What's new

Experimenting with Fat-Handled Tech and 1940's Super Speed

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Well, I had settled into a boring routine of just using the Merkur 34C, 7 O'Clock SP (black) blades, and about 3 lather products daily for about 5 years. I guess the bloom was off the rose as a new shaver and I had burned out on all the razor, blade, lather buying madness, and needed to settle in for a while. But I came back, and started playing with soaps, at first but then realized I never learned to like my Cooncat Bob New Long comb (too aggressive), so I sold that and then started reading about the love for Techs and Super Speeds here, and often from THE most experienced shavers on the forum.

So, I got on the 'bay and snagged both of these classics, and a '74 (I think) Schick Adjustable just because that and Barbasol was what I started shaving with in high school, and that was the year I graduated. Anyhoo, here are the suspects:

tech.jpg

Tech2.jpg

superspeed.jpg

SS2.jpg

Schick.jpg

Well, shave number one in next post!

Nice razors and good photos, too. Can't wait to hear how things work out.

Wouda killed for that Cooncat Bob LC New, though. Dang! Back in the day I lusted over them but never hit the "buy" button.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Shave #1 Tech review

Well, I put Post #2 in for a place holder to put the shave in, and apparently Edit ability times out in 45 minutes. Ooops.

Shave #1 on the Tech

Pre: Shower
Razor: Gillette fat handled tech
Blade: 7 O.Clock black, 3rd shave
Brush: B&B Omega boar anniversary
Soap: Cella (r)
After shave: Thayer's WH, followed by Cella (red)

Anyhoo, first shave on the Tech. I have a sampler of sharp blades to try, but I've heard folks say try a new razor with your current blade first to get a feel for it, so today I shaved with my normal blade on its 3rd shave. I do remove the blade and dip it in 91% alcohol after the shave and dry it with a tissue, so it was still pretty good.

Fabulous shave! Wow! I never took the Tech as a serious razor for some reason. Some nice gent piffed me one for my son when he was in the Army, and I had it replated for him and gifted it to him, but of course I tried it out first. As others have said you can hardly feel the blade, but I did not get a great shave out of it. My son loves it because my wife is Filipina, so he only has a little stubble on his chin and upper lip and a slight amount around the sideburns to trim, and has to do it 2-3 times a week, but it's hardly "shaving". He loves it though.

So I took a page out of Phil's book @luvmysuper and really concentrated on the blade angle today. I was more present in the whole shave, whereas I had gotten into the bada bing, bada boom unthinking shave routine the last several years. I got a BBS, just a little closer than I usually get with the 34C. I did do a 4th pass on the neck for touchup, but it felt so good! Almost no burn with the A/S. I am flabbergasted, to be honest. I wasn't expecting to be blown away, but the amount of love from the more "senior" and experienced shavers here made me want to try this. Glad I did.

On to a Feather tomorrow, as this is the most preferred blade with the Tech, it seems. I have lots of others to try, but will try the #1 rated combo tomorrow. I think I'll leave the Cella in place, I'm most familiar with it. The Tech is definitely a serious razor. What a shave I had!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Nice razors and good photos, too. Can't wait to hear how things work out.

Wouda killed for that Cooncat Bob LC New, though. Dang! Back in the day I lusted over them but never hit the "buy" button.

Well, it went in about 4 hours on the BST, as I recall. It's a thing of beauty, but I could never get comfortable with it. I hate to tease you with what you missed, but it is sooooo pretty, have to post these.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I picked up those same razors earlier this year (pre-war Tech and NDC-era Superspeed) and love them both. Glad to hear you're enjoying the Tech. My favourite blades with it are Nacets and Israeli Personnas, although I have yet to try a Feather.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I picked up those same razors earlier this year (pre-war Tech and NDC-era Superspeed) and love them both. Glad to hear you're enjoying the Tech. My favourite blades with it are Nacets and Israeli Personnas, although I have yet to try a Feather.

Well, I've got the Nacets, the Personna labs, 7 OC yellow, Kai, Perma Sharps and a few others in addition to the Feathers, will try both razors in the mix, but honestly, this morning's shave with my 3rd day 7 OC Black literally blew my mind. I'm really looking forward to playing with these. And the fun is back in my morning shave. Paging @Marco are you there, buddy? Good Lord, I'm having fun in the mornings again. :D

Last week on a whim I bought a pre-war, fat handle Tech on BST. After eleven years of DE shaving I thought, like you, I ought to try the one razor everybody recommends. And like you, I was blown away by the shave. My regular daily is a Feather AS/D2 which requires a very flat blade angle and a light touch, both of which seem perfect for the Tech. I'm using Cella and blade was a GSB. I think I'll just sell everything now except the Feather and the Tech.

Looking forward to hearing about the Super Speed.

