What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

lol!! oops. Just ran right off the deck of the ship there. Lets try that again.

Happy Birthday Guido's LOTH!

Happy Keanu Reeves GIF by Morphin

GUIDO!!

View attachment 1582523

Thank you SO SO MUCH my friend!

I hope everyone can take a moment to read the story behind these gifts and revel in @Guido75's unbelievable generosity and thoughtfulness!!

I hope you have an AMAZING 2023, I suspect the Karma payback for you this year is going to be huge!
You are most welcome my friend. B&B is an amazing place and it was/is my pleasure to share some of that with you.

And thank you for your kind words.

Enjoy your new gear!

Guido

Date
365 days of shaving4/365
(100%)
GRUYERE4/365 (100%)
GRUME January4/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participationsShave Yahtzee (here)

Passes3
WXTG (2)
C: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)
N: Gillette Slant (NE-SW)
ATG
C: Straight (S-N)
N: Slanted (SW-NE)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette EFBT and Lasta Blue handle
Dorco Titan (12)Simpson T3
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Mike’s Natural Barbershop
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS and Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20-25 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Another Shave Yahtzee suggestion pairing a favourite with a favourite blade. Last time I used this blade it still had some mileage left. And now after the shave I retired the blade. So very comfortable and smooth, but less sharp resulting in much more buffing than I normally do.

The Tech is an excellent razor and very capable while maintaining smoothness. I was helped by yesterday’s shave as there was less stubble to remove (at least I think so).

Technique pretty much the same as yesterday with more buffing. And the second pass I might call now freestyle. Started with a Gillette Slide phasing into a slanted/oblique stroke. Did the job. Some hairs left under the chin.

Lather was too runny today as I forgot to shake out the brush. I did not reset and just rolled with the punches to see how I could fix it. I partially succeeded and the lather was still slick and nourishing, just a lot less consistent and whipped than I am used to. The soap itself is excellent. I really love it and the scent! Wow! Music to my nostrils.

Nice start of the day!

Date
365 days of shaving4/365
(100%)
GRUYERE4/365 (100%)
GRUME January4/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)
ATG

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette EFBT and Lasta Blue handle
Dorco Titan (12)Simpson T3
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS and Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20-25 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Another Shave Yahtzee suggestion pairing a favourite with a favourite blade. Last time I used this blade it still had some mileage left. And now after the shave I retired the blade. So very comfortable and smooth, but less sharp resulting in much more buffing than I normally do.

The Tech is an excellent razor and very capable while maintaining smoothness. I was helped by yesterday’s shave as there was less stubble to remove (at least I think so).

Technique pretty much the same as yesterday with more buffing. And the second pass I might call now freestyle. Started with a Gillette Slide phasing into a slanted/oblique stroke. Did the job. Some hairs left under the chin.

Lather was too runny today as I forgot to shake out the brush. I did not reset and just rolled with the punches to see how I could fix it. I partially succeeded and the lather was still slick and nourishing, just a lot less consistent and whipped than I am used to. The soap itself is excellent. I really love it and the scent! Wow! Music to my nostrils.

Nice start of the day!
Guido, is that a new soap for you sir? I see on the container made in Portland.

Guido, is that a new soap for you sir? I see on the container made in Portland.
Hi Butch,

Yes it is and it is wonderful stuff. I can highly recommend it even though I had only two shaves. You are on the right side of the ocean to mail order these as shipping is only to the US.

Guido

Date
365 days of shaving5/365
(100%)
GRUYERE5/365 (100%)
GRUME January5/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)
ATG

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCB
London Bridge (1)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS) and Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20-25 minutes)9/10 (two small weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Alternating between the rest of my collection and my favourite razor again. Using Yahtzee I paired it with a London Bridge kindly donated by the eminent @lasta. Now I thought these were from China, but to my surprise these were made in England and so are the vintage 1980s version!

I skipped my usual preshave cream and used Mike’s for that purpose as well. One because I think it a great soap capable of such performance and I want to see if I can do without the preshave or not. So far in this journey the answer has been negative, but maybe my technique has improved. It worked as long as I load Mike’s heavier than I usually do. Today’s brush seemed kind of small for the task (21mm) but still performed adequately well. Post shave no irritation or redness so Mike’s is nourishing my skin again. I also keep coming back to the scent. I love it.

The blade performed well. Smooth and comfortable. Two weepers during ATG most likely due to too much pressure from the operator. Effective blade as well. SAS with the first pass and CCS/DFS- on the second. The third pass brought home the bacon with marble cheeks and smoothness in other places. Stray hairs here and there in the upper lip area.

I seem to be having challenges in getting my jaw line smooth lately. No idea why so I need to revisit my strategy for those areas apparently.

Enjoy your shave today!

Top Bottom