What's new

Slippers / House shoes

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m in the market for a good pair of slippers/house shoes. Not interested in the department store brands that wear out after a couple years. I want a good pair that will last a lifetime. If not a lifetime at least quite a long time. They will be daily wearers, especially during the colder months so they should be built to last. Maybe occasionally I’ll wear them outside - like to check the mail, or take the trash out, but never beyond that.

Don’t worry about price just give me some good suggestions.

Thanks!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I can't help. I buy cheap, and kill 'em quick. Probably sticking to one pair all the time doesn't help.

I currently have a pair of cheap moccasins (<£15), and bought three pairs of uber cheap (£5) no-name carpet slippers. I wear them till I rot out the innards, then sling them and move on to the next. So, two in use, and two spares here. I might get a year from a pair before they start to disintegrate.

I think if I went your route, Jason, I'd have to get three pairs to swap between, to give them time to air out. Occasionally, I'll forego the slippers, and wear my decks, sandals, or cupsole trainers instead. If I didn't, I might not get 6 months from a pair of slippers.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've heard that with shoes for a long time. "buy 2 pair so you can let one rest for a day". Especially if they are leather. I guess wearing the same pair of house shoes everyday would apply the same logic. They will wear out twice as fast no matter the cost.
I just don't want to buy a new pair, regardless of cost, every year.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I get years of wear from Evans opera style. They are not quite as luxurious as black velvet Church's with quilted red satin linings, but they are just as warm and very comfortable.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have a pair of Sketcher suede slip ons I use for around the house.
Softer Rubber soles that are comfortable and can be rinsed off easily if I track in some dirt from outside.
Memory foam insoles.
They are holding up well for daily wear and while not the cheapest you could go, they certainly don't break the bank, I think I paid 60 bucks for them.
Cheap enough I don't worry about getting them dirty.
20211027_110223.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Going back to your original post, my carpet slippers never make it outside, except maybe to answer the door and receive a parcel. If there's garbage to carry, milk to fetch, the deck shoes, cupsole trainers or slip ones (loafers) etc will be that day's "slippers". It tends to be slippers first, upgraded to the house shoes if I have to wander outside, and then don't bother swapping back to slippers.

While I don't swap between slippers much, I do have three pair of slip on shoes, four pair of decks, and one pair each of cupsole trainers, plimsols, and sandals. I don't drive, so anything I wouldn't venture past the end of the street in on foot, are house shoes as far as I'm concerned, but I might wear them away from home if getting a lift somewhere. The monks shoes haven't broken in to the same comfort level as the others yet, but I am working on it. :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'll post a pic of what I use. I had a pair I bought used from a Goodwill store that I had for 25+ years.

They are basically a moccasin style driving shoe. The pair I replaced them with was new old stock from the 'bay. Exact same shoe. Lol, they FINALLY have stretched out to fit like slippers.

They are Johnston and Murphy. No idea what year they were made.
Model number? 20 8163
IMG_20211027_130202322~2.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
L. L. Bean. I have a great pair of these
Wicked Good Chukkas fleece lined, $107. Almost a year of daily wear around the house and outside. Still holding up very nicely. Probably not that great on hot summer days, but 3 seasons for sure.
wickedgood.jpeg

I hate to admit it but I wear Crocs exclusively as slippers in the house. I would never wear them in public beyond getting the mail, but they are amazingly comfortable and dirt cheap. About $25-40 a pair.

I own lots of high end boots and shoes (Alden, Red Wing, AE, Adidas Ultra Boost, etc.) but you can’t beat Crocs as slippers IMO.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I hate to admit it but I wear Crocs exclusively as slippers in the house. I would never wear them in public beyond getting the mail, but they are amazingly comfortable and dirt cheap. About $25-40 a pair.

I own lots of high end boots and shoes (Alden, Red Wing, AE, Adidas Ultra Boost, etc.) but you can’t beat Crocs as slippers IMO.

With or without socks? The only plastic shoe I've ever owned was a beach or pool sandal, what I believe are commonly known as sliders. My feet tend to sweat no matter what footwear, and they became uncomfortable and icky feeling quite quickly whenever I wore them. I would occasionally wear them with socks indoors, which obviously prompted much mockery from others. It was the only way they were comfortable for me though. I've never owned crocs, but imagine they'd feel much the same on my feet, if not worse.

With or without socks? The only plastic shoe I've ever owned was a beach or pool sandal, what I believe are commonly known as sliders. My feet tend to sweat no matter what footwear, and they became uncomfortable and icky feeling quite quickly whenever I wore them. I would occasionally wear them with socks indoors, which obviously prompted much mockery from others. It was the only way they were comfortable for me though. I've never owned crocs, but imagine they'd feel much the same on my feet, if not worse.
Socks generally. Anything with a liner and my bare feet doesn’t end well. Even unlined crocs (most of mine) with bare feet will smell but you can just wash them in the laundry tub or with a hose. 👍

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

Those look good. But they have an “algae infused” pair…..:letterk1:

L. L. Bean. I have a great pair of these
Wicked Good Chukkas fleece lined, $107. Almost a year of daily wear around the house and outside. Still holding up very nicely. Probably not that great on hot summer days, but 3 seasons for sure.
View attachment 1353265

These look so nice I might end up wearing them as all day shoes! I do like the LL B. Brand.

Been wearing these from the good folks at Foamtreads for about the last 5 years in the cooler/colder months. Just bought a new pair to replace the old ones.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I spent £50 on a pair of leather Barbour slippers, a lot of money by my standards, and they were very nice indeed while they lasted, which was sadly only about one year. I now wear comfortable slip on shoes in winter and open toed sandals in summer, and keep them for use only in the home. I would not purchase expensive slippers again.

What do y’all think of the Uggs? I feel like I want leather.

View attachment 1353309
They are excellent. I have had a couple of pairs. They fit 1/2 size small IME. Oh, NEVER wear those without socks or they will quickly be your outdoor shoes or your significant other will throw them out while you arent looking. My feet rarely smell, but barefoot in that thick fleece is a very bad idea. Very comfy and well made though.

Top Bottom