What's new

Fat Friday

Had my Fat Friday shave earlier:
Razor: Weishi Long Handle
Blade: Derby Extra shave #6
Soap: MWF
Brush: Razorock Blondie/Zenith 80N 26mm knot

Excellent 10/10 BBS 2+ pass shave with plenty of excellent MWF lather. Soaked the brush in warm water for a couple of minutes prior to loading. Managed to reduce surplus lather a bit by reducing loading/on-the-puck proto lather generation time from around a minute to 45 seconds. Will be interesting to see how much soap was pulled from the puck when weighed after drying. Will try a synthetic brush for my next MWF shave.

Date
365 days of shaving12/365 (100%)
GRUYERE12/365 (100%)
GRUME January12/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participationsJanuary Shave Yahtzee (here)

Passes3
WTGC: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)
N: Gillette Slant (NW-SE in a N-S motion)
WXTG
C: Mirrored Gillette Slide (NW-SE in a NE-SW motion)
N: Mirrored Gillette Slant (NE-SW in a S-N motion)
ATG
C: Mostly straight/Slanted (S-N)
N: Slanted (SW-NE)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Swedish SwingEddison (2)Omega Super Badger
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
MWF
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
7/10 (~25 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS+/BBS-)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

The Swedish Swing is my latest acquisition from the last day of December. I finally jumped at the opportunity of having one after Jack Goossen planted the mental seed for it. And when Jack says something is good it is, because he knows the shaving trade and he is miles in front of me.

Shave Yahtzee provided the third Eddison blade which is a very fine blade in my book. The combination is a shaving laser. After the first pass I had DFS cheeks. I hesitated to do a two pass shave, but I like the combination and I want to minimise irritation. The passes and blissfully smooth.

Still dialling in how to best use the Fat. I got a nice lather and feel very smooth post shave, but I also had the feeling that the lather was thinner then I am used to and some how I experienced less glide.

A very fine addition to the collection and again an example of a razor you could shave with daily and need nothing else to get excellent results.

More details can be found here.

Enjoy your shave today!

Date
365 days of shaving12/365 (100%)
GRUYERE12/365 (100%)
GRUME January12/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3
WTGC: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)
N: Gillette Slant (NW-SE in a N-S motion)
WXTG
C: Mirrored Gillette Slide (NW-SE in a NE-SW motion)
N: Mirrored Gillette Slant (NE-SW in a S-N motion)
ATG
C: Mostly straight/Slanted (S-N)
N: Slanted (SW-NE)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Swedish SwingEddison (2)Omega Super Badger
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
MWF
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
7/10 (~25 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS+/BBS-)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

The Swedish Swing is my latest acquisition from the last day of December. I finally jumped at the opportunity of having one after Jack Goossen planted the mental seed for it. And when Jack says something is good it is, because he knows the shaving trade and he is miles in front of me.

Shave Yahtzee provided the third Eddison blade which is a very fine blade in my book. The combination is a shaving laser. After the first pass I had DFS cheeks. I hesitated to do a two pass shave, but I like the combination and I want to minimise irritation. The passes and blissfully smooth.

Still dialling in how to best use the Fat. I got a nice lather and feel very smooth post shave, but I also had the feeling that the lather was thinner then I am used to and some how I experienced less glide.

A very fine addition to the collection and again an example of a razor you could shave with daily and need nothing else to get excellent results.

More details can be found here.

Enjoy your shave today!
Tell me more about that Swedish Swing razor.....never heard of it, but I looks like an awesome razor.

Tell me more about that Swedish Swing razor.....never heard of it, but I looks like an awesome razor.
I have a whole story for you right here:

Cheers,

Guido

I have a whole story for you right here:

Cheers,

Guido
Thanks....very nice write up. Sounds like you have a great razor there.

Date
365 days of shaving20/365 (100%)
GRUYERE20/365 (100%)
GRUME January20/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes2.5
WXTGN-S cheeks and neck
XWTGL:W-E
R:E-W
Neck: S-N
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Fatip Special EditionFeather (4)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splashMWF
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9.5/10 (~15 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

I Yahtzee’d a Feather in my Fatip this morning a combination I had not tried before (at least not that I am aware of at the moment).

I continued my streak of short strokes and the standard directional pattern. That worked out very well again today. Two passes and ATG on the cheeks and I was pleasantly smooth again.

The Fat was soft and smooth after starting out a little thin and wet. Nice post shave feel after a little stingy feeling post shave yesterday (maybe the shave yesterday was really close).

Great way to start the Friday!

Enjoy your shaves!

Fat Friday January 20

Fatip Open Comb Slant
Gillette Rubie (3)
Shavemac Silvertip Bulb 22mm
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Floid The Genuine

IMG-5005_DSC_5005 (2).JPG

FAT Friday 1/20

Really nice shave today with the FAT. Loaded a bit longer today and had a wealth of hearty, fluffy lather. My new Omega Jade is breaking in nicely and gobbles up the FAT with no issues. Not many split ends yet, but it already feels really nice on my skin.

Pulled out the Lupo 95 today. Don't use this one very much but it does provide a really nice shave. Finished off my shave with some PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum Star Jelly....nice.

Happy Friday!!

tempImageNNNxcC.jpg

Date
365 days of shaving27/365 (100%)
GRUYERE27/365 (100%)
GRUME January27/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participations-

Passes2.5
WXTGN-S cheeks and neck
XWTGL:W-E
R:E-W
Neck: S-N
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Razorine FlatboyGillette Black (4?)Omega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splashMitchell’s Wool Fat
Mostly bowl lathered
Cold splash
Floïd (AS) and Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8.5/10 (~15 minutes)7/10 (one nick)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (BBS-)
8/10 (smooth with harsher ending)

Notes to today’s shave:

It has been too long in my mind that I have used this fine Italian. I love the audio feedback and the effectiveness.

The end result was a very nice and smooth face by the way so I am not overly complaining. And I have had less than stellar experiences with the Flatboy so today was a good day as Ice Cube would say.

I made sure I loaded heavy on the Fat with my lather hogging Omega boar. MWF never disappoints on lather.

A fine start of the Friday in my book.

More detailed notes can be found in my journal here.

Enjoy your shave!

Today, I was rushing. I had to go to physio very early, so I used a DE89 with a Super Nacet blade, The Fat, and a Yaqi 30mm Barber Pole brush. The shave was as good as it sounds, even rushing through it. The lather was rather thick, so I added a bit a water while on my face and quickly got the consistency that I like.

27/1/23
IMG_20230127_130824.jpg

I've been using the Fat for a while now, but I've only started bowl lathering it this year. It has a reputation for being tricky to lather and needing a lot of soap to get going but I've found bowl lathering with a synth, loading for a few seconds then taking my time to build the lather yields a truly fantastic lather.

Nonetheless, a great shave and have a good start to the weekend gents.

27/1/23View attachment 1595344

I've been using the Fat for a while now, but I've only started bowl lathering it this year. It has a reputation for being tricky to lather and needing a lot of soap to get going but I've found bowl lathering with a synth, loading for a few seconds then taking my time to build the lather yields a truly fantastic lather.

Nonetheless, a great shave and have a good start to the weekend gents.
Regular NEW or a Flat Bottom? Can’t fully tell.

Enjoy!

Guido

Top Bottom