What's new

Slippers / House shoes

I'm going to recommend this to the War Department. Might just get me off the "Naughty List" LOL!

I started wearing them for chronic pain in the 90’s.
The cork footbed, and the “toe ridge” really helped me reduce pain....not to mention the cork footbed conforming to your own feet.
And they can be resoled for about $40.00.
Or they do not wear them long enough fo get used to the toe clenching walk from the toe ridges that at first feels, well odd.
But in fact strengthen.
A lot of people cannot get past the stigma and look.
I have never been one of those people, to each his own.
I will say I do not drive with them or wear them out anymore, I only wear them around the house.
As soon as I am back somewhere and am going to be inside, the other shoes come off and the Birks go on.
With unfortunate recent health developments of the neuro type, they again have helped so much.
I believe I am on my 4th or 5th year since around 1994.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
after contacting Town View they suggested to tighten the laces. Wow, what an extreme DUH moment! I think that's the ticket!! I tightened the laces and they fit much better.
So when I walk my foot shifts forward in the shoe so my toes actually touch the inside front, but they don't slip of the back anymore. Actually feels a lot better!!

So I think I'll stick with the half size down. 8.5. I think a 8 would be just too tight. I mean,...you kinda want a lounge, slipper shoe to be a little loose. Def don't want it tight and uncomfortable.

So anyone that wants to order the Town View I would recommend a half size down. And yes - their customer service is amazing so far. so even if a size down doesn't fit then you can return/exchange easily.

I'm going to send back the pair that don't fit and get the correct size in the other color. So I'll have two pair and these should last me for the rest of my dadgum life!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I started wearing them for chronic pain in the 90’s.
The cork footbed, and the “toe ridge” really helped me reduce pain....not to mention the cork footbed conforming to your own feet.
And they can be resoled for about $40.00.
Or they do not wear them long enough fo get used to the toe clenching walk from the toe ridges that at first feels, well odd.
But in fact strengthen.
A lot of people cannot get past the stigma and look.
I have never been one of those people, to each his own.
I will say I do not drive with them or wear them out anymore, I only wear them around the house.
As soon as I am back somewhere and am going to be inside, the other shoes come off and the Birks go on.
With unfortunate recent health developments of the neuro type, they again have helped so much.
I believe I am on my 4th or 5th year since around 1994.
I've recently developed some Neuro pain in my feet, and the weirdest thing that has helped the most: sleeping with wool socks! It has been amazing, the improvement, year round, regardless of the weather.

Years ago when I was working extra jobs at an outfitter when I was a Paramedic we had a lot of distriutors come in to explain and train.
One was a boot fitting clinic by Phil Oren.
He said a boot/shoe maker puts all their “money” in the boot and then spends about .25 cents on the insole the boot comes with.
People always thought we were just trying to up sell them, but I got some Super Feet insoles that changed my life.
Now I always get a good set of quality after market inserts.

The second thing was on socks.
Cotton kills is the old adage in hiking/mountaineering.

This was the mid 1990’s and we were introduced to Smart Wool Merino wool socks....to this day that is all I wear, and they last for years.
Keeps feet dry from both sweat and if water makes it inside by wicking it away from the skin.
In the hot summer it seems counterintuitive but a light weight merino wool sock wicks the sweat away again helping keep the feet dry and comfortable.

I recently learned about another company that was featured on the nightly news because they make donations to a worthy cause. I ordered a pair from Darn Tough Vermont socks.
So far they are on par with the Smart Wool and the Wigwam.
A little pricey for a pair, but you will get your returns in comfort, warmth and longevity.
M

Darn Tough Vermont’s resources for donations and sponsorships are centered around communities in Vermont. We support groups that focus on our state's youth, veterans, homeless and food scarcity.

I got out my winter slippers this week, since my wife has the thermostat set to 62. She wanted 60, I wanted 65. We split the difference in her favor, but opens a window to compensate. In my search the past couple years for a good slipper after trying 3-4 cheapo junk on amazon, I sent an inquiry to this site about sizing and style. The guy actually called me at home to discuss, and I ordered the Madison. If they get too warm with sweat socks during the day, I can switch to a thinner sock or go barefoot. I also have a pair of My (Pillow) Slippers. Not bad, but one side fits fine and the other heel is a bit loose. Weird feet - nice slipper.

FarmerTan

I got out my winter slippers this week, since my wife has the thermostat set to 62. She wanted 60, I wanted 65. We split the difference in her favor, but opens a window to compensate. In my search the past couple years for a good slipper after trying 3-4 cheapo junk on amazon, I sent an inquiry to this site about sizing and style. The guy actually called me at home to discuss, and I ordered the Madison. If they get too warm with sweat socks during the day, I can switch to a thinner sock or go barefoot. I also have a pair of My (Pillow) Slippers. Not bad, but one side fits fine and the other heel is a bit loose. Weird feet - nice slipper.