Very glad that you are enjoying the Tech. You have got a very nice one.
Looking forward to your review of the SS, but I don’t see how it can beat the Tech, honestly! There are many high end razors sold today for hundreds of dollars that are based on the Tech

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Well, I've got the Nacets, the Personna labs, 7 OC yellow, Kai, Perma Sharps and a few others in addition to the Feathers, will try both razors in the mix, but honestly, this morning's shave with my 3rd day 7 OC Black literally blew my mind. I'm really looking forward to playing with these. And the fun is back in my morning shave. Paging @Marco are you there, buddy? Good Lord, I'm having fun in the mornings again. :D

I'm always here for you, dear John. :001_smile

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Shave #1 Tech review

Well, I put Post #2 in for a place holder to put the shave in, and apparently Edit ability times out in 45 minutes. Ooops.

Shave #1 on the Tech

Blade: 7 O.Clock black, 3rd shave
Brush: B&B Omega boar anniversary
Soap: Cella (r)
After shave: Thayer's WH, followed by Cella (red)

Anyhoo, first shave on the Tech. I have a sampler of sharp blades to try, but I've heard folks say try a new razor with your current blade first to get a feel for it, so today I shaved with my normal blade on its 3rd shave. I do remove the blade and dip it in 91% alcohol after the shave and dry it with a tissue, so it was still pretty good.

Fabulous shave! Wow! I never took the Tech as a serious razor for some reason. Some nice gent piffed me one for my son when he was in the Army, and I had it replated for him and gifted it to him, but of course I tried it out first. As others have said you can hardly feel the blade, but I did not get a great shave out of it. My son loves it because my wife is Filipina, so he only has a little stubble on his chin and upper lip and a slight amount around the sideburns to trim, and has to do it 2-3 times a week, but it's hardly "shaving". He loves it though.

So I took a page out of Phil's book @luvmysuper and really concentrated on the blade angle today. I was more present in the whole shave, whereas I had gotten into the bada bing, bada boom unthinking shave routine the last several years. I got a BBS, just a little closer than I usually get with the 34C. I did do a 4th pass on the neck for touchup, but it felt so good! Almost no burn with the A/S. I am flabbergasted, to be honest. I wasn't expecting to be blown away, but the amount of love from the more "senior" and experienced shavers here made me want to try this. Glad I did.

On to a Feather tomorrow, as this is the most preferred blade with the Tech, it seems. I have lots of others to try, but will try the #1 rated combo tomorrow. I think I'll leave the Cella in place, I'm most familiar with it. The Tech is definitely a serious razor. What a shave I had!
Just finished a shave with my birth quarter Tech. Hadn't used it in months. WOW! What a wonderful, BBS shave.

I have 2 Techs, both postwar and fat-handled, and one 1953 Super Speed. I prefer the Techs for the thicker handles; the SS seems a toy-like razor with its slim handle. Of course, whenever I use it I get a great shave, so who knows. In any case, Gillette really knew what they were doing back then.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Shave #2 on the Tech

Blade: Feather, first shave
Brush: Omega Professional boar
Soap: Razorock Don Marco
After shave: Thayer's WH, followed by The Veg

Figured The Veg would light up any errors in technique. :D

Well. I am a bit disappointed. No, I got another fine shave today, and The Veg didn't burn any more than usual. It's just that hearing from so many for so long about the heavenly combination of the Tech and the Feather, I expected to hear an angelic choir singing softly during my shave.

Frankly, it was as good as yesterday's shave, but no better. I'm still absolutely delighted with this razor, but also happy to know my remaining several hundred 7 O'Clock Blacks will be put to good use in it. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's shave as it is almost universally agreed that shave #2 on almost all blades is better than shave #1. W shall see. Still, very, very pleased.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this. I’ve been thinking about getting a Fat handle Tech and this helps with the decision process.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Question, were yours replated?

No, they are original. I've had a couple razors revamped, and I've learned it's actually cheaper to pay up for a better specimen in the first place than to get a junker thinking you've saved a few bucks that you then decide to revamp. The cost of that plus two more shipping fees makes just getting a more expensive razor off the 'bay in the first place the better option.

Of course if you come upon a junker yourself at a flea market or something and pay a pittance for it, that may make revamping make sense.

Last edited:
No, they are original. I've had a couple razors revamped, and I've learned it's actually cheaper to pay up for a better specimen in the first place than to get a junker thinking you've saved a few bucks that you then decide to revamp. The cost of that plus two more shipping fees makes just getting a more expensive razor off the 'bay in the first place the better option.

Of course if you come upon a junker yourself at a flea market or something and pay a pittance for it, that may make revamping make sense.
I agree about replating. I’d say in 98-99% of cases it’s not strictly necessary. Of the nine techs in my collection only one of those I’d really consider sending out for replating. And glad you discovered why so many of us recommend techs

Top Bottom