What's new

Thiers-Issard "Le Grelot" 6/8 Half-Hollow C135 Steel - Good first razor?

I'm contemplating getting into straight razor shaving. I was wondering if the Thiers-Issard "Le Grelot" 6/8 Half-Hollow in C135 Steel would be a good first razor? I am looking for an ultra-smooth comfortable experience with an edge that is going to be better smoother than DE or SE blades. Any thoughts?

I have 3 Thiers Issard razors (one of them was my second razor) and they are a great razor, but it depends on who sells it & how well they prepare the edge. Many say they come shave ready, but few do.

A dutch point (rounded nose) makes for a great starter as does the 6/8" size; very popular combination. I have a C135 TI and had no problems making it shaveable (bought it used and it needed restoration).

I'm going to suggest that no matter which razor you buy, it will be some time before the shave equals or surpasses the DE or SE blades you currently use. It takes time to develop the dexterity, muscle memory, and skills needed to use a straight. However when you do, you will never regret it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
+1 like @Straight up said.

It will take you about 30 SR shaves to get to the comfort level of a DE razor. From there on it will only get better.

One thing to do is to SR shave every day. This will help prevent you from forgetting what you learnt from your previous SR shaves.

Good luck and welcome to the gentlemanly art.

I have always wanted to do it but just never gotten around to it. I was thinking about doing a shavette but I have mixed feelings about the comfort of artist club blades even in a SE safety razor. So I thought why not just jump in. My biggest thing is comfort and blade feel. I don't want this experience to be rough (I already can get that with artist club blades in SE safety razors). My second choice might be something from Ralf Aust but I don't know what steel he uses or the qualities of it for face feel.

Here are links to my top 3 -

Thiers-Issard "Le Grelot" 6/8 Half-Hollow from Portland Razor Co. (Hones in house)

As far as Ralf Aust (I found them at Maggards who say they hone them. Anywhere else you all recommend for shave ready?)

Ralf Aust 6/8" Spanish Point, Black Handle (this has buttom side jimping that I like)

Ralf Aust 6/8" Round Point, Black Handle (no jimping it seems)

All nice looking razors, I think the retailers rare reputable but I have never bought a razor from them so can't speak about the quality of the edges. To be honust I don't think you can go too far wrong with any of these 3. Choose the one you like the look of because you'll have it for a long time;my first razor is now 23 years old.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod

Thiers-Issard "Le Grelot" 6/8 Half-Hollow from Portland Razor Co. (Hones in house)

As far as Ralf Aust (I found them at Maggards who say they hone them. Anywhere else you all recommend for shave ready?)

Ralf Aust 6/8" Spanish Point, Black Handle (this has buttom side jimping that I like)

Any one of those three would be most suitable. A Spanish point SR is normally not recommended for beginners, however Ralf Aust heavily mutes the toe of his Spanish points (not my liking) so they should be reasonably safe.

personally, I'd go full hollow vs. half as a starter. I really didn't like 1/2s early on and fulls will give you more/better feedback without additional danger of dicing yourself up.

I picked up a full hollow 6/8 Le Grelot C135 from Griffth Shaving and he does a good esher edge if you ask for it honed. I like the blade, and it became one of my dedicated travelers, because they retain edges well. I caught it on a sale for $130. he's got good looking restored vintages as well if you want to spend a little less.

you can get a Ralf Aust directly from Herr Aust with all the features you want on it in about 2 weeks from the order, wonderfully shave ready.

Maggards has a good rep for honing and service, and Portland has a good rep for customer service.

get whatever point that appeals to you. round points might be a touch safer early, but they're my least favorite point style. a square might dig the toe more as you learn, but the rounds tend to waste real estate to my more experienced mind. the Le Grelot/TI rounds as so slightly rounded with wasted space beyond the edge that they don't really factor to me.

Last edited:
The Thiers-Issard "Le Grelot" is a fine razor that will certainly get the job done. I always recommend starting with a new, good quality, modern production razor. The quality is there and you are not battling against corrosion or the honing mistakes of a previous owner. If it all goes wrong it’s replaceable.

Along with the razor you will need a leather strop and a way to sharpen it. These items are not optional and you will need them right from the start. Make sure to allow for them in your budget. Ideally you will receive them with our before your razor.

Films are cheap, easy and remarkably effective. It’s by far the easiest and lowest cost way to start honing. You get a big grit selection for next to nothing, don’t need to worry about lapping stones and it takes up next to no room. The system remains a good base to build from if you layer branch out into different finishers.

Basic maintenance can be very straight forward. Don’t be put off by it. It’s part of the fun and with the help of the internet you will pick it up very quickly. The spine of the razor is a built in sharpening guide. It’s a clever design that allows you to place the razor flat on the honing surface for the perfect angle. It’s a lot easier than sharpening a knife that has no such guide.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
As well as a brush, soap and straight razor, you will need a decent strop. Heirloom Strops are highly recommend.

For honing I suggest that you set yourself up with a set of three diamond pasted (0.5μm, 0.25μm & 0.1μm) balsa strops.

That should be all you ever need for blade maintenance if starting off with a truly shave-ready SR. If you decide that you want to go down the honing rabbit hole, first consider setting yourself up with lapping film.

If I were in your shoes, I would start with one of the Austs, but I do confess that I am partial to Aust razors because I consider them not only excellent razors but also extremely good value for money.

I also own some vintage Le Grelot razors and these are all lovely razors, but I recall several reports that newer Thiers-Issard razors tend to get water stains rather quickly, so maybe not an ideal razor for starters.

BTW, check with Maggard whether the round point, that I consider ideal for a beginner, can be had or ordered with a jimped tang. Aust offers jimping as an option for his razors and they can be ordered with or without.

Hope you will be happy with your choice…

B.

I'm at probably 100+ shaves with that exact razor from Portland razors and I love it. It's my daily driver.

Their edge was shave ready.

When it comes to straight razor shaving, there are a million ways to accomplish the same goal, and you'll have so many suggestions and threads thrown at you. I certainly felt overwhelmed and didn't know where to start. My suggestion is to get good at shaving and stropping on a cheap beginner strop, and worry about honing later. Find out if you like it first.

I was in the same situation a few months ago, choosing my first straight razor with absolutely no experience. After a lot of reading and research, I went with a 5/8 Aust as I found it to be the best bang for the buck. I ordered from Maggard’s simply because of availability, and was more than satisfied with my purchase. The edge that it came with was fine, but was improved by following the Method to the letter, using lapping film and pasted balsa strops.

I have since also bought a 6/8 from Herr Aust himself. Delivery being closer to a month from date of order for mine. While it is exactly what I wanted, and was well worth the wait, I actually find myself using the 5/8 more. I find the smaller size a little easier to maneuver.

A Tony Miller Value strop is a great choice, and I’d also recommend one from Razor Emporium (I was able to find one someone bought, but never used) as they sell replacement leather for when, not if, you cut it.

Best of luck in your search!

maggards (Brad) can put a good edge on a blade. I've had two honed by him in my early beginnings.

im partial to TI's and or Grelot's. I absolutely love them. if I were ever to buy a seven day set it would be from Thiers.

if you decided upon a TI and it is found to be not shave ready, I would volunteer to hone free of charge if you are in the US. all you would have to decide upon would be final finish (another complete discussion there.)

camo

The TI 6/8 half hollow is a terrific razor. I own one and love it. This half hollow is pretty close to full hollow.

C135 is harder than the German steel used by Ralf Aust and is therefore more work to hone. In terms of learning to hone, you will want to get yourself a beater to learn on.

TI has a reputation for the occasional razor with an uneven grind, so best to buy a TI from a reputable seller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any one of those three would be most suitable. A Spanish point SR is normally not recommended for beginners, however Ralf Aust heavily mutes the toe of his Spanish points (not my liking) so they should be reasonably safe.
I don't see that style recommended a lot for beginners, but when I looked at the pictures, it look relatively safe. As you said, seems muted. Glad to know I am not imagining things! Thanks for the feedback.

personally, I'd go full hollow vs. half as a starter. I really didn't like 1/2s early on and fulls will give you more/better feedback without additional danger of dicing yourself up.

I picked up a full hollow 6/8 Le Grelot C135 from Griffth Shaving and he does a good esher edge if you ask for it honed. I like the blade, and it became one of my dedicated travelers, because they retain edges well. I caught it on a sale for $130. he's got good looking restored vintages as well if you want to spend a little less.

you can get a Ralf Aust directly from Herr Aust with all the features you want on it in about 2 weeks from the order, wonderfully shave ready.

Maggards has a good rep for honing and service, and Portland has a good rep for customer service.

get whatever point that appeals to you. round points might be a touch safer early, but they're my least favorite point style. a square might dig the toe more as you learn, but the rounds tend to waste real estate to my more experienced mind. the Le Grelot/TI rounds as so slightly rounded with wasted space beyond the edge that they don't really factor to me.

Great feedback. Thank you. You mention Esher edge - I think I need to do some more research in the types of edges out there. At this point, I am just looking for something smoother than an AC blade. But it would be great to dial it in even further after some experience. I also appreciate the input to the nuances how how Le Grelot/TI grind their rounds, I will make note of that when comparing to other when I pull up pictures. Thank you again.

Top Bottom