What's new

What do friends & family think about your hobby?

Isn’t it great to be able to share a passion, to debate, ask for opinions, discover remarkable new things through talking?
People have the best craic chatting about sports, music, films, food or whatever they have in common. But shaving? Not much of a selection there… 😂

Why'dya need more than one razor? Shaving brush? Can’t be bothered! You’re using soap TO SHAVE??

I hear people getting excited about IKEA! Or a fridge, a cat licking a spider caught inside a turtle shell, the speed of an electric toothbrush, a TV debate about toes or a proud hairy woman that needs shaving! But the actual shaving?

- Look at this gorgeous razor I just bought! Really rare!
- Aye mate, good for you. How much? Did you watch Ronaldo’s goal last night?

My shaving topic lasts 3 min. Then there’s the *caugh-caugh* signal, followed by a sudden change of subject. 😂

At home?
- Are you gonna have a shave?
- Yes. Give us a pint, will you?
- Oh! When?? *shouting* Órlaith, go get your stuff from the bathroom NOW, your daddy’s having a shave!!
Let me get ready first, you’re gonna be there for ages!

Sometimes I speak about shaving at work. Well.. it’s a bit different, they’re colleagues, they can’t be THAT blunt, can they? So I say “I’m having my moment now! Try to stop me!” And while everyone’s on mute, I realise that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM has their eyes literally popping out of their heads, staring at me like I’ve got 4 pairs of ears! And if, by accident, one miserable morning I show up with a stubble… Oh…
- You haven’t shaved today! (With a filthy, glorious grin!)
- Umm, didn’t have time. You haven’t shaved either!
- Yeah, but I don’t have 30 razors at home! (followed by a cheeky “haha” , then a full crowd cheeky “haha”)

So I was just wondering how‘s life treating you… 😁 Any close friends genuinely interested in your hobby?

Cheers gentlemen and keep shaving! 😆

Bo

P.S. Cheers everyone!

image.jpg

Friend A has a Leaf I think. He tried Feather AC razors but didn't stick. Last time I asked what he was using he didn't bite.

Friend B Has a beard, but, when he shaves it is with a DE.

Both have been pifed kit by me at one time or another.

Dad wears a beard. He has a New long comb, (it was his girlfriends Father's), some straights, and probably a cartridge razor or two. He used a a Gillette Sensor or an electric as long as I can remember. He has interest in their history.

My brother is not impressed with collecting things. He wears a little facial hair. He knows it is my hobby.

I don't talk about shaving with relatives. I don't talk about shaving with friends or colleagues. It is just irrelevant. They can't understand why I have 250+ razors. 65 brushes, lots of AS and many thousands of blades. Let's not forget, for 99% of people "it's just shaving".

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Our youngest son got me into wet shaving. He has a beard and only cleans up his cheek and neck line. He thinks I'm nuts now.... like he helped create a shaving monster. lol

He doesn't even use soap. I bought him a shaving bowl and gave him a couple soaps and my old Vulfix badger super that I bought years and years ago. And I gave him an ESC Claymore Evolution for a trial run, to see if he likes it. He says it clogs more than his Merkur 38C.... which is understandable.... since he's shaving dry.

Anyway, I gave up discussing shaving with him, for the most part. It's just easier. ;)

Mt wife thinks my DE/SE shaving hobby is mildly amusing, and rolls her eyes when I buy a new razor or other gear. However, she's not above using my soap or a brush every now and then. Our son thinks DE razors are quite cool, but has no interest in owning more than the three I've given him. He's also a soap "borrower", but fortunately sticks to using his own synth brush.
A couple of friends, on separate occasions, have mentioned the cost and painful effects of cart/electric shaving during casual conversation, after which I mentioned DE razors. I gave each a razor and a few blades, and I believe one still uses the razor. He's very careful with his money, so will probably continue to do so until either he or the razor expires.
Other than that, I keep discussion of traditioal shaving for B&B. It's the best place for it, and I can be reasonably confident other members will share my interest and not nod off.

What do friends and family think about my shaving "hobby"? They don't. I have a rotating assortment of my razors, brushes, soaps, creams and mugs out on a shelf in the bathroom for 11 years and no one has said a word. My father was born in 1938, same year as the Tech I think, I got him a Rhodium plated Fat Handle Tech for his birthday and told him that this razor came out the year he was born. It has sat in a drawer never seeing the light of day ever since. So yeah, nobody cares and that's fine.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
When I got into SR shaving, all my friends ostracized me and my siblings went and lived overseas. Now I only talk about it to Levy, my dog. She understands and often sits watching me shave.

IMG_20220407_193543.jpg

I think she is developing an interest in wet shaving.

Last edited:
Mrs Ladd is very kind about it all.

She very patiently listens to all my crapping on about the history of razors, designs, King C Gillettes' tendency to wander about in a dirty bathrobe at his friends property in his declining years, etc, etc. All very nice.

She will remark if a shave was particularly efficient, "Did you use one of the open combs?" which is pretty damn impressive in my book.

If I need to talk about shaving or razors or anything related and Mrs Ladd is asleep, well, I post on here.

That's what B&B is for.

Last edited:
Top Bottom