What's new

Blackland Blackbird vs Dart, which is more efficient?

Both have the same efficiency I find. The Blackbird has slightly more blade feel compared to the Dart. Both are great razors.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Which razor is more efficient? I just bought a Blackbird but I'm curious about the Dart.
Compared to which Blackbird? Brass, Stainless or Titanium? :)

Some good info regarding the Dart here:
Thread 'Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)' Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/comparison-of-de-razors-in-my-den-from-75-to-125-usd.600310/

My personal razor evaluation equation:

efficient + smooth + nimble + maneuverable = effective

Given that: The three Blackbirds are slightly more efficient and smoother. The Ti Blackbird, in particular, is one of the most nimble + maneuverable DEs out there. According to my personal evaluation equation, the Blackbirds, especially the Ti Blackbird, are more effective than the Dart.

Why the attraction? Because the Dart provides a good bit of a high-end shaving experience for a very reasonable price. Plus, it's a beautiful razor!
20210131_114311~2.jpg

My Dart remains in my Den - permanently. :)

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The Dart is no longer made. For quite a while already.
It was often compared to the Rocca, to be roughly similar.

I don't have a Dart. But I own a Blacbkird.

Let me compare the Rocca to my Blackbird SB and OC: The Blackbird wins.

Not to make things more confusing but from my experience . . .

Dart is smoother and more efficient than the Blackbird Stainless version, imo.

The Titanium Blackbird is smoother and more efficient than the Dart, imo.

Both variants are the polished version. YMMV.

The Dart is no longer made. For quite a while already.
It was often compared to the Rocca, to be roughly similar.

I don't have a Dart. But I own a Blacbkird.

Let me compare the Rocca to my Blackbird SB and OC: The Blackbird wins.
I had the Rocca latest version and still have the Dart. There are nothing alike and hype on Youtube comparing them made viewers think they’re similar. The Dart is way more efficient and actually smoother than the Rocca. Dart should be compared to a Karve F plate meanwhile Rocca is a Karve D plate, imo.

I still don't understand how the titanium Blackbird is somehow better shaver than the stainless version given the fact that the only difference is the metal and both share the same head geometry. I can understand if people like the lighter version and find or more nimble or like the feeling of titanium more, but how can it be more efficient? Some say that the razor is super smooth and not aggressive at all while others claim that it has a good amount of blade feel and it's not something they would use as a daily razor.

After years of reading razor reviews I came to the conclusion that most reviews rarely make any sense and the experience of one person might be the opposite of another which is why I rarely take any review or opinion seriously anymore.

After years of reading razor reviews I came to the conclusion that most reviews rarely make any sense and the experience of one person might be the opposite of another which is why I rarely take any review or opinion seriously anymore.
This is my approach as well, I read reviews, and try to understand what the user is trying to express but at the end of the day, I can be sure about the suitability of a razor only after using it myself.

I have the Blackbird SS OC machined and I find it to be very smooth, efficient, and frankly downright a pleasure to use, if the need arises I can use it daily as well.

Smoothness is also affected by the choice of blades as well; if I use mild blades in my Blackbird then smoothness is hampered. That's why I use Feather, Nacet, and 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blades in my Blackbird. Using milder blades in an efficient razor is like using lower configuration tires in a performance car.

This is my analogy, YMMV.

Both have the same efficiency I find. The Blackbird has slightly more blade feel compared to the Dart. Both are great razors.
+1 Blackbird does have more blade feel than the Dart. The Ti has less but its still
I still don't understand how the titanium Blackbird is somehow better shaver than the stainless version given the fact that the only difference is the metal and both share the same head geometry. I can understand if people like the lighter version and find or more nimble or like the feeling of titanium more, but how can it be more efficient? Some say that the razor is super smooth and not aggressive at all while others claim that it has a good amount of blade feel and it's not something they would use as a daily razor.

Simply because you can add (slight)pressure and control the aggressiveness of the razor. With the stainless, if you do that and you have a nice cut as result. Only way to find out is try for yourself. That’s why I always state its Ymmv, my opinion, imo, from my experience. Given the blade gap of the Blackbird, it is a very efficient razor

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I still don't understand how the titanium Blackbird is somehow better shaver than the stainless version given the fact that the only difference is the metal and both share the same head geometry.

This. It had been stated that the Ti is “more efficient” than the Stainless or Brass version repeatedly on this forum. I can’t see how that could be. “More effective” … sure. But not more efficient. Someone needs to enlighten us.

This. It had been stated that the Ti is “more efficient” than the Stainless or Brass version repeatedly on this forum. I can’t see how that could be. “More effective” … sure. But not more efficient. Someone needs to enlighten us.

