What's new

The BRGAS (Back Roads Gold Appreciation Society)

Looking forward to joining the club!
I just started dipping my toes into vintage razors and have already acquired 3. One is a 63' Super speed that's in like new condition and doesn't require any work at all. The second is a 74' black handle Super speed in great condition. Third is a Red Tip that I plan on replating with Chris when he gets up and running again. I paid $20 for it! I've never had anything replated and I know other places exist but I've heard nothing but good things about him. So I'd rather wait and have it done right. The razor is to be used in rotation and not a collectors piece so I want to be able to shave with it as if it was new. The issue will be choosing the finish. I like the original nickel but also the gold plated. But I guess I have some time to think about it!
This one:
View attachment 1495569
Very nice. I'm still looking to acquire one of those "Reds".

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a British Flat Bottom Tech on the way. I can't tell from the photos its exact condition but I plan to shave with it for a while and if I like it, I'll have Chris replate it in mirror nickel.

This will be my first venture into DE shaving, other than using a Lupo Aluminum for one shave.

I have a British Flat Bottom Tech on the way. I can't tell from the photos its exact condition but I plan to shave with it for a while and if I like it, I'll have Chris replate it in mirror nickel.

This will be my first venture into DE shaving, other than using a Lupo Aluminum for one shave.
I have to say I'm surprised. I thought you had been shaving with a DE for years and just preferred a single-edge.

Very nice. I'm still looking to acquire one of those "Reds".
I found mine on Etsy from some store that specializes in antiques. They don't sell razors!
It got posted and I think I was the first to see it, Lol!
It just shipped today so we'll see how it is. Based on what I see, it looks like a good candidate for replating.

I found mine on Etsy from some store that specializes in antiques. They don't sell razors!
It got posted and I think I was the first to see it, Lol!
It just shipped today so we'll see how it is. Based on what I see, it looks like a good candidate for replating.
Right on man. That's a score in my opinion.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have to say I'm surprised. I thought you had been shaving with a DE for years and just preferred a single-edge.
Our youngest son got me off the cartridges. I started with the Trac 2 when I got back to the States for a couple years in Indonesia after HS. I had been using Gillette cartridges ever since.

I got my Claymore Evolution on Feb. 18th.. not sure why that date is secure in my old mind, but it is. That was my first real exposure to traditional wet shaving since I was a teen. I borrowed one of my mom's razors off and on during those early teen years. My dad was an electric razor shaver so that's what I started with but I always got razor burn with them. My parents used to buy me the latest and greatest electric for Christmas every year from probably 15 until I graduated from HS. I remember taking one with me to Indonesia in 1971. But it was incompatible with their power system there.

Anyway, I've been having a blast this past 5 months. This is a very enjoyable hobby and the shaving results are stellar too. I was sort of shocked at the closeness of the shaves. My wife even commented after my very first shave.

Last edited:
Go with the original nickel.

~doug~
I don't know, tough choice! This looks pretty amazing;):

il_794xN.4019619671_njcr.jpg

Thanks to @Cal for the invite, and request for some photos. Grabbed some shots of work Chris has done for me over the years. It's a bit Picture Heavy😂

So, I've got one or two of these, that's not all of them, but I need to find the other few to store away with these:

tempImageksF4HI.jpg

The following razors have either been replated or tuned up by Chris:

tempImagehWJlzK.jpg

tempImagepj57Tc.jpg

IMG_1935.jpeg
IMG_1936.jpeg
IMG_1937.jpeg
IMG_1938.jpeg
IMG_1939.jpeg
IMG_1940.jpeg
IMG_1941.jpeg

Chris does great work. Very reasonable as well. A shame he is not doing Rhodium anymore, but I get it with the cost and not wanting to risk contaminating an entire bath with where spot prices have been.

A little more of his work:

Baseplate on my Gamechanger 84:

20210815_104741.jpg

20210815_105642.jpg

Lupo 72 SB in gold:

20210823_074553 (1).jpg

Gillette NEW SC in nickel:
20210809_195257.jpg

Lupo 95 SB base in copper
Freshly plated:
20220613_162911.jpg

And developing patina:
imageedit_5_8985019910-1.jpg

This week I plan to ship Chris my Dad's 1963 Slim (nickel replate) that he used 6 days a week for 33 years and my Lupo 95 OC baseplate for some copper TLC. I love his work and have the highest respect for him. I especially like how he has the updates built into his web site and updates every day so the clients are never in the dark as to what's up with their cherished razors. Also his turn around time is impressive.

A little more of his work:

Baseplate on my Gamechanger 84:

View attachment 1502265

View attachment 1502266

Lupo 72 SB in gold:

View attachment 1502267

Gillette NEW SC in nickel:
View attachment 1502268

Lupo 95 SB base in copper
Freshly plated:
View attachment 1502269

And developing patina:
View attachment 1502270

This week I plan to ship Chris my Dad's 1963 Slim (nickel replate) that he used 6 days a week for 33 years and my Lupo 95 OC baseplate for some copper TLC. I love his work and have the highest respect for him. I especially like how he has the updates built into his web site and updates every day so the clients are never in the dark as to what's up with their cherished razors. Also his turn around time is impressive.
That almost has a blue sheen to the handle. I agree Chris is the best. I also love the little status spreadsheet, and turn times are fast. He’s one cool dude. I saw a YouTube video he posted on the off grid school bus he built. In reality I think he is actually Daryl from the walking dead. Definitely the off grid guy you want on your team. Your dads slim will come back in great shape. Dudes a master.

I tossed a box full of junk parts into the mail yesterday. I've got misc. handles, caps and bottom plates for a New Short comb, #175 Goodwill, and an Old Type. They're all cheap junk from Etsy & E-Bay, corroded and worn off finish. When Chris is done working his magic, they'll all be flawless pieces of art.

Top Bottom