Date
365 days of shaving5/365
(100%)
GRUYERE5/365 (100%)
GRUME January5/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participationsShave Yahtzee (here)

Passes3
WXTG (2)
C: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)
N: Gillette Slant (NE-SW)
ATG
C: Straight (S-N)
N: Slanted (SW-NE)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCB
London Bridge (1)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Mike’s Natural Barbershop
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS) and Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20-25 minutes)9/10 (two small weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Alternating between the rest of my collection and my favourite razor again. Using Yahtzee I paired it with a London Bridge kindly donated by the eminent @lasta. Now I thought these were from China, but to my surprise these were made in England and so are the vintage 1980s version!

I skipped my usual preshave cream and used Mike’s for that purpose as well. One because I think it a great soap capable of such performance and I want to see if I can do without the preshave or not. So far in this journey the answer has been negative, but maybe my technique has improved. It worked as long as I load Mike’s heavier than I usually do. Today’s brush seemed kind of small for the task (21mm) but still performed adequately well. Post shave no irritation or redness so Mike’s is nourishing my skin again. I also keep coming back to the scent. I love it.

The blade performed well. Smooth and comfortable. Two weepers during ATG most likely due to too much pressure from the operator. Effective blade as well. SAS with the first pass and CCS/DFS- on the second. The third pass brought home the bacon with marble cheeks and smoothness in other places. Stray hairs here and there in the upper lip area.

I seem to be having challenges in getting my jaw line smooth lately. No idea why so I need to revisit my strategy for those areas apparently.

Enjoy your shave today!
Hey Guido,

I'm glad you like the London Bridge. They do seem to be popular with the vintage crowd. I find them smooth, but not quite sharp enough for my liking. Maybe the mild blade + aggressive razor thing is real? I'll give them another chance haha.

Hey Guido,

I'm glad you like the London Bridge. They do seem to be popular with the vintage crowd. I find them smooth, but not quite sharp enough for my liking. Maybe the mild blade + aggressive razor thing is real? I'll give them another chance haha.
I can follow you on the sharpness. I think they were efficient enough due to the clamping and bend from the Ti95, but I think I have had sharper blades. Comfort was really good. I thought with the first stroke…hmm…I wonder, but after that initial stroke it was smooth all the way.

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
December evaluation

This will also be a year of much restraint in buying new gear. I landed the Swedish Swing, which was high on my most wanted list following raving reviews and opinions from Jack. And I do consider it my last purchase razor-wise. So the Green Cult will have to wait as will the Rocca, Lupos or Game Changers.

Guido, I have a list for this year as well, but I'm hoping my razors on BST sell to make that possible. I was wondering, since you listed those razors, do you have an order of preference between them. I'm sure the Green Cult 2.0 would be easier to purchase since it's manufactured in Austria and the Rocca as well, since it's from Germany. I know the RazoRock products aren't as cost effective in the Netherlands as they are in the States.

I'm just thinking in font at the end of my day.... I don't mean to be stimulating your RAD. You have a much better handle on that than I do.

This shave Yahtzee thing looks fun. I just don't have enough variety besides razors to participate it seems. But doing like a dice roll to see which razor I use seems fun.

Oh and my right jaw line is the hardest spot for me to get smoothed out. Lots of stretching and pulling if I really cared to get it BBS. It's like the grain goes every direction along there for me.

Guido, I have a list for this year as well, but I'm hoping my razors on BST sell to make that possible. I was wondering, since you listed those razors, do you have an order of preference between them. I'm sure the Green Cult 2.0 would be easier to purchase since it's manufactured in Austria and the Rocca as well, since it's from Germany. I know the RazoRock products aren't as cost effective in the Netherlands as they are in the States.

I'm just thinking in font at the end of my day.... I don't mean to be stimulating your RAD. You have a much better handle on that than I do.
That is actually a very good question Kim and the answer is yes and no. My wish list bod as I go along so it’s pretty much in order of recording. The earlier that is the higher it’s on my list you could say, but that’s not entirely true. I do prune my list and I believe I have even crossed the Rocca off of the list - as I see little need in its performing relative to other razors I have (actually that goes for a lot of razors on my list).

