What's new

OCtober 2022 - Let's Put the OC in OCTOBER

MMMonday, OCtober 17th 2022

Razor : Micromatic OC- Mfg 1939-41, mid to upper mid range, built to last and with good technique a person can receive some nice close shaves. I also used a RIGS spline shim for addition testing.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(7) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest razor blade to handle IMO.
Soap : Razorock XXX :001_wub:- nice unique clean scent + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Razorock Plissoft 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Used this brush a lot when I started traditional wet shaving.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock XXX AS :001_wub: with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 chin weeper=:a17: excellent shave with Gem MMOC with a Gem coated blade.
SOTD October 17 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!
Brother Ron: Nice picture! The Gem OC Micromatic was made about 1930-1941. (The Gem Clog Pruf Micromatic was made about 1941 to 1949, and the Gem Flying Wing aka the Bullet Tip was made about 1947 to 1948.

The OC is the most aggressive/effective. The Clog Pruf is medium aggression. And the Flying Wing is the mildest.

Gillette Old Type (102A thick cap)
Astra SS
Vulfix Mayfair pure badger
Stirling Nag Champa soap & aftershave

Another great shave. I need to spend more time with my other vintage open comb razors, but lately the Old Types and I have been getting along so well! Slick, efficient, two-pass shaves, with no irritation.

I’ve been alternating between the thick cap and a WWI Army thin cap, and tonight was the thick cap’s turn. I’m amazed how quickly these dialed in for me. Just, wow.

The Gillette New SC is still my desert island razor, but I could easily live with just an Old Type, too.

Attachments

• CEA42F47-C2BD-4F27-AAD7-F7C7A04D710A.jpeg
    CEA42F47-C2BD-4F27-AAD7-F7C7A04D710A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
This was going to be an OCcasional thing for me, shaved with my Gillette Old Type and New early on, I got decent shaves, not quite up to the standard of my favorite Tech. I decided to do an obligatory last shave with the New, and it blew my socks off! I see now why it used to be my favorite. It matched the tech for performance, and once I get used to the different size, weight, etc. it may exceed it. I attribute the difference to changes in technique, I have also been getting closer shaves with my tech lately. (The blade is not a variable, been using the same Feather for over 4 months.) A DFS, almost a BBS! Now I’m planning on using it for at least the rest of OCtober!
9A8ECB0E-24F5-4789-95F7-A0194D690B9B.jpeg

Last edited:
Thu 27 OC-tober
Soap
Phoenix & Beau Spitfire
Brush Spiffo Manchurian
Razor Gillette Single Ring
Blade Eddison Stainless Steel 2nd
Aftershaves Phoenix & Beau Spitfire Splash
I like this soap for its unique scent which is accentuated by the matching splash...easily whip-up into a good enough lather by the softest badger in my collection...nice!
Today, with my oldest DE paired with the smooth blade provided an excellent shave session. Truly...a blade does make a huge difference. Dolphin smooth finish!
20221027_093349.jpg

Date
365 days of shaving301/300
(100%)
GRUMEOut
OCtober23/31 (74%)
Tabactober14/31 (45%)

Passes3
WXTG(2)Gillette Slide
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
9/10 (BBS-)
9/10 (Two minor weepers)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW LC on Lasta Red handle
Gillette Platinum (4)Kox Blue Synthetic
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Haslinger Sandalholz
Proraso bowl/face lather
Cold splash
Face wash with residual lather

Notes to today’s shave:

The blade was not at its end. Wonderful and soft performance paired with the NEW LC.

I decided to return to an old favourite of mine and did two Gillette Slide passes followed up by a single ATG pass. Really nice and smooth result with practically allround BBS. @CCS was messing with my brain, because after my post routine and cleaning gear I felt some stray whiskers and the next thing I knew I was holding my razor again to get rid of them.

This Gillette Slide goes well with my beardmap. And actually is WAXTG all in one, because my pattern doesn’t necessarily match the way I do the pass. I don’t mind or care as long as the end result is there.

Haslinger performed like a charm. Rich, thick and creamy lather using the @tjsgarden tipdip brush method. Thoroughly enjoyed the face lathering.

Ready for another day! Enjoy your shaves!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip il Grosso
Blade: New Lord Platinum (3)
Brush: Omega Evo Ovale
Soap: Squadron Dutch Resistance
Aftershave: Reuzel (Splash)
034_01_17.jpg

The Fatip il Grosso and New Lord Platinums are the perfect combination of a flawless alliance. I could break out in song, "Fatip il Grosso, I love you, Fatip il Grosso I love you, and the New Lord platinum too!" :a5: Oh, Squadron Dutch Resistance is the best-scented soap in the universe! :a50:

Oct 27th:
Timeless 95 OC-SS/Crystal Super+(7th)
Soap Commander Endurance/30mm Tuxedo
Mentholated Witch Hazel (Scented OS Oil)
Old Spice Splash (Homebrew)
Soap Commander Endurance Balm
Old Spice Cologne/EDT

Another comfortable BBS shave in 2 1/2 passes, will most likely replace the blade after tomorrow's shave, to have a fresh blade for 3 days growth on Monday.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
View attachment 1546763
Fresh Nacet in the Filament this morning. My face is smooth and soft, and not even a bit of burn from the aftershave.:thumbup1:
I only got to use my Filament once, and what a lovely shave it was. My daughter took one look at it, shaved her legs with it, and I have never seen it again. She loves it. I'm gonna have to order another one. @Oliviamaynard take note.

~doug~

Top Bottom