What's new

Are natural hair brushes days NUMBERED?

I do like synthetics, and I prefer them as travel brushes precisely because they dry out quickly. For me, one of the most prized attributes of a brush is its ability to retain the heat of the water I used to create the lather. I think badgers rank supreme there. I like boars as well, particularly once I've broken it in fully and the tips are super soft. But a boar, badger and synthetic all do feel different to me and I believe I could do a blind test and tell them apart.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
All this manly man traditional man so I have to kill animals stuff is schoolyard psychology.
That's where it ought to stay.
Once you get everyone on earth to stop eating badgers, pigs and cows, then I'll start thinking about not using their byproducts so it isn't wasted.
Horses aren't killed for their hair.
Since so many animals are killed to be eaten, and the hair and tallow is there anyway, isn't it more wasteful to generate more plastics when hair is already plentiful?

All this manly man traditional man so I have to kill animals stuff is schoolyard psychology.
Once you get everyone on earth to stop eating badgers, pigs and cows, then I'll start thinking about not using their byproducts so it isn't wasted.
Since so many animals are killed to be eaten, and the hair and tallow is there anyway, isn't it more wasteful to generate more plastics when hair is already plentiful?

And they have to all die. Why waste a wonderful replenish-able resource?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Just kidding about the plastic. I don't care how much plastic they make. If humans can put a man on the moon with a computer less powerful than a modern calculator but can't figure out how to properly collect and reuse plastic, then we deserve to choke on it.

Just kidding about the plastic. I don't care how much plastic they make. If humans can put a man on the moon with a computer less powerful than a modern calculator but can't figure out how to properly collect and reuse plastic, then we deserve to choke on it.

I’m not so sure about that. Maybe. Don’t you need petroleum distillates whether they’re recycled or not? I’m really not sure.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I’m not so sure about that. Maybe. Don’t you need petroleum distillates whether they’re recycled or not? I’m really not sure.

I believe there is a maximum reuse ratio, though I don't know what it is.
Any reuse or proper disposal would be an improvement.
Instead we usually just throw stuff in the blue bin and expect it's getting recycled when it is not.
It's going to landfills or overseas where it gets dumped in the ocean.

The whole badger/boar funk thing is an epic overreach. None of my animal hair brushes ever smelled offensive. People talk of badger brushes having such a retched smell as if they were dead decaying badgers. Really mind boggling to me. I think most of the animal hair hate is because animals need to be killed or live in pens to harvest the hair. That is the main selling point of synthetics along with their lower cost.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My dog gets really rank from time to time.
Her other qualities convince me to wash her rather than dump her! :lol1:
20210326_125843.jpg

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
My sniffer isn’t what it used to be, but boars are a bit more robust than badgers.

My current badger; a Silvertip from @MilkCrate ; has no smell at all. My piggy brush isn’t unscented yet, but it feels so nice I could roll it in strong cheeses between uses and not care.

The whole badger/boar funk thing is an epic overreach.

My boar, it smelled like pig ears from the pet store without the hint of hickory smoke. Much fainter now, but lived up to the hype for a while. Totally worth it.

Ha....not at all schoolyard psychology. I was actually trying to give those of you don't give care about it an out that it is a cultural bias. And not outright thinking killing a being for no reason is okay. The fact that a couple of you are doing the equivalent of high fiving each other the concept that badgers are "renewable resources" to be used in any way desired is EXACTLY PROVING MY POINT. You don't want to think about it logically, you don't care, and you actually enjoy trying to needle people saying otherwise. Problem for you is that way of thinking that is passing you by. You may not realize it yet but it is. You'll blame everyone else but its on you.

Also, just because people eat the meat of some animals. Doesn't mean they are raised and killed in a humane way. Nice try, though. The fact is that overwhelmingly badger hair in particular is rendered in China, which doesn't have the same laws about treating animals humanely and that it has been documented that these badger farms used for shaving brushes, house and kill the animals in an inhumane way show it doesn't matter if they are eaten or not.

You really are doing exactly what I was talking about.

Ha....not at all schoolyard psychology. I was actually trying to give those of you don't give care about it an out that it is a cultural bias. And not outright thinking killing a being for no reason is okay. The fact that a couple of you are doing the equivalent of high fiving each other the concept that badgers are "renewable resources" to be used in any way desired is EXACTLY PROVING MY POINT. You don't want to think about it logically, you don't care, and you actually enjoy trying to needle people saying otherwise. Problem for you is that way of thinking that is passing you by. You may not realize it yet but it is. You'll blame everyone else but its on you.

Also, just because people eat the meat of some animals. Doesn't mean they are raised and killed in a humane way. Nice try, though. The fact is that overwhelmingly badger hair in particular is rendered in China, which doesn't have the same laws about treating animals humanely and that it has been documented that these badger farms used for shaving brushes, house and kill the animals in an inhumane way show it doesn't matter if they are eaten or not.

You really are doing exactly what I was talking about.

Would it come as a big surprise for you to learn that most people in the world are not overly fixated on the emotional well-being of pigs and rodents?

@SavoyShave Since you intend to hold your straw men to some standard of logic please invest in some too.

> "Rocks never bio degrade they are fine being in landfill. Just because something doesn't biodegrade doesn't mean using them is unethical."

Says who? How is needlessly filling a finite life landfill with plastic even remotely ethical when there are clearly other choices? And BTW rock among other physical and chemical processes does in fact biodegrade, ie decay via biological means. The most obvious organism are Lichens. Look it up. Not much different than bacteria decomposing and dumping it's mega CO2 byproduct load into the atmosphere from the billions of board feet of burned up timber in Cali you'll never log and build houses from. We should hold Cali responsible for the warming from their negligence.

> "And not outright thinking killing a being for no reason is okay. The fact that a couple of you are doing the equivalent of high fiving each other the concept that badgers are "renewable resources" to be used in any way desired is EXACTLY PROVING MY POINT."

I'm always amused when someone from a thoroughly developed pavement wasteland western nation hops up on their alter to lecture how brown people in the country side of a developing nation should conduct themselves. Killing for food is not for "no reason", killing invasive overpopulated species robbing your food is not for "no reason". Selling the fur to feed your family living in a dirt floor hut is not "no reason". The husbandry of a species of critter for food and income is not for "no reason". Utilizing as much of the animal as possible is firstly respectful and secondary efficient as well. OK, you may (and I) disagree with the methods and I do.

But, let me ask you something. How do you kill a fish when you catch one? Have you ever used a mouse trap? Have you ever wrung the neck of a chicken or rabbit for the dinner table? Axed the head off a Thanksgiving turkey? Shot a Christmas goose from the sky? Ever bow hunted and spent hours carefully tracking your game? How about bought a gill net river run salmon or steelhead from an Indian Tribe in Cali? Or shot a steer at the X with a 22 for slaughter? These aren't always pretty ways to dispatch food. Your for "no reason" rant is irrational, arrogant and at a minimum disingenuous. You are not holier than thou, you are as biased as your make believe straw men only more so. It's about shaving. If you have issues leave them at the door.

Last edited:
Top Bottom