So my cherry picking is more based on my gut feel and I gauge how badly I want the razor or not. If I find I am researching it (too) often or looking at a second hand ad (too) I take that as a signal from my unconscious mind.

The Swing was one of those moments. I have looked at it for about a year with nothing than curiosity to show for it and Jack Goossen’s (who I hold in high esteem) voice in my head that I really need to try one. I am a quirky guy though, because he said the same thing about the GC1 and I haven’t jumped on that bandwagon yet (did a very fair amount of research yes and I know how to secure a GC1, but something about the exposure is holding me back as well as that it shares similarities with my Ti95 in terms of gap and exposure so again less need).

A for the buying frenzy - I could get all the razors I want in a heartbeat which does cross my mind sometimes. Especially the Lambda’s, the GC (still), Karve CB and the like are beautiful razors in their own right. I got PIFfed some of the most amazing razors, that helps! And being in GRUYERE at the moment helps as well (Truth be told it was very quiet until I saw your BST! 😅).

To date however what has impacted my RAD more than anything is my RRA - Razor Rotation Anxiety. I really dislike razors sitting idle on my shelf and the more I have the bigger this issue becomes. I could sell those items, but that is the flip side of the coin: they are (up to now) great additions to the collection (I don’t have duplicates except maybe for one NEW). So it is not out less appraised against that: an I willing to increase my anxiety to get the razor? (see told you I was quirky). The only thing I have to do at times is fight the ‘damn the torpedo’s-mind’ that switched on the buying craze.

Bottom line: my list is longer than my anxiety can handle. And with some exceptions that kind of keeps things at bay at the moment.

Cheers,

Guido

Oh and my right jaw line is the hardest spot for me to get smoothed out. Lots of stretching and pulling if I really cared to get it BBS. It's like the grain goes every direction along there for me.
That sounds super familiar. I know how it grows out but still only a handful of razors paired with the right blade seem to be able to tackle it. And it has something to do with the right reduction stroke per pass. That’s what I am currently researching.
But doing like a dice roll to see which razor I use seems fun.
That’s three main reason I ‘signed up’ a little bit of randomness to get the juices flowing. You only need a couple of razors to get things going.
enough variety besides razors
You might have more than you think. Just come up with six items per category or have double entries per category if you have less. That’s how we do it. Check out the thread’s first few posts where we were discussing ground rules (which makes it sound more strict than it really is). We start on 8 January so join in for some extra fun!

Guido

Date
365 days of shaving6/365
(100%)
GRUYERE6/365 (100%)
GRUME January6/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)
ATG

Razor
Blade
Brush
Matador Deluxe with Razorine 72 handle
Personna Red (7)Omega Roma Capitolina
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash

Efficiency
Quality
7/10 (~25 minutes)9.5/10 (tiny weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Shave Yahtzee came up with the combination of the Matador razor and Personna blade. Ordinarily I would use one of my Fatips on Friday. I polished the Matador with a light polish cream yesterday and it brought back some of the mirror shine. Very happy with that.

The combination was smooth and comfortable with effortless glide across my face and neck aided by an excellent lather from the Fat. I took more time face lathering today to better understand the behaviour of this soap. The post shave feel is still amazing - a little more sting than before, but comforting.

The blade performed really well and I wasn’t actually expecting that. So far Reds have been more in the 5-6 range, but I feel this blade has some mileage left.

Paid more attention to my jaw line with shorter strokes (bordering on buffing) and buffing strokes in both directions. I think it helped especially in the right side. With a sharper blade that might work even better. Luck had it that the Ti95 is up with a fresh Eddison blade tomorrow.

Enjoy your shave.

Date
365 days of shaving6/365
(100%)
GRUYERE6/365 (100%)
GRUME January6/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)
ATG

Razor
Blade
Brush
Matador Deluxe with Razorine 72 handle
Personna Red (7)Omega Roma Capitolina
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash

Efficiency
Quality
7/10 (~25 minutes)9.5/10 (tiny weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Shave Yahtzee came up with the combination of the Matador razor and Personna blade. Ordinarily I would use one of my Fatips on Friday. I polished the Matador with a light polish cream yesterday and it brought back some of the mirror shine. Very happy with that.