Thanks for posting the link my friend! Have you ever tried the lambs wool insert? I have a pair of slippers/(actually loafers) that are a tad too big, I wonder if they would make them warmer and tighter?

I think my lovely WD should blow 10.95 USD on me for Christmas this year anyway. I'm worth ALL of that!

Edit: it's 78 in here.....the joys of wood heat! Always too hot or too cold.

Edit: it's 78 in here.....the joys of wood heat! Always too hot or too cold.

I like you so I won't tell my 50 yo daughter, who lives in NC. If she knew that I knew someone whose house was 78, she'd be on your doorstep tomorrow asking to stay. Pre-covid, she would visit us bringing heavy pajamas and wool blankets. Her younger sister is the opposite and says our place isn't cold enough. We sometimes wonder if both our kids weren't switched at birth.

FarmerTan

I like you so I won't tell my 50 yo daughter, who lives in NC. If she knew that I knew someone whose house was 78, she'd be on your doorstep tomorrow asking to stay. Pre-covid, she would visit us bringing heavy pajamas and wool blankets. Her younger sister is the opposite and says our place isn't cold enough. We sometimes wonder if both our kids weren't switched at birth.
I'm a sissy. I want to live where it's this: 60 degrees at the coolest and 78 at the absolute warmest.

THAT is why I need to become a Millionaire AND a jet pilot.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Big fan of Haflingers here, both for comfort and support. Problem is, they don't last. Mine are in tatters after only five years. The felted wool uppers have big toe holes and are coming unglued from the soles.

I have heel spurs and am prone to plantar fasciitis. The Haflingers have prevented any recurrence, but for $120, I'd expect more than five years of life.

Now I need to go find the duct tape and do some mending, see if I can squeeze a few more miles from these old dogs.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Big fan of Haflingers here, both for comfort and support. Problem is, they don't last. Mine are in tatters after only five years. The felted wool uppers have big toe holes and are coming unglued from the soles.

I have heel spurs and am prone to plantar fasciitis. The Haflingers have prevented any recurrence, but for $120, I'd expect more than five years of life.

Now I need to go find the duct tape and do some mending, see if I can squeeze a few more miles from these old dogs.
Have you looked at sheepskin? Very forgiving of foot irregularities.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Have you looked at sheepskin? Very forgiving of foot irregularities.
Interesting, as I find sheepskin both hot and uncomfortable. Just don't like all that wool sticking up between my toes. Anyway, my feet seem happier on firm insoles with a pronounced arch and heel.

Thanks for the tip anyway.

I have Haflingers wool clogs and love them but they do start to break down after a couple years of heavy use (with no socks in my case so the moisture speeds up the breakdown of materials).

I used to buy the wool clogs LL Bean sell and was happy with them but they only went to size 13 so no longer work for me…

I’ve suffered with PF for years and found that gently stretching (upwards) my big toe and the one next to it and holding the stretch for 10 seconds, provides the greatest relief…I can delete this part of my post if what I just wrote is considered “medical advice.” Or, “unwanted” advice - LOL 😂

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I’ve suffered with PF for years and found that gently stretching (upwards) my big toe and the one next to it and holding the stretch for 10 seconds, provides the greatest relief…I can delete this part of my post if what I just wrote is considered “medical advice.” Or, “unwanted” advice - LOL 😂
Sounds like perfectly legitimate layman's advice. My PF got so bad, I had to wear a night brace to bed in addition to taping my feet during the day. Don't want to have to do that again.

I hated that night brace. I had PF in 2014-15. I was retired, never go to doctors, and ignored the signs for far too long until a vacation where it got so bad that I couldn't leave the hotel room. By the time I went to a foot doctor, I needed multiple shots of cortisone, and 6 months of physical therapy to get back to normal. Don't ignore heel pain thinking it will go away.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I hate to admit it but I wear Crocs exclusively as slippers in the house. I would never wear them in public beyond getting the mail, but they are amazingly comfortable and dirt cheap. About $25-40 a pair.

I own lots of high end boots and shoes (Alden, Red Wing, AE, Adidas Ultra Boost, etc.) but you can’t beat Crocs as slippers IMO.
Slippers are probably the best application for Crocs. That’s what I use mine for. They’re soft and easy on the floors, too.

FarmerTan

I hated that night brace. I had PF in 2014-15. I was retired, never go to doctors, and ignored the signs for far too long until a vacation where it got so bad that I couldn't leave the hotel room. By the time I went to a foot doctor, I needed multiple shots of cortisone, and 6 months of physical therapy to get back to normal. Don't ignore heel pain thinking it will go away.
I have been blessed with incredibly healthy feet.

As a nurse I saw SO MANY people that weren't. So sad.

I was a Cosmetologist since 17 and a floor nurse for the vast majority of that career. I always joked that if God ever designed anyone to stand up for a living it was me.

Now that I am forced into retirement my feet protest when I'm on them for too long, but still, I have NO right to complain.

And you are right my friend: never ignore foot pain, or any pain for that matter. There is usually a reason when we hurt.

Top Bottom