What's new

Gillette Nacet Lovers - Is there anything better?

I have more limited experience with blades. I've done a few sampler packs. Part of the problem is that my technique can be a bit wobbly. Anyway, point is, I've heard a lot about Nacet and I picked a sampler pack that has them (it hasn't been ordered yet, trying to make my mind up on what soaps I want). I've used Feathers a lot, but not as my main go to, because they can be a bit harsh if I'm not extra careful, so save them for slow leisurely shaves, not 'run to get out the door'. I was wondering if you could just mention a comparison of the shave between the two? I've found Feathers don't last long, so glad to know it isn't just me.
In my experience, Nacets are nearly as sharp as Fearhers, and much smoother. And Nacets last a lot longer. But this is only my opinion. YMMV.

I have more limited experience with blades. I've done a few sampler packs. Part of the problem is that my technique can be a bit wobbly. Anyway, point is, I've heard a lot about Nacet and I picked a sampler pack that has them (it hasn't been ordered yet, trying to make my mind up on what soaps I want). I've used Feathers a lot, but not as my main go to, because they can be a bit harsh if I'm not extra careful, so save them for slow leisurely shaves, not 'run to get out the door'. I was wondering if you could just mention a comparison of the shave between the two? I've found Feathers don't last long, so glad to know it isn't just me.
Feather is an incredibly sharp & smooth blade. Too bad it only gives 2 good shaves then it's in the trash. The Nacet is an excellent blade only a fraction behind the Feather, IMHO. The Nacet gives a consistently sharp, smooth shave through the life of the blade, which for me, is 6 - 9 shaves. Is there a difference between the two? There certainly is, & a noticeable difference. Is it significant enough to put Nacet in a lower class of blades? By no means! Nacet is #1 or #2 in my den due to the quality of shave I get, not because of the longevity of the blade.
In my experience, Nacets are nearly as sharp as Fearhers, and much smoother. And Nacets last a lot longer. But this is only my opinion. YMMV.
Agreed completely.

I always struggle with this stuff. I don't care how long a blade lasts; I always toss them after 3 shaves. I care about sharpness and smoothness over those three shaves. I found that, for me, the NACET is great shaves 1-3, GSB is smooth shaves 2-3. Polsilver is also very consistent, and my favorite, but of course when they are gone, they're gone.

I always struggle with this stuff. I don't care how long a blade lasts; I always toss them after 3 shaves. I care about sharpness and smoothness over those three shaves. I found that, for me, the NACET is great shaves 1-3, GSB is smooth shaves 2-3. Polsilver is also very consistent, and my favorite, but of course when they are gone, they're gone.

I've been doing the same thing for the past few months and I'm never going back to my usual - use the same blade for as much as you can just to squeeze a shave or two out of it with the risk of getting a mediocre, meh or a bad shave in the process. All of my favorite blades last at least 3 great shaves and after that they get replaced. I really wish I could push a blade for 10 or more shaves like some folks claim they do, but I just can't.

It’s not of utmost importance to me. Function over form will always take precedence in my perspective. Up until recently I too binned at 3 irrespective of make and may continue that mode to use up “lesser” blades.

For grins and giggles I have foregone that notion for the time being (Excalibur). I was pleased to find out for myself, I was able to use 3 blades last month without detriment over 25+ shaves and honestly could have gone with just 2 Crystals.

I’m less inclined to try and endurance a Feather or Kai, that’s for sure.

Just my .02

Just used a Nacet for the first time today.

I loved it.

Put it in a Rockwell 6S on the R4 plate. Before this morning, I had a Rockwell blade in there which I happened to have while traveling. On my face, the Rockwell blade was lousy—scrape scrape scrape, getting nowhere.

So maybe the Rockwell blade helped make the Nacet look good, but...

It really was a good shave today. Two passes, with and against the grain, some touch ups. No nicks or weepers, very close everywhere, no irritation. Even did a great job on my neck, with is the real test.

I had been working through a 100-blade sampler, then I bought a smaller, select sampler of what I think of as primo blades (by reputation).

So far the Nacet could be my favorite. I've tried Feather, Gillette Platinum, Wilkinson, Personna, Astra, and many other lesser ones. I have many more good blades to try (Kai, Personna Med Prep, Polsilver, Wizamet, Gillette 7 O'clock yellow, GSB, etc.).

But (hope I'm not speaking too soon) I could stop my search with the Nacet and be happy. Price reasonable too.

Nacets are good blades but not equally good in every razor IME. I have at least 400 Nacets but they aren’t noticably better than many others I use regularly.

I find Nacets to be in the same quality range as Personna Reds/Lab Blues/Med Preps, Wizamets/Polsilvers, Lord Silver Stars, Gillette Platinums, etc.

Yes, but the razor + blade pairing is also something to consider. It's possible your razor and Meds are your best combination.

You might want to try the Nacet last. Otherwise you may loose interest in trying other blades.

All this stuff is very subjective. To add some perspective, I also like Dorco ST301, which is often mentioned in the "worst blades ever" threads.
I never tried Nacets, but for me also the Dorco ST301 work really well, especially in a Yaqi mellon razor. I bought them in a french supermarket (intermarché) in 10 packs under a different name but the wrapper says ST301 (1.29 € last summer 2022 for 10 pack). Sharp yet smooth and effective, good for 5 to 6 shaves for me. Didnt know these were considered as "worst blades ever".
Im not a fan of Astra greens but prefer blades like the Derby premiums and Rapira Platinum Lux , also the Voskhod. Nothing weirder than blade reviews ... 🤓

Love the nacet and still one of my top blades and want to go through my blades one more time then buy a ton more of my fav of favs
I do think Nacet will make that list but went to check price and WOW they jumped up by a LOT ?
Have to wait for a new sale or something YIKES should have got them on a Sale this last week when I saw them so cheap

Have to wait for a new sale or something YIKES should have got them on a Sale this last week when I saw them so cheap

Still on sale this week for $9.99 at the Italian Barber (Sale Page Link). Doubt if you will do better than that!? Time to load up!

proxy.php

100 Gillette Nacet Stainless Double Edge Razor Blades

Last edited:
Yup me to
smoother on top of the sharpness
I'm a daily head shaver and in my experience my major mishaps have always occurred when I use the same blade more than once so to overcome that challenge I'm a one and done. That said, I might just try using the same Nacet blade twice. If I do I will definitely report back on my findings.

Top Bottom