The combination was smooth and comfortable with effortless glide across my face and neck aided by an excellent lather from the Fat. I took more time face lathering today to better understand the behaviour of this soap. The post shave feel is still amazing - a little more sting than before, but comforting.

The blade performed really well and I wasn’t actually expecting that. So far Reds have been more in the 5-6 range, but I feel this blade has some mileage left.

Paid more attention to my jaw line with shorter strokes (bordering on buffing) and buffing strokes in both directions. I think it helped especially in the right side. With a sharper blade that might work even better. Luck had it that the Ti95 is up with a fresh Eddison blade tomorrow.

Enjoy your shave.
Excellent report Guido. The right side jawline is my difficult area for sure. I find the buffing technique works best, especially when going ATG and with a fresh/Sharp blade.👍😊💈

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
That is actually a very good question Kim and the answer is yes and no. My wish list bod as I go along so it’s pretty much in order of recording. The earlier that is the higher it’s on my list you could say, but that’s not entirely true. I do prune my list and I believe I have even crossed the Rocca off of the list - as I see little need in its performing relative to other razors I have (actually that goes for a lot of razors on my list).

So my cherry picking is more based on my gut feel and I gauge how badly I want the razor or not. If I find I am researching it (too) often or looking at a second hand ad (too) I take that as a signal from my unconscious mind.

The Swing was one of those moments. I have looked at it for about a year with nothing than curiosity to show for it and Jack Goossen’s (who I hold in high esteem) voice in my head that I really need to try one. I am a quirky guy though, because he said the same thing about the GC1 and I haven’t jumped on that bandwagon yet (did a very fair amount of research yes and I know how to secure a GC1, but something about the exposure is holding me back as well as that it shares similarities with my Ti95 in terms of gap and exposure so again less need).

A for the buying frenzy - I could get all the razors I want in a heartbeat which does cross my mind sometimes. Especially the Lambda’s, the GC (still), Karve CB and the like are beautiful razors in their own right. I got PIFfed some of the most amazing razors, that helps! And being in GRUYERE at the moment helps as well (Truth be told it was very quiet until I saw your BST! 😅).

To date however what has impacted my RAD more than anything is my RRA - Razor Rotation Anxiety. I really dislike razors sitting idle on my shelf and the more I have the bigger this issue becomes. I could sell those items, but that is the flip side of the coin: they are (up to now) great additions to the collection (I don’t have duplicates except maybe for one NEW). So it is not out less appraised against that: an I willing to increase my anxiety to get the razor? (see told you I was quirky). The only thing I have to do at times is fight the ‘damn the torpedo’s-mind’ that switched on the buying craze.

Bottom line: my list is longer than my anxiety can handle. And with some exceptions that kind of keeps things at bay at the moment.

Cheers,

Guido
I get your RRA, I truly do. That is one reason I put so many razors up for sale. I bought them based on choices people here for whom I have the greatest respect recommended. I bought too many too soon and felt a bit overwhelmed... having too many to try and not being able to enjoy the ones I've found to be amazing for me. I feel a sense of relaxation at the moment, knowing I'll be choosing one out of 5 razors to use this afternoon. <smile>

Date
365 days of shaving7/365
(100%)
GRUYERE7/365 (100%)
GRUME January7/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participationsJanuary Shave Yahtzee (here)

Passes3
WXTG (2)
ATG

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCB
Eddison (2)Omega Super Badger
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Lavanda
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)9.5/10 (tiny weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Slightly pressed for time today and so I was less diligent in my follow through (and a bit careless during the ATG). In these cases the Ti95 shines especially when paired with an excellent blade such as the Eddison. The simple passes and I was wonderfully smooth and soft.

I noticed that yesterday’s combination of the Matador and the Personna did a remarkable job. Even this morning I was already at SAS level and feeling quite smooth actually. Would not have guessed that from happening. I believe the Matador benefitted from the longer handle (as opposed to the Fat Handle or Lasta Handle I normally use).