Even on the Blackland website, there are differences in the performance and smoothness between the stainless and the titanium sb versions, which only makes sense if the heads are slightly different. I need to ask someone who had or had the the same gap titanium and stainless Timeless versions to see if that applies there as well, but I think so far I've only seen that difference with the Blackbird razors. I'm not arguing whatever that is possible or not, but I just want to know what is the cause of if.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
As someone who has owned and used every iteration of Blackbird, I can say with confidence that the difference in metals did not increase (or decrease) efficiency at all; rather, the ‘softness’ and post-shave skin conditioning have been increased significantly for me with the polished Titanium Bird. My skin has never felt so ‘babied’ as with this shaver. I’m certain it has more to do with weight and technique than anything ‘magic’ in the metal.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
As someone who has owned and used every iteration of Blackbird, I can say with confidence that the difference in metals did not increase (or decrease) efficiency at all; rather, the ‘softness’ and post-shave skin conditioning have been increased significantly for me with the polished Titanium Bird. My skin has never felt so ‘babied’ as with this shaver. I’m certain it has more to do with weight and technique than anything ‘magic’ in the metal.
The Ti, by virtue of the difference in metal and weight, is much more nimble and maneuverable. It allows me to "drive" the razor, much like I can "drive" the Vector. I perceive that as a very slight increase in efficiency, a slight increase in smoothness and a definite increase in effectiveness. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

This is my approach as well, I read reviews, and try to understand what the user is trying to express but at the end of the day, I can be sure about the suitability of a razor only after using it myself.

I have the Blackbird SS OC machined and I find it to be very smooth, efficient, and frankly downright a pleasure to use, if the need arises I can use it daily as well.

Smoothness is also affected by the choice of blades as well; if I use mild blades in my Blackbird then smoothness is hampered. That's why I use Feather, Nacet, and 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blades in my Blackbird. Using milder blades in an efficient razor is like using lower configuration tires in a performance car.

This is my analogy, YMMV.
Gentlemen - I agree with you that reviews are of dubious value. Each one of us has our own unique combination of face, skin and beard. The only way I know of to understand whether a particular razor works on my face, skin and beard is to buy it and use it - just as @Hannah's Dad did with the Ti Blackbird.

The Ti Blackbird is my favorite modern DE razor, but no single razor will suit everyone. Thank goodness we have so many to choose from. :)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
This is the logical answer. I don't care for titanium. Never have. I prefer heavy razors. But I've had the BB in Stainless and Brass. Although they shave differently as far as face feel, they do have the same level of efficiency.

I also have the CG Level 2 in three different metals. Copper, brass, and Stainless. They all feel differently on the face as well. Same efficiency as well.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
This is the logical answer. I don't care for titanium. Never have. I prefer heavy razors. But I've had the BB in Stainless and Brass. Although they shave differently as far as face feel, they do have the same level of efficiency.

I also have the CG Level 2 in three different metals. Copper, brass, and Stainless. They all feel differently on the face as well. Same efficiency as well.
Do you believe that an individual's face, skin and beard impact the perception of efficiency?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Do you believe that an individual's face, skin and beard impact the perception of efficiency?
Always. That is the very nature of ymmv. But given the same face, I believe that a razor with the same exact geometry will have the same "efficiency" regardless of the metal used to build it. But as you mention, a lighter razor, etc, may change the "effectiveness" overall. Same with a person's technique, prep, lathering skill... all will have impact on the effectiveness of the shave... just not the efficiency of the razor.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Always. That is the very nature of ymmv. But given the same face, I believe that a razor with the same exact geometry will have the same "efficiency" regardless of the metal used to build it. But as you mention, a lighter razor, etc, may change the "effectiveness" overall. Same with a person's technique, prep, lathering skill... all will have impact on the effectiveness of the shave... just not the efficiency of the razor.
I don't disagree with you. It would be an interesting experiment. 🤔

It is all too easy to confuse increased effectiveness with only increased efficiency.

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I don't disagree with you. It would be an interesting experiment. 🤔

It is all too easy to confuse increased effectiveness with only increased efficiency.

For my experience, and as per many conversations here on B&B, I rationalize "efficiency" as a measurement, which is not subjective, and not variable. "Efficiency" is a measure of gap versus exposure. It measures how much hair a razor can physically cut. It takes into account the gap between the blade and the baseplate, and how much blade sticks out of the razor past its cutting plane. It has nothing to do with how a razor feels on your face, aggressiveness, smoothness, effectiveness, or any other subjective variable. All of those other terminologies are subjective, and will be based on a variety of variable criteria, such as prep, skin sensitivity, beard map, etc. Those are my two cents. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom