The Lather Maestro
Shave #3 on the Tech

Pre: Shower
Razor: Gillette fat handled tech
Blade: Feather, 2nd shave
Brush: Sterling Synthetic Tuxedo
Soap: Old Tabac
After shave: Thayer's WH, followed by The Veg

Another very close and comfortable shave today. As I was smelling the Tabac lather, it occurred to me that old lady's purse had been attributed to both Tabac and The Veg, and I realized they were meant to go together, so used The Veg again. I'm blessed to be both Chosen and to love the scent of Tabac. Someday, maybe I'll do a poll to see who hates the scent of both products, loves one but not the other, and who love both, like I do.

Anyway, I've already concluded at this point, that this is an amazing razor, that I should not have been ignoring. I also decided Feather is not some uber-blade, worth the price, at least for me. I got a great shave today, but not noticeably better than I got on my 3rd use of my regular 7 O'Clock Black on my first round with this razor. Small weeper on my lower lip today, but otherwise a flawless, comfy shave.

From here on out, I'm not reviewing the Tech, just recording my impressions of all the blades I bought for it. May not be so interesting for the rest of you, but I'll keep it up, if only for my own self.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Shave #4 on the Tech

Razor: Gillette fat-handled tech
Blade: Feather, 3rd shave
Brush: Sterling boar brush (not yet quite broken in)
Soap: Talbot's Shaving Trust (unscented tallow soap)
After shave: Thayer's WH, followed by Pinaud Clubman

Again, don't know how many of you want to still follow this, it's more a way for me to record my blade impressions as I experiment.

The verdict is still that this is an outstanding razor. The shave was not better than on my Merkur 34C, but it was just as good and more comfortable. The conclusion I've come to is I don't need a more aggressive razor than the Tech, a more aggressive razor does not shave me any closer, but they are not quite as comfortable. This should be my go-to razor going forward. Works on my face and beard very, very well. Those with tougher beards may not find this, but this is all the razor I need.

My assessment of the Feather blade is also the same. I rinse in 91% alcohol and dry on a tissue, and the third shave on this Feather was just fine. It was absolutely no better than my third shave on my 7 O'Clock SP Black, however. The Feather is undoubtedly sharper, I am not disputing that, I just don't think it gives me a closer shave. And it is definitely less forgiving. Another thread asked about your "getting away with murder" razor, and I think the Tech fits the bill, but not, perhaps, with the Feather installed. I did have much better luck with the Feather in this razor than in others I've tried it in. The Tech definitely does fit the get away with murder description with my Blacks. I won't be doing more Feathers, I will PIF my leftover blades after sampling them.

Tomorrow, I will go to the much-beloved GSB!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Shave #4 on the Tech

Blade: Feather, 3rd shave
Brush: Sterling boar brush (not yet quite broken in)
Soap: Talbot's Shaving Trust (unscented tallow soap)

Again, don't know how many of you want to still follow this, it's more a way for me to record my blade impressions as I experiment.

The verdict is still that this is an outstanding razor. The shave was not better than on my Merkur 34C, but it was just as good and more comfortable. The conclusion I've come to is I don't need a more aggressive razor than the Tech, a more aggressive razor does not shave me any closer, but they are not quite as comfortable. This should be my go-to razor going forward. Works on my face and beard very, very well. Those with tougher beards may not find this, but this is all the razor I need.

My assessment of the Feather blade is also the same. I rinse in 91% alcohol and dry on a tissue, and the third shave on this Feather was just fine. It was absolutely no better than my third shave on my 7 O'Clock SP Black, however. The Feather is undoubtedly sharper, I am not disputing that, I just don't think it gives me a closer shave. And it is definitely less forgiving. Another thread asked about your "getting away with murder" razor, and I think the Tech fits the bill, but not, perhaps, with the Feather installed. I did have much better luck with the Feather in this razor than in others I've tried it in. The Tech definitely does fit the get away with murder description with my Blacks. I won't be doing more Feathers, I will PIF my leftover blades after sampling them.

Tomorrow, I will go to the much-beloved GSB!

John, do not forget the Gillette Nacets! They are almost as sharp as the Feathers and just as smooth as the Silver Blues!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
John, do not forget the Gillette Nacets! They are almost as sharp as the Feathers and just as smooth as the Silver Blues!