Lavanda was sitting idle since the summer holidays and Shave Yahtzee proposed using it today. Excellent lather with a wonderful scent ensued (while bringing me back to the camping site). My badger has no backbone left and all it is a nice floppy lather painter.

Straightforward and efficient shave with very fine results.

Date
365 days of shaving8/365
(100%)
GRUYERE8/365 (100%)
GRUME January8/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3.5
WXTG (2)
ATG

Razor
Blade
Brush
KCGFeather (2)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Tabac
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
KCG face wash

Efficiency
Quality
7/10 (~25 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
7/10 (CCS+/DFS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Weirdest shave today. Shave Yahtzee presented my first razor and my sharpest blade. They got along, but the combination proved to be almost useless for shaving. Even after the third pass ATG still stubble in most areas?! Major buffing on cheeks and neck to get it to for me decent levels. The Feather was on its second run, supposedly the sharpest point for a Feather. Maybe the angle was off or maybe the operator had the shaving angle wrong and needs to keep working at his technique.

I was actually ready for anything but this. After 3.5 passes the result is good enough for a Sunday. One of the reasons I acquired a Fatip as second razor was the lack of efficiency I was expecting with the KCG. I had gotten good results but only after 4 passes. Today’s shave fits in that pattern.

Tabac was another suggestion of the dices and I hadn’t used it since Tabactober or maybe just one or twice. The Razorock made lather in spades and all passes were with rich slickly creamy lather. Excellent stuff! Washed away the scent with KCG Face wash as much as I could as the LOTH doesn’t like Tabac at all. My Areffa soaps arrived yesterday and she took those scents very well.

All in all an interesting shave with much to think about and skills to be further honed and improved.

Enjoy your Sunday shave!

Last edited:
Date
365 days of shaving8/365
(100%)
GRUYERE8/365 (100%)
GRUME January8/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3.5
WXTG (2)
ATG

Razor
Blade
Brush
KCGFeather (2)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Tabac
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
KCG face wash

Efficiency
Quality
7/10 (~25 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
7/10 (CCS+/DFS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Weirdest shave today. Shave Yahtzee presented my first razor and my sharpest blade. They got along, but the combination proved to be almost useless for shaving. Even after the third pass ATG still stubble in most areas?! Major buffing on cheeks and neck to get it to for me decent levels. The Feather was on its second run, supposedly the sharpest point for a Feather. Maybe the angle was off or maybe the operator had the shaving angle wrong and needs to keep working at his technique.

I was actually ready for anything but this. After 3.5 passes the result is good enough for a Sunday. One of the reasons I acquired a Fatip as second razor was the lack of efficiency I was expecting with the KCG. I had gotten good results but only after 4 passes. Today’s shave fits in that pattern.

Tabac was another suggestion of the dices and I hadn’t used it since Tabactober or maybe just one or twice. The Razorock made lather in spades and all passes were with rich slickly creamy lather. Excellent stuff! Washed away the scent with KCG Face wash as much as I could as the LOTH doesn’t like Tabac at all. My Areffa soaps arrived yesterday and she took those scents very well.

All in all an interesting shave with much to think about and skills to be further honed and improved.

Enjoy your Sunday shave!
The good thing Guido, is tomorrow will bring another shave!!!😊👍💈

Date
365 days of shaving9/365
(100%)
GRUYERE9/365 (100%)
GRUME January9/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3
WTGC: Gillette Slant (NW-SE in a N-S motion)
N: Gillette Slant (NW-SE in a N-S motion)
WXTG
C: Slanted Gillette Slide (NW-SE in a NW-SE motion)
N: Gillette Slant (NE-SW in a S-N motion)
ATG
C: Straight/Slanted (S-N and SW-NE)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41Gillette 7 o’clock black (2)Omega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
KCG face wash
Proraso Green (AS and Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)9/10 (minor weepers on the chin)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
8/10 (smooth, but some redness)

Notes to today’s shave:

Shave Yahtzee combined the Indian Gillette 7o’clocks with the R41 today. I don’t think I shaved with this combination before. And it turned out to be smooth and comfortable. The end result was a nice and smooth BBS. I could have been slightly more effective on the neck under the chin and the upper lip parts. That would have made the entire shave marble.

