What's new

Slippers / House shoes

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I hated that night brace. I had PF in 2014-15. I was retired, never go to doctors, and ignored the signs for far too long until a vacation where it got so bad that I couldn't leave the hotel room. By the time I went to a foot doctor, I needed multiple shots of cortisone, and 6 months of physical therapy to get back to normal. Don't ignore heel pain thinking it will go away.
I was no fan of the damn thing either, but at least it worked. I trace the origin of the problem to wearing Top Siders too often and for too long. Still have a lifetime supply of inserts, orthotics, and miles of tape from the whole ordeal.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I was no fan of the damn thing either, but at least it worked. I trace the origin of the problem to wearing Top Siders too often and for too long. Still have a lifetime supply of inserts, orthotics, and miles of tape from the whole ordeal.
You've made me think my friend.... perhaps the majority of my feet issues today are from my "retirement slippers"......

Thanks for ruining my retirement non plan!

You've made me think my friend.... perhaps the majority of my feet issues today are from my "retirement slippers"......

Thanks for ruining my retirement non plan!

Interesting observation. I've worn boots most of my life, from "Beatles boots" in the 60s, to combat boots, Herman Survivors, 511 Tactical, and many other work boots, including steel tip. I never had a foot problem until several years after I retired. I can't even blame my PF on slippers, as I didn't have any. I was mostly wearing just sweat socks around the house, except to work outside. Maybe it was the lack of arch support, or the fact we just get old and things start to fall apart.

I’m in the market for a good pair of slippers/house shoes. Not interested in the department store brands that wear out after a couple years. I want a good pair that will last a lifetime. If not a lifetime at least quite a long time. They will be daily wearers, especially during the colder months so they should be built to last. Maybe occasionally I’ll wear them outside - like to check the mail, or take the trash out, but never beyond that.

Don’t worry about price just give me some good suggestions.

Thanks!
I have two pairs of house slippers: Birkinstocks and Leather moccasins.

All Darn Tough socks are merino wool. When I started walking regularly, I wore Thor-Los. They were good and lasted around a year or so. I switched to SmartWool after a while to try merino wool and found them more comfortable, though more expensive and did not last any longer. Found out about Darn Tough while looking around the internet. Even more expensive, but so far I haven’t worn out a pair yet, so they’re worth the premium.
Jack

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
All Darn Tough socks are merino wool. When I started walking regularly, I wore Thor-Los. They were good and lasted around a year or so. I switched to SmartWool after a while to try merino wool and found them more comfortable, though more expensive and did not last any longer. Found out about Darn Tough while looking around the internet. Even more expensive, but so far I haven’t worn out a pair yet, so they’re worth the premium.
Jack

I’ve worn Darn Tough for a few years now exclusively. Never knew they were wool. Actually just got 3 new pair in last week.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
A friend just recommended Orthofeet "Asheville" slippers. Says they are the most comfortable slippers ever. About to try a pair myself, as I've totally wrecked my Haflingers. Comparable in price to Haflingers (about $100); I sure hope they last longer.

FarmerTan

A friend just recommended Orthofeet "Asheville" slippers. Says they are the most comfortable slippers ever. About to try a pair myself, as I've totally wrecked my Haflingers. Comparable in price to Haflingers (about $100); I sure hope they last longer.
Man, those look nice. BUT! They don't have a back on 'em! I'd be slipping out of them when I do my "moonwalk!"

Last edited:
I have got these Glerups made of felt and leather for years, they also have them with rubber soles

Attachments

• E2A37E20-A1E1-43B1-BC0B-E6B82A161338.jpeg
    E2A37E20-A1E1-43B1-BC0B-E6B82A161338.jpeg
    983.7 KB · Views: 9

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Man, those look nice. BUT! They don't have a back on 'em! I'd be slipping out of them when I do my "moonwalk!"
I think they offer slippers with backs, too. My friend initially ordered the backless version as he was used to such slippers.

Interestingly, I've never slipped out of my backless Haflingers. But, then, I don't do too much moonwalking either.

I didn't need slippers in our house of almost 20 years with wall-to-wall carpet throughout. Since downsizing to an apartment 2 years ago with fake wood flooring in half, I need something on my feet besides socks. I also have glass under my computer chair instead of plastic. The chair slides better, is smoother and doesn't crack, but glass is cold. My favorite slippers the past year have been My Pillow, but being retired and wearing them most of the day, the heels are wearing out. Their $140 slippers are on sale this month for $50 + shipping with promo code, so I ordered 2 pair. I normally take a 10.5 W shoe/boot and order Size 12 in the slippers. As far as the code, just do a search. They're all over the place.

I know the guy is off the wall, but my wife prefers his pillows, and I prefer his sheets and slippers.

FarmerTan

I didn't need slippers in our house of almost 20 years with wall-to-wall carpet throughout. Since downsizing to an apartment 2 years ago with fake wood flooring in half, I need something on my feet besides socks. I also have glass under my computer chair instead of plastic. The chair slides better, is smoother and doesn't crack, but glass is cold. My favorite slippers the past year have been My Pillow, but being retired and wearing them most of the day, the heels are wearing out. Their $140 slippers are on sale this month for $50 + shipping with promo code, so I ordered 2 pair. I normally take a 10.5 W shoe/boot and order Size 12 in the slippers. As far as the code, just do a search. They're all over the place.

I know the guy is off the wall, but my wife prefers his pillows, and I prefer his sheets and slippers.
Yep, his pillow is hard to beat, once I got used to packing it under my noggin and not just using it like a regular pillow.

FarmerTan

My wife's a back sleeper and loves her My Pillows. I'm a stomach and side sleeper. She says my side-sleeper pillows feel like a rock.
I had a feather pillow for years that I remember my grandma making for me. That thing WAS a rock. Had it so long it petrified! I can still remember her sewing that thing.

I hate to admit it but I wear Crocs exclusively as slippers in the house. I would never wear them in public beyond getting the mail, but they are amazingly comfortable and dirt cheap. About $25-40 a pair.

I own lots of high end boots and shoes (Alden, Red Wing, AE, Adidas Ultra Boost, etc.) but you can’t beat Crocs as slippers IMO.
Totally this. Love my Crocs. I have two pair with another on the way.

Crocs lined slippers are worn during particularly cold days here in Wisconsin. It's like wearing a blast furnace on your feet. I've worn them outside during sub-zero weather and they've kept me warm.

Typically I'll wear regular unlined Crocs though. Ugly? Yes. Fantastic functionality, comfort and utility though.

Top Bottom