Yes, sir! :D I have (I think) GSBs, Nacets, 7 O'Clock Yellows, BICs, Perma Sharps, Personna Meds, and I got Astra SPs just because I've liked them in the past. Maybe one or two others. I was very happy with my first shave, which is good because I have hundreds of 7 O'Clock Blacks in my den. But having fun experimenting.

My guess is that the sharpness of the Feathers helps with tougher whiskers, but may not necessarily result in a closer shave. Helps mowing down the stubble, but mine is not that tough, I guess. I don't need the sharpness, and I'm looking for a more comfortable blade. Maybe your Nacets are the one!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Yes, sir! :D I have (I think) GSBs, Nacets, 7 O'Clock Yellows, BICs, Perma Sharps, Personna Meds, and I got Astra SPs just because I've liked them in the past. Maybe one or two others. I was very happy with my first shave, which is good because I have hundreds of 7 O'Clock Blacks in my den. But having fun experimenting.

My guess is that the sharpness of the Feathers helps with tougher whiskers, but may not necessarily result in a closer shave. Helps mowing down the stubble, but mine is not that tough, I guess. I don't need the sharpness, and I'm looking for a more comfortable blade. Maybe your Nacets are the one!

John, over the years I have tried ALL Gillette blades. My two favourite, that combine the highest level of sharpness and smoothness for me, are Silver Blues and Nacets.

I did have much better luck with the Feather in this razor than in others I've tried it in.
I haven’t tried them personally yet but from what I’ve read on here Feathers work better with milder razors like the tech, AS-D2, and Feather popular. I’ve found that GSBs work extremely well with the tech

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I haven’t tried them personally yet but from what I’ve read on here Feathers work better with milder razors like the tech, AS-D2, and Feather popular. I’ve found that GSBs work extremely well with the tech

My experience corroborates that ... they work better with a mild razor. But I'm still not a fan, and for me, they are not necessary.

John, over the years I have tried ALL Gillette blades. My two favourite, that combine the highest level of sharpness and smoothness for me, are Silver Blues and Nacets.

And....IME, those two are the best in the two razors you have acquired. I'm a fan of Feathers too. The 'new' light blue Platinums have worked well in early testing as well.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
And ... THERE IT IS!

choir.jpg

Shave #5 on the Tech

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue 1st shave
Brush: TGN 24mm Silvertip in Ever-Ready 150 handle
Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
After shave: Thayer's WH, followed by Stirling SDM A/S

Shave-SDM.jpg

Well, Marco, as usual, did not steer me wrong. Along with many, many others of you. This ranks up there with one of the best shaves of my life. I'll PIF the Feathers, never to try them again, and I will rotate through the rest of the blade sampler I purchased for this razor--but if I were a betting man, I'd wager my search is over.

Thankfully, I loved the first shave I did with this razor with my 7 O'Clock SP Blacks, and I hope I can stay happy with them because I have about 450 of them left. But these GSBs? Astounding in this razor. I will try them in all my razors, and this year for my birthday shave with my birthday quarter Red Tip.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
And ... THERE IT IS!

View attachment 1311090

Shave #5 on the Tech

View attachment 1311099

Well, Marco, as usual, did not steer me wrong. Along with many, many others of you. This ranks up there with one of the best shaves of my life. I'll PIF the Feathers, never to try them again, and I will rotate through the rest of the blade sampler I purchased for this razor--but if I were a betting man, I'd wager my search is over.

Thankfully, I loved the first shave I did with this razor with my 7 O'Clock SP Blacks, and I hope I can stay happy with them because I have about 450 of them left. But these GSBs? Astounding in this razor. I will try them in all my razors, and this year for my birthday shave with my birthday quarter Red Tip.

Yes John, GSBs are MAGNIFICENT in every possible way and in any mild razor.

Nacets are almost equivalent, being ever so slightly sharper, but just as smooth.

Not to derail the thread, but where do you guys get your GSBs? I thought I had found them at a good price on Amazon, but in looking around at other retailers I’m thinking those are probably fake (on “A” they’re about a third of the price as anywhere else).

Since getting back into DE shaving, I’ve only used Feather or Shark Super Chrome blades and I’m looking for a better blade to go with my Rockwell 6s and Rex Ambassador.

Not to derail the thread, but where do you guys get your GSBs? I thought I had found them at a good price on Amazon, but in looking around at other retailers I’m thinking those are probably fake (on “A” they’re about a third of the price as anywhere else).