I changed my technique slightly in that I did a Gillette Slanted stroke WTG and then a Slanted Gillette Slide (or tilted is perhaps a better term?) on the second WXTG. I need more laps, but I had the impression that I was more effective while maintaining my efficiency. What I also added for the ATG was that for each stroke ending on my jaw line I would do a longer stroke on the jaw line (similar to an inverted L shape). That’s why my jaw line got much more strokes than usual while I avoid buffing too much to be over shaving certain areas. Seemed to work as well so bears repeating to check.

Brush and soap are outstanding today. Rich creamy lather and the brush refrained from hogging lather.

Great start of the week. Enjoy your shave!

Date
365 days of shaving10/365
(100%)
GRUYERE10/365 (100%)
GRUME January10/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3
WTGC: Gillette Slant (NW-SE in a N-S motion)
WXTG
C: Slanted Gillette Slide (NW-SE in a NW-SE motion)
N: Gillette Slant (NE-SW in a S-N motion)
ATG
C: Straight/Slanted (S-N and SW-NE)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCBDorco Titan (1)Simpson T3
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Mike’s Natural Soap Barbershop
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
KCG face wash
Proraso Green (AS and Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)9/10 (minor weepers on the chin)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
8/10 (smooth, but some redness)

Notes to today’s shave:

I am liking the surprise element more and more. Shave Yahtzee had already given me more ideas about my rotation and I am working on my February schedule. For today Shave Yahtzee combined my favourite razor with probably my favourite blade.

It has been a while since I used a fresh Titan and I kind of forgot the owner’s manual - careful on the first shave for the coating to slightly smoothen out. In combination with too much pressure in the goatee area and right cheek resulted in a couple of weepers. I think the combination can do better with the operator more alert and awake perhaps. The overall result however is smoothness all around.

The change in technique seemed to pay off while still in keeping with my beard map. And I remembered a remark @Cal (I think) has made in the past and I shave by: give your follicles time to retract again (especially with the more exfoliating razors such as the R41 and the Ti95), because straight post shave you might think you have missed a spot while after some time with aftershave and balm you are really smooth. This thinking also prevents over shaving certain areas.

I did cheat with the soap. Proraso was up, but in honour of the departure of my wife’s friend back to the US I decided to use Mike’s Barbershop she gifted to me last week. This soap is so amazing! Barbershop, but I am convinced I smelled apples this morning!

Yahtzee pulled out the T3 for today’s shave and that was of course amazing too. What a super brush this is.

All in all great shave with splendid results.

Enjoy you shave!

Date
365 days of shaving11/365
(100%)
GRUYERE11/365 (100%)
GRUME January11/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3
WTGC: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)
WXTG
C: Mirrored Gillette Slide (NE-SW)
N: Mirrored Gillette Slant (NE-SW)
ATG
C: Straight/Slanted (SW-NE in a S-N direction)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW ImprovedLondon Bridge vintage (2)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Lavanda
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Floïd's the Genuine (AS)
Executive Man (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)9/10 (weeper from yesterday)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (BBS-)
7/10 (harsher with redness)

Notes to today’s shave:

I love the efficiency and effectiveness of the Gillette NI by @lasta. The combination with this vintage London Bridge is however harsher to my skin than I anticipated resulting in redness and slight irritation on the neck. The aftershave lets me know it was a very close shave though. I feel smooth.

In terms of technique I did the first pass WXTG using the Gillette Slide and I did the second pass also WXTG but mirrored to the first pass. Jaw line was smoother than yesterday I believe.

Face lathered with Lavanda and got a good going lather with nice massaging from the synthetic brush. Just enough for the passes, but that was today’s goal anyway. I like the scent and the performance is excellent.

Gave my razor a bit of a polish yesterday and I think I got a pretty shine in return.

Top Bottom