What's new

August 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I just decided that I will purposely skip the September GRUME to see if I can survive alone in the wild ;) .

I might be over the hump by now. No massive cravings for brushes or vintage razors. I’m set for software/blades and unless someone discontinues a well loved product FOMO should be in check as well.

I would still splurge on AS but ran out of space so again small chances that I will go hog wild.

I plan to be back for Tabac/OCtober to report and enjoy the camaraderie here.

All the best Gentlemen!
This post worries me 🫣

Date:26.08.2022 Fatip Friday
Focused participations:26/31 Days in GRUME (out at 64.52%)
236/238 in 365 days of shaving (99.11%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
High Efficiency Razors Summer
Mild to Medium August
All Aventus August
Razor:Fatip Piccolo Mixed Metal Gentile
Blade:Dorco Titan (6)
Brush:Omega Super Badger
Soap:The AlphaMen 2.0
Bowl:Face lather
Preshave:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:New Floïd’s (A/S)
Executive Man (Balm)
Passes:WTG (NE-SW) | Gillette Slant
XTG (W-E) | Slightly Gillette Slant
ATG (N-S) | Alternating Gillette Slant
Efficiency:9/10 (15 minutes)
Quality:8/10 (One tiny weeper I think)
Comfort:9/10 (Smooth)
Effectiveness:8/10 (BBS-)
Notes:
Easy going shave today. And based on the Titan’s performance yesterday’s ST was indeed too rough so retired that one on the spot.

The Gentile provided a close and comfortable shave although less effective than the Originale if I am honest. Still great razor and excellent result.

According to my tracking info the New Flat Bottom is moving in the right direction!

Thinking about the September GRUME, but also wanting to get a vintage Lather Catcher. Anyone have one they would consider trading? I have a few things I could get rid of, including a nice Parker Variant (adjustable). If interested PM me, I can offer the usual pictures with identity as required in the BST forum.

Friday August 26 - Still in

Fatip Open Comb Slant
Rapira Swedish Supersteel (3)
Yaqi Red Marble 24mm
La Toja
RR American Barber

IMG-4741_DSC_4741 (2).JPG

Day 26, 83.9% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Wizamet SI #3
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

Didn't need a first class shave, but I got a perfect bowl lather, so made the most of it with a near-BBS.

I think I've spent more money on shaving goodies in the three or so weeks I've been a member here than the past three years! I have GOT to stop joining hobby forums (even though shaving isn't a hobby for me, it's a diagnosed illness. Yeah, that's the ticket, a diagnosed illness...:rolleyes1

I think I've spent more money on shaving goodies in the three or so weeks I've been a member here than the past three years! I have GOT to stop joining hobby forums (even though shaving isn't a hobby for me, it's a diagnosed illness. Yeah, that's the ticket, a diagnosed illness...:rolleyes1
And welcome to Enablers, Inc - you join we enable. Because we care. :cuppa:

Oh and +1 on the joining and spending. I was perfectly fine before joining - now….well GRUME is as close to the shaving equivalent of AA as you can get!

Guido

Date:27.08.2022 Anniversary Saturday
Focused participations:27/31 Days in GRUME (out at 64.52%)
237/239 in 365 days of shaving (99.11%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
High Efficiency Razors Summer
Mild to Medium August
All Aventus August
Razor:Razorine Flatboy with KCG handle
Blade:Shark Chrome (1)
Brush:Unbranded synthetic
Soap:The AlphaMen 2.0
Bowl:Face lather
Preshave:Cold splash
Postshave:Alum
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)
Proraso Green (Balm)
Passes:WTG (NE-SW) | Gillette Slant
2x XTG (W-E) | Slightly Gillette Slant
Efficiency:9/10 (15 minutes)
Quality:5/10 (Cut near Adam’s apple)
Comfort:5/10 (Bit rough)
Effectiveness:6/10 (DFS-)
Notes:
Not what I had hoped for today. It started out alright with blade feel but nothing wrong with that.

On the first pass on the neck a huge user error made an end to the smoothness. I decided to do SE-NW after my usual NE-SE. Under normal conditions that is no problem at all. I was holding the Flatboy and this the blade perpendicular to my neck during that decision. And that’s when the Shark saw its chance for blood. All week during Shark week nothing whatsoever. Let your guard down on a random Saturday and you get bit. At first I thought it was just a nick, but as I progressed to my other cheek I was seriously drawing blood. So much so I had to bring out the alum which was tucked away in my cabinet. And of all the days I could have picked I choose my anniversary (the mrs had similar thoughts when I came downstairs)!

Glad at the moment I did not stock up on Sharks after Shark week, because this was no fun at all. I am going to place it on user error, but next time my preferred blades go first.

Bought a DVG synthetic to console myself. And tonight we are having dinner with the family to celebrate - she lights up my world. Period.

linty1

My wallet cries.
6AB4AE9F-A4F8-40F9-896E-DC0F7A4EDCB7.jpeg

Still in.

Wanted to give this brush some more kilometres, I've resigned myself that this Arko's recipe borrows from the "everlasting gobstopper", I've been at it for a while now and it's still got.. a good 2cms+ thickness? I think its been lasting better than the mwf.

The year long Sabaticcal sounds interesting, when does the sign up/link for the 2023 come out? I have enough... of everything, its basically brushes that might trip me up.

View attachment 1512084

Still in.
<snip>

The year long Sabaticcal sounds interesting, when does the sign up/link for the 2023 come out? I have enough... of everything, its basically brushes that might trip me up.
I see the Shave Purchase Sabbatical was announced the 25th of November for 2020 and the 8th of December for 2021 so it varies. For 2022, it was announced on the 25th of December.

Last edited:
Pictures were promised. The mail delivered my New Flat Bottom today - she was in a funky situation and with lemon, warm water, elbow grease and a soft toothbrush I have managed to make her look like this:

D9DC0348-DDA7-44E6-8E05-4B8482AAECF5.jpeg

E4657E90-47AE-43EF-BC8F-A1C9CCE41211.jpeg

8F4779DE-51B1-49E8-B02D-B6373C1B210A.jpeg

Cannot wait to have a shave - in fact I think I will now!

She is a gem found on the Bay at page 3xx in a packaged deal with a Rolls razor (not my thing really).

Guido

Last edited:
Top Bottom