What's new

DE / SE conundrum: What's the best "auto-pilot" razor?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
David, you're like a shaving encyclopedia 😀, always superb input.

I will have to give them Kai Protouch Guard a shot. Perhaps they'll turn my Vector into an auto-pilot for me, too.

Thank you, Dave. You are too kind. :)

I'm interested to see what you think of the Vector/Kai Protouch combination. :cool:

I own a couple of razors, which can fit into the auto-pilot category, but I find the Razorock Game Changer .84 sb, Lupo DC and Schick M to be the best for my skin and beard. I think the Schick is my favorite, because it's both very smooth, extremely easy to use and also very efficient.

My former everyday razor (until the Blackland Tradere SB arrived) and now my travel razor is a Timeless Titanium 0.68. When I began to shave steeper which is now my overall preference the Timeless became more efficient. For me the Timeless matched with a Feather blade is ideal, followed closely by a Nacet. It was too good not to use, and when it became my travel razor I realized how effortless it could be.

My former everyday razor (until the Blackland Tradere SB arrived) and now my travel razor is a Timeless Titanium 0.68. When I began to shave steeper which is now my overall preference the Timeless became more efficient. For me the Timeless matched with a Feather blade is ideal, followed closely by a Nacet. It was too good not to use, and when it became my travel razor I realized how effortless it could be.
I haven't tried the Nacets yet, but found KCG blades excellent in my .68 scalloped.

Somehow a slightly more efficient razor works beter for me then a mild one mainly because I have to put in less strokes which leads to less chance of overshaving = less irritation

RR Lupo 72 and 95 for +2 days of growth
RR Lupo aluminium
RR GC 0.84-P
Merkur progress on 3
Rockwell 6S R5/R6

Somehow a slightly more efficient razor works beter for me then a mild one mainly because I have to put in less strokes which leads to less chance of overshaving = less irritation

RR Lupo 72 and 95 for +2 days of growth
RR Lupo aluminium
RR GC 0.84-P
Merkur progress on 3
Rockwell 6S R5/R6
Well, that's the thing and the point of this thread - I find Timeless .68 SCL ultimately mild on my face AND extremely efficient. That is the kind of quality/ability I haven't been able to find in any other razor (so far).

Well, that's the thing and the point of this thread - I find Timeless .68 SCL ultimately mild on my face AND extremely efficient. That is the kind of quality/ability I haven't been able to find in any other razor (so far).
I've been eying a timeless for a while now if only the price point including shipping to Europe was a little milder...maybe one day

Some great suggestions above!

In many respects we have reached the a similar shaving plateau.

Like Goldilocks, I prefer my daily shaver to be not ‘too hot’ (er, aggressive), nor ‘too cold‘ (er, mild).

‘Just right’ is something in the mild/moderate range paired with a sharp blade. For me, that means the very ‘rigid’ Wolfman WR1 SB, but that’s just where I ended up. Many other options listed would also work just fine!

:thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

I've been eying a timeless for a while now if only the price point including shipping to Europe was a little milder...maybe one day
I'm in Europe, too. I got mine from Goodfellas Smile website for €330, free-shipping. I know, it's tough... but then it is what it is. I don't regret it. On the contrary, it killed the "RAD", so I'm quite content.

RR razors are fantastic, IMHO the best bang-for-the-buck overall. Happy you've found your grail combo!

Thank you.

RazoRock surely has a great line-up, something for almost everyone.

Most importantly they are accessible for me, Timeless, Blackland and such company razors are extremely cost prohibitive and hard to justify when taxes and shipping is considered.

Thankfully Feather blades are available to put the zing in my razors.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a few for the different blade systems out there I have found pleasant to shave with.
DE- Razorock SLOC(tame mid range)
DE- Razorock Lupo.72 or RR GC.84 with a standard blade.(nice midrange razors)
SE- Yaqi Excalibur 50mm with a Protouch Guard or Feather pro blade.(tame mid range)
SE- Gem G bar(tame mid range)
SE- Oneblade Core(mild razor) with a modified Gem coated blade or FHS 10 blade.
Have some great shaves!

+1 on the Henson. Mild or Medium, they are nearly identical.
There is slightly more blade feel on the medium. You cannot feel the blade at all on the mild. It comes down to your preference. I did a 3 pass side by side comparison of the two with no extra buffing, and was shocked that they both gave an identical BBS result. The only difference was the slight blade awareness on the medium.

Top Bottom