What's new

Gillette Nacet Lovers - Is there anything better?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I’m referring to the SS in the purple and white tucks
1646602141252.png

Anyone tried the asian or thai nacet? How does it compare to the russian one?
I think those are the ones with red or burgundy coloured packaging. I preferred them to the Nacet Stainless but I don't really like the Nacet Stainless. They seem to me identical to the Russian Super Stainless, which just don't agree with me.

If you can find Nacet Platinum (no longer made), snap them up.

I think those are the ones with red or burgundy coloured packaging. I preferred them to the Nacet Stainless but I don't really like the Nacet Stainless. They seem to me identical to the Russian Super Stainless, which just don't agree with me.

If you can find Nacet Platinum (no longer made), snap them up.
More Info

More Info

Possibly the same blade. I think the ones I had were for the Siamese market but they will surely have been made in China.

I tried a Nacet not too long after I started wet shaving and it chewed my face up something awful. Nicks, weepers, irritation, and even some ingrown hairs for good measure. All in all it was an unpleasant experience.

"Too sharp" I said and banished it to the Ziplock Bag of Crappy Blades.

Four months later I tried one again and it gave me three great shaves with no irritation.

Nacet is a great blade but can be dangerous in the hands of a beginner.
I did the same thing though with a razor. My first DE was very mild, and I went and bought a Muhle R41. I put that down after one shave and picked it up 5 years later!

It's interesting that I place them exactly the opposite.
I am relatively DE shaving so perhaps they are a bit too sharp, and I can't seem to go as fast. However, with the GSB, the shave-to-shave consistency in terms of sharpness seems to be a bit smoother and predictable. With the Nacet, it seems to drop dramatically after 2. Does this happen to others?

Have had three (3) DFS with GSB; first time I've tried these. Only other blades I've tried so far are Astra SP which are good for me. Nacets are on the way and I have two (2) each of 18 other blades to try. No hurry as I am thoroughly enjoying the trip.
I have had some weird experiences with the Astra SP recently, saw a couple people mention that something with production changed, and the price dropped. Definitely doesn't seem like the blade it used to be. Anyone else has this experience?

I am relatively DE shaving so perhaps they are a bit too sharp, and I can't seem to go as fast. However, with the GSB, the shave-to-shave consistency in terms of sharpness seems to be a bit smoother and predictable. With the Nacet, it seems to drop dramatically after 2. Does this happen to others?

I have only used a couple of GSB blades from my blade sample a while ago and from what I remember, they were good, but nothing spectacular, but that's just my opinion and we all know that blades perform different on everyone. About the longevity of the Nacet, GBS or any other blade is also debatable, but I no longer use any blade more than 3 times, unless the blade allows me to get to it's 3rd use that is. With my go-to blades my first two shaves are the best and the third one is usually very good with a slighty noticeable degradation and after that is the shaves range from good, ok/meh to not very good. I just came to the conclusion that life is too short for me to squeeze blades just to get an extra shave, which more often than not is unpleasant to say the least.

Have had three (3) DFS with GSB; first time I've tried these. Only other blades I've tried so far are Astra SP which are good for me. Nacets are on the way and I have two (2) each of 18 other blades to try. No hurry as I am thoroughly enjoying the trip.

-YMMV-

There are lots of variables in play, especially if one is new to DE shaving in particular. Most notably shaving technique, but just as importantly is building lather with various soaps and creams. Not all soaps (or bases) provide the same cushion, density, or slickness which may be a contributing factor to a blade's perceived performance. I tend to keep variables to a minimum when trying new blades and try to keep to the same H/W. Typically I bin a blade after 3 uses; even if I feel it has more to give.

For me, this amounts to trialing using my daily (Mühle R89) while trying to keep to a small rotation of quality soaps and creams. My more aggressive razors periodically come into play depending on my skin condition and duration between shaves.

Interesting to note that what I love in my r89 is not necessarily compatible to my R41 love-list (as well as the razors in between). The fun is in finding what works for you. Keep a log and definitely track your 4.5 to 5 star blades. Once you've honed technique, it would be entertaining to try some of the blades that didn't fare well in your initial log. I've read multiple accounts here which were surprised at how well a blade performed lately versus when they were still trialing blades...

For the record, I've only sampled 20 different blades and only had 1 legitimate poor experience. I plan on returning to that blade in a while; just not sure I'm ready to experience the possibility of the same outcome yet :o11:

I have had some weird experiences with the Astra SP recently, saw a couple people mention that something with production changed, and the price dropped. Definitely doesn't seem like the blade it used to be. Anyone else has this experience?
I got some laser printed Astra SP blades that came with a razor and put one (1) in a Henson AL13 mild and the experience was not good. I had two (2) Astra ink printed blades (they have the 1/2 & 3/4 on each side) from a sampler pack and they were much better. Not sure of the difference but I am still a fan of Astra. I need to get on with trying all of these other blades I have.

Nacet is a phenomenal blade! Nacet & Feather are my #1 blades. Nacet lasts 7 - 9 shaves, Feather lasts 2 shaves.
I have more limited experience with blades. I've done a few sampler packs. Part of the problem is that my technique can be a bit wobbly. Anyway, point is, I've heard a lot about Nacet and I picked a sampler pack that has them (it hasn't been ordered yet, trying to make my mind up on what soaps I want). I've used Feathers a lot, but not as my main go to, because they can be a bit harsh if I'm not extra careful, so save them for slow leisurely shaves, not 'run to get out the door'. I was wondering if you could just mention a comparison of the shave between the two? I've found Feathers don't last long, so glad to know it isn't just me.

Top Bottom