Since getting back into DE shaving, I’ve only used Feather or Shark Super Chrome blades and I’m looking for a better blade to go with my Rockwell 6s and Rex Ambassador.

I get mine from Amazon seller Super Safety Razors. The key thing is to make sure you get the newer packaging with the sharp edge symbol in the dotted i of Gillette. The older packaged blades have tons of wax on them at the 4 corners of the blade which gets all over everything and makes the blade stick in TTO’s. The newer blades have minimal wax along the center and are much better. The individual tucks also show 5 and a blade symbol, the old ones don’t.

Here’s the packaging you want:

1628893732680.jpeg

Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Shave #6 on the Tech

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue 2nd shave
Brush: Stirling synthetic tuxedo
Soap: TOBS Lavender cream
After shave: Thayer's WH, followed by B&M Reserve Lavender

shave-TOBS-Lav.jpg

Wow, again. This thread was to be my blade journey through this razor, and I may go to Nacets with it after #3 on the GSB, but I am toying with the idea of staying with the GSB and running that in my 1940's style Gillette Super Speed that also arrived. I want to check out both razors. I am thinking maybe integrate that razor into each blade sample. Or do another thread. I'll think on it.

Anyway, one thing I do know is this razor is fantastic. I've been reading about the various New mild razors here with interest, and while I can understand people spending $200+ on a finely machined razor, I'll never do it. I'm not being critical, and elsewhere I've posted I understand this urge as I have not one, not two, but three 1911 style pistols that are each over $3,000 with my modifications to them. That's almost ten large in 3 handguns. :eek2: So I certainly understand why people do that. In fact I wish this was the activity I wanted to get spendy in, not firearms, it would be a lot cheaper! lol But, nope, I think my razor hunting days are likely over, no Timeless or other high-end razors in my future. It will be this, and maybe the SS I'll stick with. I'll go back to my beloved Merkur 34C to check on it, but I am simply gobsmacked by how good this razor is.

This thread was to be my blade journey through this razor, and I may go to Nacets with it after #3 on the GSB, but I am toying with the idea of staying with the GSB and running that in my 1940's style Gillette Super Speed that also arrived

I personally love the Nacets in that razor, but honestly, if you've found a winner with GSB why not run with it.

I think my razor hunting days are likely over, no Timeless or other high-end razors in my future. It will be this, and maybe the SS I'll stick with.

One day in the more distant future, consider also trying a Gillette NEW, and possibly an English-made Rocket. They both offer something that's a bit different but still thematically similar to the Tech and Superspeed respectively. But first enjoy the Tech for a while.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I personally love the Nacets in that razor, but honestly, if you've found a winner with GSB why not run with it.

Because the purpose of this experiment is for me to try lots of recommended blades in the Tech. I bought about a dozen, and I do want to try them all. I already discovered Feathers are not to my liking. But I want to know if I may prefer the Nacets or some other blade to the GSB.

Having fun! I'll save the 1940 SS for another thread and keep going with the Tech, I think.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Shave #7 on the Tech

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue 3rd shave
Brush: Stirling boar
Soap: Talbot's Soaps - Trust

Outstanding shave, again. I'm going to stop with the daily shaves, now, it's become like a journal. I will do each blad all at onece, so next up is Nacet, next post will be shave #8 - #10.

The GSB has certainly lived up to the hype, IMO. I am going to finish up this razor with my standard 7 O'Clock Blacks, but the GSB is certainly in one of my top 5 blades. Easily. Glad I tried them.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Shave #7 on the Tech

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue 3rd shave
Brush: Stirling boar
Soap: Talbot's Soaps - Trust

Outstanding shave, again. I'm going to stop with the daily shaves, now, it's become like a journal. I will do each blad all at onece, so next up is Nacet, next post will be shave #8 - #10.

The GSB has certainly lived up to the hype, IMO. I am going to finish up this razor with my standard 7 O'Clock Blacks, but the GSB is certainly in one of my top 5 blades. Easily. Glad I tried them.

GSBs are in my top 2 blades, the others being Nacets.

And ... THERE IT IS!

View attachment 1311090

Shave #5 on the Tech

View attachment 1311099

Looks like you found Nirvana!! CONGRATULATIONS!! :a29::a29:

Top Bottom