightly shorter loft than my 80N should be a bit scritchier (if this is a word) and even more effective with MWF. You are right that these boars hold a lot more water than the synthetics and also pull a lot more soap. Definitely best for hard soaps. Enjoy, you should get a lot of great use from this brush.

Date
365 days of shaving6/365
(100%)
GRUYERE6/365 (100%)
GRUME January6/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participationsShave Yahtzee (here)

Passes3
WXTG (2)
C: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)
N: Gillette Slant (NE-SW)
ATG
C: Straight (S-N)
N: Slanted (SW-NE)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Matador Deluxe with Razorine 72 handle
Personna Red (7)Omega Roma Capitolina
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS) and Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
7/10 (~25 minutes)9.5/10 (tiny weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Shave Yahtzee came up with the combination of the Matador razor and Personna blade.

The combination was smooth and comfortable with effortless glide across my face and neck aided by an excellent lather from the Fat.

The blade performed really well and I wasn’t actually expecting that. So far Reds have been more in the 5-6 range, but I feel this blade has some mileage left.
Further details can be found here.

Enjoy your shave.

Top Bottom